Pubs near the Sheffield Wednesday ground that have shut

15 hours ago, g-owls said:

Small world - I’m in Hucknall.

I’m sometimes having to collect from Alert Electrical, your next door neighbours of course!

I watch County a bit, am I right in saying that your open on matchdays for a pint? 

I'm in bestwood, so just down the road

YOU'RE one of their customers that's always stealing our parking spaces? Pop in next time you're around and you can have a couple of freebies to take away. But yep open before and after every County/Forest game. I'm only usually serving for midweek ones as I follow us home and away but you might spot a couple of slightly covert Wednesday-related references in the taproom!

• Like 2
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

Are they alcohol?

Too much so if you're driving. Vault city do more sessionable stuff in supermarkets nowadays if you're intrigued, usually included in the 4 for the price of 3 type deals

22 hours ago, Salli said:

Haven't been for a while but they often had VC guests on keg too, so those yearning for a smoothie fruit hit are more than accomodated.

va1.webp

v2.webp

I wonder if anyone has ever uttered the phrase "two pints of white chocolate raspberry cheesecake, and a bag of pork scratchings please love..."?

lol

• Haha 7

7 minutes ago, Salli said:

Too much so if you're driving. Vault city do more sessionable stuff in supermarkets nowadays if you're intrigued, usually included in the 4 for the price of 3 type deals

Just had a look at their website. Some weird and wacky beer going on there. Not cheap though.

I'll keep my eyes peeled in the supermarket and give it a whirl.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kilnhurstowl said:

Change in drinking habits I suppose. 

No longer do people want to sit around drinking horrible Carling and fosters, they would rather be drinking craft ales in pubs with trendy décor. 

Pubs that don't move with the times are the ones that shut down. 

That's why micro brewery's and places like these are thriving at the moment and the " traditional pub" are dying out. ( Except In the countryside where traditional seems to be doing ok) but that's not football related. 

Makes sense and agree to a point, but probably slightly more to it. Micropubs often only open Thurs-Sun or similar, only have a couple members of staff, and perhaps a more managable rent.

The brewery opposite us has shut because it's owners want to convert it into a huge kitchen and expand the outdoor 'sports zone' of the adjoining pub, which is owned by the same parent company. They generally make more money selling Moretti (brewed by Heineken , in Manchester, not on some farm in the Alps) or Madri (Coors, Yorkshire), at least on football days anyway. It does look like we are going to take over brewing their house session and NFFC beer (advertised and sold as being two different beers, but actually the exact same product in different packaging, as per our Thornbridge SWFC one) so that's one positive to cling to

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Drewswfc said:

Just had a look at their website. Some weird and wacky beer going on there. Not cheap though.

Yeah. Fruit is expensive and they pack an absolute tonne into their beers.

High ABV also means more malt (price of which has gone up 25% in 18 months) and higher beer duty (in particular anything 8.5% or above)

As someone who lives on their own, I like the idea of the old style pub where you can just go in and you know people who are there already. Now, you have to painstakingly organise any meet up and there is very little spontaneity. 

But it is sad to see so many pubs going. There was a point in Ecclesfield when there was about eight pubs. Now there's one, and tbh I wonder about it's future because even though I live very near, I've only been once and it felt like the sort of pub where I was sitting in someone's seat and that I'd be asked to move if that person came. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Drewswfc said:

try Sheffield’s own lost industry brewery too for good local and unusual brews 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

It is, Drew.

We're in the last 100 years of it.

In the future, they'll look back and be amazed that we used to drink solvent.

Think that's giving humans too much credit.

We've been taking mind altering poisons since the dawn of time.

Plus a glass of wine once or twice a week doesn't do you any harm

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SnowyOwl13 said:

As someone who lives on their own, I like the idea of the old style pub where you can just go in and you know people who are there already. Now, you have to painstakingly organise any meet up and there is very little spontaneity. 

But it is sad to see so many pubs going. There was a point in Ecclesfield when there was about eight pubs. Now there's one, and tbh I wonder about it's future because even though I live very near, I've only been once and it felt like the sort of pub where I was sitting in someone's seat and that I'd be asked to move if that person came. 

nail on the head for me. 

I used to get pals knock on me door on a Friday or Saturday to see if I was coming to the pub. 

They would literally just knock on the door on their way, no phone call or anything like that. I'd then shout up to the mrs I was going, get me coat and then that's it, sink 10 pints

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TheOwlsofDodworth said:

It is, Drew.

We're in the last 100 years of it.

In the future, they'll look back and be amazed that we used to drink solvent.

Better make the most of it then🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺🍺

Thank god I'll not be here to see that.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Salli said:

Makes sense and agree to a point, but probably slightly more to it. Micropubs often only open Thurs-Sun or similar, only have a couple members of staff, and perhaps a more managable rent.

The brewery opposite us has shut because it's owners want to convert it into a huge kitchen and expand the outdoor 'sports zone' of the adjoining pub, which is owned by the same parent company. They generally make more money selling Moretti (brewed by Heineken , in Manchester, not on some farm in the Alps) or Madri (Coors, Yorkshire), at least on football days anyway. It does look like we are going to take over brewing their house session and NFFC beer (advertised and sold as being two different beers, but actually the exact same product in different packaging,  as per our Thornbridge SWFC one)

so that's one positive to cling to

What is the alternative name of the Thornbridge "Wednesday" IPA.

5 hours ago, SnowyOwl13 said:

Try the Commercial at Chapeltown, great pub independently owned by the same people for 30odd years and that really is the key imo.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, @owlstalk said:

IMG_5257.jpeg

I never went in the Magnet but it had a reputation.

Think Tom Catlin, Wednesday player from the 1930s (Including playing in the 1935 FA Cup Final) was Landlord of a few pubs in Sheffield including the Magnet.

Edited by matthefish2002
  • Like 1