Sensible and effective recruitment - who?

OK, here's one I got from a Baggies fan, we've approached West Brom about signing Joleon Lescott as a replacement for Glen Loovens. Can't see it, his wages must be far beyond us and he's playing every week. Maybe Liam can shed some light on this one

does liam work at wba or is a fan

Guest TommyTank

Not seen scram post for a while, but I'd be interested to see if he thinks Ikechi Anya is a realistic target and how much he'd cost

Have I missed something?

Is Scram an agent or the Watford Chairman?

Genuine, why Scram?

Guest TommyTank

What about cody mcdonald from gillingham 12 goals so farthis year and scored about 100+ in his career but at 28yo might be a big gamble but wouldnt cost much

Id like to think we will be setting our sights slightly higher than a League 2 journeyman.

What about cody mcdonald from gillingham 12 goals so farthis year and scored about 100+ in his career but at 28yo might be a big gamble but wouldnt cost much

Would probably be the sorta shrewd(ish) signing we'd make 12 months ago. 

Now methinks we can look to get someone of similar ability with maybe 6 fewer years through his legs which would be a better move

Edit: I know his name gets mentioned a lot, but Ben Marshall really would be a GREAT signing. Will still only be 24 at the end of the season, is proven at this level and probably would be within our wage structure to allow for it. Two years left on the contract would probably be the possible stumbling block, but never say never

Edited by StudentOwl

The following are all available on free in summer from Premiership teams:

Richard Wright,

Hector Bellerin

Luke Garbutt

Micah Richards

Richard Dunne

Joey Barton

Anthony Knockeart

Tom Cleverley

John Guidetti

James Wilson

James Milner

Just a sample of some players who are available.

Barton and Hutchinson in the same team. Could we win with nine players on the pitch? lol

Would probably be the sorta shrewd(ish) signing we'd make 12 months ago.

Now methinks we can look to get someone of similar ability with maybe 6 fewer years through his legs which would be a better move

Yea thats what i was thinking saw he scored twice tonight shame hes 28 thought hed be about 23

I'm not so sure about Gray saying we are one 20 goal a season striker away from being a team that can gain promotion. Think we need to improve a fair bit more that that.

Think gray doesn't want to upset a lot of the current players who by most accounts have done well this season by saying yeah there all crap, we need a whole new team. Then the players might not want to play for him and he'll end up out of a job by the summer. Still think big stu knows what he's doing and where we need to improve

I'd like to see us go for young prem players that have been out on loan at championship clubs. Basically the ones that don't have a future or it's unlikely that they do at their parent clubs. Vermijl is an example that we have already taken on. The top teams have dozens of players out on loan each season and the majority end up being picked up by football league clubs. There will be plenty in their early 20's who will need to leave to play first team football. Even the ones that are rated highly are extremely highly are unlikely to ever break into first team.

Another important factor is that they will all have resale value.

Be great to show some ambition and aim for these types of player. They never tend to go for large fees either. Some on the list are unlikely but not impossible. I also understand that some players potentially could cost a very large transfer fee, but on the whole I hope we can compete for the lower valued players. Season long loans could also be an option to add that extra bit of quality. Obviously some won't be available but would be interesting to make enquiries.

Examples are:

Patrick Bamford

Kenneth Omeruo

Nathaniel Chalobah

Josh McEachran

Gael Kakuta

Jesse Lingard

Nick Powell

Will Keane

Decry Boyata

John Guidetti

Devante Cole

Chuba Akpom

Sebastian Coates

Alex Pritchard

Tom Carroll

Shane Ferguson

Haris Vuckic

Barry Bannan

Tom Ince

Connor Wickham ðŸ˜

Gary Gardner

Matt Phillips

Junior Hoilett

Anthony Knockaert

Chris Wood

Liam Moore

It says in the local press this morning, that the chairman might consider appointing a director of football. This, if it's going to be done, perhaps should be done in time for the summer recruitment

might consider so that means he might not .......sounds a good article guru .

I'm not so sure about Gray saying we are one 20 goal a season striker away from being a team that can gain promotion. Think we need to improve a fair bit more that that.

we've only been hammered twice this season. Try dotting 20 goals in to our results. It would turn draws in to wins and narrow defeats in to draws. Can completely see where gray is coming from. We'd have loads more points this season if we had a reliable goal scorer. By the way it doesn't necessarily guarantee achieving promotion, just competing.

we've only been hammered twice this season. Try dotting 20 goals in to our results. It would turn draws in to wins and narrow defeats in to draws. Can completely see where gray is coming from. We'd have loads more points this season if we had a reliable goal scorer. By the way it doesn't necessarily guarantee achieving promotion, just competing.

I agree but a 20 goal a season striker has to in most cases have chances created for him which imo our current midfield especially the wingers aren't capable of doing, I would add 2 wingers to the 20 goal a season striker and then we could be serious contenders. Oh and McGugan on a permanent deal also.

It's the midfield & forward department that needs improving as we all know, one or two central midfielders, 2 wingers & 2 forwards would make us a force if the quality was right. A left back would be a bonus too.

McGugan has to be priority, making him a permanent signing would be great.

Then we need to address the lack of pace out wide & up top. I'd like to see a winger like Matt Phillips brought in. Next a pacy forward for me Lewis Grabban or Callum Wilson for me, better still Dwight Gayle if he was to become available.

For the other winger I'd like a Ben Marshall type, someone with a good end product, Jack Grealish if he was available on loan would be ideal. Chris Wood would be my target to partner the pacy forward with May & Nuhiu as back up.

Whilst we are well covered for defensive midfielders with Hutch, Semedo & Lee, there is little creativity without McGugan so another good midfielder to provide competition & allow us to change system etc would be useful. Harry Arter being on a free would be my choice. Howson of Norwich & Tom Cairney of Blackburn have always impressed me.

I think with these types of additions we could really be a force, we have all the basics, we are well organised & very hard working, we need to keep that philosophy but add the quality to make us dangerous in the final third & boost our goals for column.

Edited by mark.flem

It says in the local press this morning, that the chairman might consider appointing a director of football. This, if it's going to be done, perhaps should be done in time for the summer recruitment

Thought you were going to say it should be Scram lol