makeover and levelling off

Speaking of sloping pitches. Graves Park have to be the worst in Sheffield!

longley parks quite bad there is one in there that if you stand at one end you only see 2 feet of goalpost's at the other ,ore bole hills used to be like playing on a mountain side ,

I think the gennell was to keep the smelly unwashed away from the posh folk in the seats ;-)

Here's another  copied off an old film

B0LatyUIgAEOYGt_zpsjnwtoxj5.jpg

Here'sanother putting the seats in.

s28976_zps29b75cff.jpg

yep.

You can clearly see it now. Those windows on the older photo are, amongst other rooms, the changing rooms.

Ask the rain which way it would rather go once it had hit the ground.

Even at the Wigan game that got called off cos of the amount of rain coming down you still couldn't see any flow, it just puddled up..

So my guess would be that the rain would prefer to go down into the deep warm soil ?

The river does not appear to have moved in the last 160 years.  Although the Wednesdayite car park seems to have been built on a swamp.

Cue Monty Python quotes....

Those early maps must be wrong

Surely there was a pig farm where hillsborough is built today

The pigs said there was so it must be true.

I think the gennell was to keep the smelly unwashed away from the posh folk in the seats ;-)

Here's another  copied off an old film

B0LatyUIgAEOYGt_zpsjnwtoxj5.jpg

Here'sanother putting the seats in.

s28976_zps29b75cff.jpg

Why is the Pope watching the players train. 

Barberphobia,

The Don was realigned by putting in a new cut downstream of Lepping bridge straight past the old brick works after the ground was established.

The whole of the Don river valley would have been marshy until the land was reclaimed to form the banks of the river that is evident today.

A meandering river is a sign of a mature valley that has a wide flood plain.

The Wednesdayite car park is on the site of the Dam that served the Ward End water wheel & grinding works - now silted up and filled in but still reyt wet - Herries Road cuts across the dam location on the way up to the railway viaduct.

The map also shows the Wards End Dam silted up before the ground was built - possibly as a result of the mess brought down in the Great Flood of 1864 when the Dale Dyke Dam burst at Bradfield which destroyed most of the mills right down to Kelham Island.

244 were killed.

Wednesday moved to Owlerton only 35 years later.

Edited by Flat Owl

The loop around the ground hasn't shifted much in recent history, although I expect the underlying geology immediately underlying the ground are all river deposits.

They obviously didn't check here before they built it....

post-19515-0-52862600-1430937122_thumb.j

Edited by Barberphobia

Those early maps must be wrong

Surely there was a pig farm where hillsborough is built today

The pigs said there was so it must be true.

you know if them buggers found a time machine they wouldnt go look at some great historical event or peer into the future. No they would go back and pop a pig or two at Hillsborough in 1850

There's some intelligent and interesting people on here.  What you can learn on this site is amazing.  

Don't say that, I only came on here because everybody seemed as dumb as me.

you know if them buggers found a time machine they wouldnt go look at some great historical event or peer into the future. No they would go back and pop a pig or two at Hillsborough in 1850

FACT!