makeover and levelling off

lets be honest, whether they improve it or not wont make the slightest difference to us watching.....I've never once thought "that will run through to the keeper" because its running to the Kop end and I'd venture that given most of us have played many times in Concord park we already think Hillsborough is snooker table level....and to put it in to perspective, for anyone who's ever played on the pitch at Penrith Road its about a 6 foot climb from the corner flag to the edge of the 18 yard box at that side!

Dunsbys photos thickens the plot.

Have they raised the pitch over the years or is the low terracing on the South part of an old stand no longer with us?

I recall Dave Barber once saying the the stadium was once in the path of the river and was redirected. He wasn't sure when and could have been redirected well before the stadium was built.

Leppings Lane gets its name from the old 'leaping' or stepping stones across the river on that corner of the where the stadium now is before the bridge was built.

The scoreboard is replacing the old one. South west corner.

Edit. Beaten to the draw. If the old scoreboard is any good they could stick it at the back of the kop to advertise next match to passing traffic maybe.

As long as they keep the sshhhhhh T so passers by know how blades are getting on

Dunsbys photos thickens the plot.

Have they raised the pitch over the years or is the low terracing on the South part of an old stand no longer with us?

I recall Dave Barber once saying the the stadium was once in the path of the river and was redirected. He wasn't sure when and could have been redirected well before the stadium was built.

I think they raised the south terrace up when they put seats in - I am too young to remember but assume this was done for the 1966 World Cup?

s02509.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl

image.jpg

image.jpg

If you look at the front wall on both the north & south stands it doesn't look anything like a 6 foot drop from the Leppings Lane end to the kop.

I beg to differ..If you look at the wall at the end of the North and the wall at the loo end of the South..it would suggests slope of some degree. Now wether that's 6 foot, I'm not sure.

6 foot over 106m is quite a fine gradient.

Edited by fatzooma

Seems like Dave Barber was correct. Cheers Dunsby.

That picture would also explain why a the back of the lower south stand there used to be a deep gennel before it was covered, probably part of the original terracing.

Furthermore, I seem to recall the players now have to run down the tunnel and then run up the tunnel to the pitch.

So, in conclusion, the pitch is the same but the World Cup raised the level of terracing.

Edited by M Royds

Guest mrbluesky

And here is another in front of the railings

buchan1copy_zps600583dd.jpg

Ohhh look at Neil with hair, chubby little bugger as well!

Seems like Dave Barber was correct. Cheers Dunsby.

That picture would also explain why a the back of the lower south stand there used to be a deep gennel before it was covered, probably part of the original terracing.

Furthermore, I seem to recall the players now have to run down the tunnel and then run up the tunnel to the pitch.

So, in conclusion, the pitch is the same but the World Cup raised the level of terracing.

I think the gennell was to keep the smelly unwashed away from the posh folk in the seats ;-)

Here's another  copied off an old film

B0LatyUIgAEOYGt_zpsjnwtoxj5.jpg

Here'sanother putting the seats in.

s28976_zps29b75cff.jpg

Edited by dunsbyowl