On this day in 1930 - Imagine the walk home?

Wednesday, League Champions , League leaders , top scorers and with the best defensive record (how good does that sound) in Division 1 beat Birmingham 9-1 in front of 21,226 at Hillsborough.

Thats us !   --->  Champspower_zps57e6b3f5.jpg

swfc193013-12_zps4bff3a30.jpg

Not only that but "Wednesday's wonder forwards" -  Mark Hooper 3, Jack Ball 2 Jimmy Seed 2, Harry Burgess Ellis Rimmer scored those nine past the current England keeper Harry Hibbs. Imagine what would happen to Joe Hart?

Hibbs_zps01d098d8.jpg

Must have been a decent walk home up Herries Road after that ?

Edited by dunsbyowl

A lot of people were out of work. No social Security in those days. Loads of people couldn't buy enough food to feed their kids. Kids went to school barefoot, they couldn't afford boots which cost "a bob".

21000 was a lot in the circumstances.

Hard times according to my parents. My dads dad was gassed in WW1 and hardly worked after, Mums dad was a forge master at Doncasters and was well off. He would have been there, never missed a match

Shocking attendance. Was football simply not as popular back then?

I suggest you get your history books out we were struggling in a depression ,Mass unemployment times were really hard ,My grandad joined the Army in 1934 war broke out he was already a sergeant .Hard times makes you realize how lucky we are.We can afford 2 home games in a week if needed .On top of that our away support is Brilliant but what cost  gary megson i never tell wife.

In all seriousness with the attendance figures, I think people generally were more fickle with games they attended.

Some games could draw in about 40-50k some much lower than that game Dunsby has posted. I assume it's cos people couldn't afford season tickets back then. No 0% credit cards or zebra finance.