Gone far too young

I fully appreciate that it could come across as insensitive but we can't do it for everyone there would literally be 20 every match.

I know this will sound harsh but I go to the football to get away from everything poo in my life. For 90 minutes I forget about all my work and family worries and everything sad and stressful in my life. I don't want this every match, it seriously depresses me occasionally moving me to the odd tear.

I am probably too sensitive.

Yes but there's not 20 every match is there? There's probably a minutes applause every few matches thats all. A 16 year old lad has just lost his dad.

Now isn't the time for debates on whether it annoys you,upsets you,should happen once a year etc it's about making it happen for the lad. A lad who at 16 is having to face the death of his father,a job hard enough as a grown man never mind a 16 year old.

Either back it or stay silent.

Bloody hell, you watch Wednesday at home to escape stress? I've gone grey this season alone!

But it's still a shitty comment to make straight after the lad posted it.

Sorry you're right, my timing was insensitive.

Just don't blame me if you sit in the row ahead and get a wet head from a blubbering 18 stone bloke.

if it makes a young boy, who's just had one of the worst things happen to him that will happen in all of his lifetime, feel even a tiny bit better then I for one do not mind clapping for a minute

Edited by Bleeder

I lost my dad when i was a very young kid and tbh it took my world away I'm 63 now and it still feels at times as though it was yesterday ,,

The lad must be going through hell at the present time , and having the courage to ask a small favour for us to remember his dad speaks volumes about the boy to me , the least we can do is make sure the lads request is honoured by the fans , we say we are are a family so lets join together   and do the right thing  for him his dad and his family, sadly I won't be there but it won't stop me honouring the lad's dad in my own way ,

Guest Strap

I never see the point with these sort of things. Most people didn't know him, and I don't see the point in clapping because someone who supports the same team as me has died. What about the people who died in the recent plane crash? Lots of people have gone through awful times, and lots of people have lost loved ones, but I always thought mourning was a private think rather than who can get the most claps.

I'd rather give my condolences to a sixteen year old, by talking to him face to face, rather than clapping. 

Sad news and my thoughts go to his family and friends.

For those doubting the value of such an act, I offer up the words of that famous olde Wednesdayite John Donne (1572-1631) and hope you have some huge manatee in there somewhere.

"No man is an island,

Entire of itself,

Every man is a piece of the continent,

A part of the main.

If a clod be washed away by the sea,

Europe is the less.

As well as if a promontory were.

As well as if a manor of thy friend's

Or of thine own were:

Any man's death diminishes me,

Because I am involved in mankind,

And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls;

It tolls for thee."

I'm glad others have similar views to me on this, I thought i was alone and being insensitive. It's one of my real pet hates these days

Genuinely sorry for the lad, I too last my dad at a young age so know exactly how he feels, but we can't do an applause for every fan that dies to which most people will have absolutely no connection.

Sorry if it's harsh, it's not meant to offend.

RIP

I'm glad others have similar views to me on this, I thought i was alone and being insensitive. It's one of my real pet hates these days

Genuinely sorry for the lad, I too last my dad at a young age so know exactly how he feels, but we can't do an applause for every fan that dies to which most people will have absolutely no connection.

RIP

Agreed.

RIP

We all have a connection. We support the same football club.

You either join in with the applause or you don't.

And we never have done a minute's applause for every fan that dies, so not sure what your argument is about.

Genuine question: are you asked to do it for every fan that dies? I was 14 when my dad passed away. I still feel compassion and would be happy to clap another if asked to. Especially if it might just make a little difference to those feeling the loss.

Edit - that wasn't aimed at you markowl (hope that was obvious as we appear to be beating the same drum).

Edited by themaskedowl

I lost my dad when I was 17 and he was only 42, so I do have some insight as to how the lad feels...and my heart goes out to him and his family. I have have my dad and his dad to thank for the "blue and white gene", and give them a thought on our best days (promotions/93 etc.)....you'll always have that lad, not much I grant you, but it will give you a glow in years to come.

Personally, I have no problem with a minutes' applause at 48 today but feel as many do, that the club should take a leaf out of Burnleys' book and mark Owls passings at the begining or end of the season.

RIP and sincerest condolances to family and friends.