Gone far too young

RIP to the lost owl and condolences to his family

The request for applause is genuine and heartfelt, whenever this happens I can't help but feel that everybody and anybody clapping isn't clapping just for the passing of one person.

The thoughts and prayers also extend inadvertently to anyone close to us who we still miss and love.

I fully appreciate that it could come across as insensitive but we can't do it for everyone there would literally be 20 every match.

I know this will sound harsh but I go to the football to get away from everything poo in my life. For 90 minutes I forget about all my work and family worries and everything sad and stressful in my life. I don't want this every match, it seriously depresses me occasionally moving me to the odd tear.

I am probably too sensitive.

I fully agree with you. It's not insensitive, it's just life unfortunately. My mum was a wednesdayite who passed away very young. but these things happen alot and we couldn't do it for everyone.

Very very sad - my deepest condolences to the family.

However, 1,000 Wednesday fans die every year, some of them far younger. There seems to be these things nearly every match.

We should have a minutes applause before the last match of the season to remember all those that have passed and leave it at that.

This. Sorry for the loss but its getting a bit too much now. I ho to the match to enjoy myself not mourn people I don't know. Sorry.

This. Sorry for the loss but its getting a bit too much now. I ho to the match to enjoy myself not mourn people I don't know. Sorry.

Getting a bit too much? What kind of life you must lead for this kind of thing to be getting on top of you?

It's literally one ninetieth of the match. There's some selfish folk around if they'd rather not give a bereaved family member a small amount of comfort for one solitary minute at a football match.

Getting a bit too much? What kind of life you must lead for this kind of thing to be getting on top of you?

It's literally one ninetieth of the match. There's some selfish folk around if they'd rather not give a bereaved family member a small amount of comfort for one solitary minute at a football match.

I totally agree. Quite frankly I'm stunned by some answers on here. How difficult is it to applaud the passing of a fellow fan ? It's just showing compassion and support to one of our family. It doesn't happen every week. If it offends you so much, don't join in

i joined in, then my 9 year old, who has not long found out what death is about, (hes not happy about it!)

asked me what we was all clapping for!!  i knew it would upset him so i just said errr i dunno - so he replies 

'what you clapping for then!'

... felt a reyt idiot. but its for these reasons id prefer us not to do it on a weekly basis. i take the lad to have fun, not get all morbid.

when the new scoreboard comes there are gonna be loads of requests with pictures too...hmmm.

do any funeral directors advertise round the ground? cant say ive noticed, but the Owls will be able to charge loads to get an advert under/next to the scoreboard if they carry on with the tributes.

that post probably looks a bit crass in hindsight... i forgot momentarily what thread i was in and went into general conversation about death, which happens to us all. and i do actually think if i was a funeral director it would make good business sense.

but there is a time and a place. sorry young un, no diss intended...

the Huddersfield fans all clapped too i noticed..

it showed there was actually a crowd at the game cos previous to that point, it was like a pre season friendly for noise!

Edited by GY-owl.4