The Gray Effect: Making Players Better

One of the worst things about Dave Jones, was the fact that whatever the problem - a striker not scoring, a midfielder having a bad game (even if it was the manager's fault for leaving him over-run), a defender getting injured - his solution was always to just go out and buy another player.  And preferably one who had played for him before.

Gray has a totally different attitude and wants to work with players and make them better.

Even better, he doesn't just judge players by their pay packet or reputation but has a proper football brain, see their attributes and works out how to get the best out of them.  If you look at several players in the team, Gray has identified where their stregths lay and even changed the position to get the best out of these:

• Huthchinson had always been a right back or centre half until we signed him, SG saw that he wasn't the tallest but was a tenacious tackler with bags of energy so put him as the ball winner in centre mid, and look what a revelation he's been
  • Lee was signed as right back and played wide mid by Jones, but SG saw how good he was on the ball so moved him into centre mid, saving us a fortune if we'd signed someone else to pay that position
  • Maguire had always played front, but SG decided his good technical ability was better utilised out wide creating chances for others, and where his lack of physicality wouldn't be so much of a problem
  • Palmer is not an out-and-out proper full back under SG's tutelage (apparently he spent week individually teaching him how to head the ball over the summer)

What a difference it makes to have a manager who is a proper coach, works with the players everyday and therefore understands them inside out, rather than one who just wants to rock up to the training ground on Friday to pick the team and spends the rest of the week with netballers.

One of the worst things about Dave Jones, was the fact that whatever the problem - a striker not scoring, a midfielder having a bad game (even if it was the manager's fault for leaving him over-run), a defender getting injured - his solution was always to just go out and buy another player.  And preferably one who had played for him before.

Gray has a totally different attitude and wants to work with players and make them better.

Even better, he doesn't just judge players by their pay packet or reputation but has a proper football brain, see their attributes and works out how to get the best out of them.  If you look at several players in the team, Gray has identified where their stregths lay and even changed the position to get the best out of these:

• Huthchinson had always been a right back or centre half until we signed him, SG saw that he wasn't the tallest but was a tenacious tackler with bags of energy so put him as the ball winner in centre mid, and look what a revelation he's been
  • Lee was signed as right back and played wide mid by Jones, but SG saw how good he was on the ball so moved him into centre mid, saving us a fortune if we'd signed someone else to pay that position
  • Maguire had always played front, but SG decided his good technical ability was better utilised out wide creating chances for others, and where his lack of physicality wouldn't be so much of a problem
  • Palmer is not an out-and-out proper full back under SG's tutelage (apparently he spent week individually teaching him how to head the ball over the summer)

What a difference it makes to have a manager who is a proper coach, works with the players everyday and therefore understands them inside out, rather than one who just wants to rock up to the training ground on Friday to pick the team and spends the rest of the week with netballers.

I was going to start a thread very similar about SG  seemingly carrying on regardless of misfortune and making a fist out of it but you have done it far better than I could - suffice to say I agree

Guest Sheff Owl

Every player interviewed after Dave Jones left has praised Stuart Gray.

Saying that he has made everyone feel important, brought everyone together and training is very good.

Semedo even said Gray is the best coach he has worked with.

Stuart Gray has worked wonders considering what's been going off this summer, we need to try and back him with more additions.

Whatever he is doing he is getting extra from all the players and that goes a long way.

Good post

Guest subnotusedmayrleb

One of the worst things about Dave Jones, was the fact that whatever the problem - a striker not scoring, a midfielder having a bad game (even if it was the manager's fault for leaving him over-run), a defender getting injured - his solution was always to just go out and buy another player. And preferably one who had played for him before.

Even better, he doesn't just judge players by their pay packet or reputation but has a proper football brain, see their attributes and works out how to get the best out of them. If you look at several players in the team, Gray has identified where their stregths lay and even changed the position to get the best out of these:

A well put post. Gray certainly makes a lot from a little. He has done an awful lot better than a vast number of his predecessors considering his meagre means, and playing a brand of football with a high number of shots towards the opponents goal and a tightening defence at the other end.

It's too easy to get carried away with the progress and think of it as more than it is, but I do feel we have a more solid foundation to build on than we have for many a year...and Gray is very important to this continued improvement.

for me  the telling thing is whichever  A.N.Other fantasy manager had jetted in when DJ was removed, and they had achieved what SG has so far, they would have been lauded the managerial messiah.  

We all know it can go pear shaped for him and us yet -but I said at the time SG was MM's wet dream: cheap good and in situ  I think I was right for once

I don't know if he still does this (because I always rock up at S6 at 2.50 pm and I didn't go to Brighton) but I loved last season how he was out with the players doing the drills and runs an hour before kick off. He's a proper football man and a totally honest and fair man and this is showing in how the players have responded to him. The videos from Slovenia also illustrate what great spirit there is in the camp and that, in addition to the very good starting 11, will hopefully take us a long, long way this season. I genuinely think we are two or three players off doing a Burnley (sadly those players are in the final third which cost the earth, so it's unlikely). In Stuart I trust.

Edited by Hirstys Salopettes

Guest The Horse

I don't know if he still does this (because I always rock up at S6 at 2.50 pm and I didn't go to Brighton) but I loved last season how he was out with the players doing the drills and runs an hour before kick off. 

I was going to say the same. It's great to see.

Was at it again yesterday.

Can you imagine DJ doing that?

Perhaps it is the right time to have a head coach, as opposed to a manager in the traditional sense. 

Maybe modern players prefer people who are on the training pitch most of the time, as opposed to someone who's there, allegedly, two days a week and then picks the team.