makeover and levelling off

If I remember rightly, when you stood on the terracing at the old Baseball Ground in Derby your head and shoulders were only just above pitch level.

That's the first ground I thought of too. I was only on the side terracing though, so not sure if it was the same all the way around.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

If you look at the front wall on both the north & south stands it doesn't look anything like a 6 foot drop from the Leppings Lane end to the kop.

Its definitely a significant slope at the North Stand side.  I see that you haven't got the whole of he stands I those pictures.  I would also be interesting to see how much the Kop drops from South to North. 

I believe there is a slight drop towards the Lep end too possibly on the South Stand side. I am sure that the club once stated a 4'6" NET drop from Lep to Kop. If so it would be possible to take off some of the 'crown' leaving maybe a 2 foot end to end slope.

4'6" could be correct.  A couple of matches back, I compared the slope at each end by observing the stewards stood at either end of the North Stand.  On the west side of the North stand, the bottom row of seats were at the "standing" height (i.e more or less he same level as the pitch) whereas the bottom row of seats on the east side were at head height - I would say that the drop is at least 4'6" and would argue that its, maybe 6" more. 

Edited by shandypants

Why didn't they lower the west stand end of the pitch rather that raise the kop end? Would have improved the view for those in the Lower West.

I think they want to improve drainage by raising the pitch away from the water table a little?

Guest mrbluesky

image.jpg

It was stated by ex groundsman several years ago,remember 6ft spread over the length of a pitch won't look a great deal.

image.jpg

If you look at the front wall on both the north & south stands it doesn't look anything like a 6 foot drop from the Leppings Lane end to the kop.

Guest ben29

Why didn't they lower the west stand end of the pitch rather that raise the kop end? Would have improved the view for those in the Lower West.

Or do both.

From the Lep to the centre line the slope is less pronounced than from the centre line to the Kop?

Also there is a slope from the south kop end down to the north kop end.

The low point is the north east corner.

1:80 is the shallowest gradient for gravity drainage pipes or 'flat' roofing [1:40 is preferable] to prevent standing water.

If the pitch is 100 yards long [or 91.5m] then it is good practice to have approx. 1m difference across the whole length from west to the Kop or half a metre if the centerline is the highpoint and the pitch falls either side to each end?

Edited by Flat Owl

From the Lep to the centre line the slope is less pronounced than from the centre line to the Kop?

Also there is a slope from the south kop end down to the north kop end.

The low point is the north east corner.

1:80 is the shallowest gradient for gravity drainage pipes or 'flat' roofing [1:40 is preferable] to prevent standing water.

If the pitch is 100 yards long [or 91.5m] then it is good practice to have approx. 1m difference across the whole length from west to the Kop or half a metre if the centerline is the highpoint and the pitch falls either side to each end?

But that's quoting gradient required for the pipes - surely the pitch can be flat with the pipes underneath at a gradient to allow drainage?

Chatting to some of the contractors in the cafe this morning who told me that the cladding to give the Leppings Lane end a new makeover will be delivered this week.

They also said that the levelling process will see pitch level rise by over 3ft at the Kop end resulting in the first 2 definitely, and maybe 3 front rows being removed as they would be below pitch level.

I've just messaged one of my mates who has a season ticket on the 1st row of the Kop and has renewed it with no mention of the seats being removed or view being effected. :-)

That's a lot of sub-base material to bring in for surface water to percolate down to the pipe bed level tho' Essix.

If the fibres are 200mm long then the soil / growing medium [sand] / compost mix [does not have to be earth] presumably needs to be 300mm thick minimum.

Depends what level the undersoil heating pipes need to be laid at - presumably within the soil layer? - and then the drainage layer below that - say another 250 - 300mm which is the soakaway pipe depth + 150mm minimum of gravel or clean stone.