Sensible and effective recruitment - who?

even if we increase our wage budget significantly we should be able to compete for the better players available on frees/to talk to other clubs.

Mcgugan is a big priority first & foremost but he'll more than likely cost a fee.

we should be able to put a competitive team together for relatively small initial outlay.

MIDFIELD

McGugan is the obvious choice in central midfield. Would be a relatively cheap option in terms of transfer fee, knows the club already and would be very keen to get settled at a club that appreciates him.

If experience and know how is required, then Dean Marney at Burnley is another freebie. Played a huge part in Burnley's promotion run, and is a hugely underrated player at Turf Moor.

WIDE MEN

I know he hasn't played a great deal, but again would perhaps command a relatively modest fee. Junior Stanislas. Looks like he'll be involved with two successive promotions. Strong lad, direct, with quality.

James McLean isn't out of contract, but wont stay at Wigan. Possible Premier League interest though? There was with McManaman.

Ben Pringle is out of contract at the end of the season. He would be a very shrewd signing. Fits in with Gray's work ethic, capable of playing out wide, and in central midfield. At a good age as well.

Stephen Quinn is another out of contract player. Very similar player to Pringle, but with experience at a higher level, and with a promotion out of the Championship under his belt.

Sammy Ameobi is currently trying to earn himself a new deal at Newcastle. If that doesn't materialise, he's another profile that fits into Grays remit. Young, good resale value, versatile.

STRIKERS

Less obvious. Seems there's a real lack of strikers available on free transfers. The main freebie is Darren Bent. It would seem that if Derby want him, he'll go there, but if not, you'd like to think, with our backing, we could be in for him.

Honestly wouldn't be averse to testing the water out with Man Utd re. Keane. He's going to be a real fine player. If we can get him here for a decent sum, then he's a player that could develop and improve along with the club itself.

Trying to get a young, highly rated striker on loan could be a shrewd move. Chupa Akpom from Arsenal maybe. Or even a striker out of favour...Dwight Gayle seems to be getting less game time at Palace, maybe come the summer, he could be available. Would have to be a loan deal, with him commanding £8m a year or two ago.

Pringles and Quinn?? Honestly, what a pair of cuntsticks!

As much as I do like Will Keane I think we need to finally bring in that proven striker , that for me is still a top priority

Kenwyne Jones is always going to be a popular choice and I dare say he would love to come back, there's Darren Bent who could be available but I'd suspect Derby will take him permanently

we need an impact signing , someone to really put bums on seats at Hillsborough

To put a name out there who hasn't had much football this year at West Ham ... Kevin Nolan but wether we could attract a player like that im not sure

Matt Jarvis , Charlie Adam two more who have had little game time

Wickham keeps getting mentioned - would cost a fortune and isn't going to happen. The wage ceiling will rise a bit but not by much and I don't think DC will want to break it first up. I think an effort will be made to bring McGugan in plus a winger and perhaps another striker ..

Some Peoples expectations are getting way out of hand - there are not going to be major changes!

Edited by Owlsofrustration

Wickham keeps getting mentioned - would cost a fortune and isn't going to happen. The wage ceiling will rise a bit but not by much and I don't think DC will want to break it first up. I think an effort will be made to bring McGugan in plus a winger and perhaps another striker ..

Some Peoples expectations are getting way out of hand - there are not going to be major changes!

Yes I think the deadline day purchases were an indication of how our transfer policy will pan out. I think we'll see similar acquisitions in the summer along with some decent 'Bosmans' who'll we now stand a chance of capturing as you'd expect our wages budget to have increased significantly. Doubt we'll be paying vast transfer fees but the summer should still be an exiting time for us.

While I agree some suggestions on this thread are a bit over the top to say the least I think your wrong to think there won't be major changes , DC stated yesterday every improvement neccesary to take the club back to the premier league will be made ! And major changes WILL be required for that to happen

When the chairman makes statements like that the fans expectations are bound to rise

There's a difference between raising expectations and downright borderline stupidity

Connor Wickham joined Sunderland for over £8 million and according to the internet was on £25,000 per week wages in 2012... that's BEFORE he signed his new deal not 5 months ago which is rumoured to be around £40,000 p/w. 

Even if that's false and he's on 3/4 of that, he's way way out of our price range.

Best we can hope for is another 6 month loan where we have to foot half of his wage bill- and to be honest I'd rather us spend £15k of that on a permanent signings' wages and the other £5k on a backup player or promising youngster of our own. 

Is Massimo Luongo from Swindon (if they don't get promoted) a stupid suggestion?

Good young midfielder who likes to get forward- only stumbling block might be trying to agree a sensible price

There's a difference between raising expectations and downright borderline stupidity

Connor Wickham joined Sunderland for over £8 million and according to the internet was on £25,000 per week wages in 2012... that's BEFORE he signed his new deal not 5 months ago which is rumoured to be around £40,000 p/w. 

Even if that's false and he's on 3/4 of that, he's way way out of our price range.

Best we can hope for is another 6 month loan where we have to foot half of his wage bill- and to be honest I'd rather us spend £15k of that on a permanent signings' wages and the other £5k on a backup player or promising youngster of our own. 

Is Massimo Luongo from Swindon (if they don't get promoted) a stupid suggestion?

Good young midfielder who likes to get forward- only stumbling block might be trying to agree a sensible price

Correct there is a very big difference , Wickham is miles off the radar , James Milner I was trying to pretend i hadn't read it but

Again miles off the radar and quite frankly embarrassing to read

Luongo will be in demand this summer for sure , good player from what I've seen

Reckon we'll get quite a few foreign signings personally.

English market is a rip off.

I'd agree. Wouldn't mind us trying to get the two young lads from Stuea Bucharest like, Incurred (winger or cm) and Stanciu (midfielder). Both have potential but probably unlikely to be in our price range range.

OK, here's one I got from a Baggies fan, we've approached West Brom about signing Joleon Lescott as a replacement for Glen Loovens. Can't see it, his wages must be far beyond us and he's playing every week. Maybe Liam can shed some light on this one

Not seen scram post for a while, but I'd be interested to see if he thinks Ikechi Anya is a realistic target and how much he'd cost

like he´d know how much he´d cost ......

Following on from the talk of the Steaua Bucharest youngsters, it'd be interesting to see if Sergiu Bus could recommend anyone (either promising youngster or well established) from either Romania or Bulgaria we could get on the cheap

jeez .......

Makes me cringe reading this, some of the suggestions once again are laughable.

its unbelievable mate .....