My email conversation with John Mann MP

Guest over the line

Mann is an egotsitical loud mouth who for some strange reason sits on the House of Commons Treasury Select Committee, probably as the resident hard man. His claim to fame is bashing bankers and not fraudulently claiming expenses.

There was an article in the paper recently, which told the story that he had driven his 15 year old Citroen Picasso old banger from London to Worksop with it's wheel nuts missing, only to discover that fact on arrival in Worksop. Seems he has friends in high places?

BTW, wonder how much per mile he claims from the taxpayer for running an old banger up and down the M1?

Actually not a bad claim to fame is it plonker

Mann Reports Back From Football Summit

John Mann MP was one of 30 people invited to the Prime Ministers Football Summit in 10 Downing Street. Along with managers and players, the meeting brought in the top figures from the Football Association, including Sir Trevor Brooking along with former stars such as John Barnes and Graham Le Saux. The country's top referee, Howard Webb from Sheffield also participated.

John was one of five people asked to lead off the discussion by the Prime Minister and he challenged the FA and football authorities to provide consistency in handling racism and discrimination. John also won a commitment from the Prime Minister to back England players if they take action to counter racist abuse whilst on England duty.

Others attending included former players such as Paul Elliott and Gareth Crooks who have worked with John when he chaired an FA task force recently.

Mann commented “it is necessary for our national game to be in the forefront of tackling racism and discrimination and I noted how strong the resolve of the many black players present was to no longer tolerate any discrimination. Football must be a sport where everyone can play without hassle and where supporters feel safe and confident in cheering their team on whether in a local park or at Wembley”.

Owlstalk Shop

Through out all of this I am yet to see evidence of Sheffield Wednesday fans "rioting" but have seen plenty of evidence of Leeds fans doing just that.

Can Mr Mann back up his claim because he seems to be the only person who saw this "riot" on the North Stand.

I was sat over on the South and all I saw was Leeds fans trying to get into the North and Missiles being thrown from the Leeds end into the Wednesday end. From where I sit you can always see if it's kicking off in the North and on Friday I saw no evidence of this.

Posted · Hidden by Dot, October 22, 2012 - No reason given
Hidden by Dot, October 22, 2012 - No reason given

You'd think the right honourable member of parliament for Bassetlaw would do the right honourable thing and post the report up hear for us to read instead of sitting in silence reading our opinions. Seems fair.

Guest Sailmaker

I have enjoyed reading Owlstalk for several years but have not felt compelled to comment until now after reading the quoted comments and emails from John Mann MP.

If you visit the BBC website from anywhere in the world (I am in Canada) you read the following quote from John Mann, MP a self-proclaimed man of the people, who is not scared to say it how it is:

“That stand where the Sheffield Wednesday fans were rioting should also be shut for a match.”

A neutral reader is unconsciously being asked to compare the actions of a lone Leeds “thug” against the actions of perhaps several thousand rioting Sheffield Wednesday fans. And if there is any doubt to the conclusion one should draw, he has even included a suitable punishment. The neutral reader may also come to the conclusion that it could well have been the rioting Sheffield Wednesday fans that provoked the reaction from the lone Leeds “thug.”

When Shandypants asked a number of questions regarding when this “riot” took place and what constitutes a "riot" (because one man’s aggressive finger pointing is another man’s rioting) he received a couple more interesting replies from John Mann, MP:

1/ “I am also asking the fa for action on Warnock and Kenny for inciting fans.”

From this you may infer that the Sheffield Wednesday fans rioting, who may or may not have provoked the lone Leeds thug's actions, were perhaps themselves provoked into rioting by Warnock and Kenny. However, from what I have read, Warnock and Kenny were only guilty of inciting near-the-knuckle banter with the home support.

2/ “It was a riot with police attacked and missiles etc thrown for 15 minutes.”

So this is what constitutes "the Sheffield Wednesday fans were rioting" to John Mann MP. The question should therefore be whether a significant proportion of the Sheffield Wednesday “fanatics” in the North Stand were attacking the police and throwing missiles etc at or towards the police, or at the visiting supporters for 15 minutes? If so, at least by John Mann's own definition, we have a riot!

Thank you Shandypants for sharing these valuable insights into the mindset of a person with responsibility and authority, who no doubt represents a significant number of Sheffield Wednesday supporters in his Bassetlaw constituency.

In the cold light of day even the shenanigans of the Leeds supporters did not constitute a riot so how Mr Mann can decide that the west side of the North Stand can be a riot is beyond me.

I would still like to know why an away supporter was sat in the home end?

Is there some goading going on here? Get the posters on owlstalk to lose their rag a bit and then hold that up as typical behaviour from fans that were rioting in the north stand?

Anyone got a copy of the match by the way? I watched it on sky and saw no such riot from either stand. Mr Mann seems to think you can see it though. Should be easy to spot.

Mann Reports Back From Football Summit

John Mann MP was one of 30 people invited to the Prime Ministers Football Summit in 10 Downing Street. Along with managers and players, the meeting brought in the top figures from the Football Association, including Sir Trevor Brooking along with former stars such as John Barnes and Graham Le Saux. The country's top referee, Howard Webb from Sheffield also participated.

John was one of five people asked to lead off the discussion by the Prime Minister and he challenged the FA and football authorities to provide consistency in handling racism and discrimination. John also won a commitment from the Prime Minister to back England players if they take action to counter racist abuse whilst on England duty.

Others attending included former players such as Paul Elliott and Gareth Crooks who have worked with John when he chaired an FA task force recently.

Mann commented “it is necessary for our national game to be in the forefront of tackling racism and discrimination and I noted how strong the resolve of the many black players present was to no longer tolerate any discrimination. Football must be a sport where everyone can play without hassle and where supporters feel safe and confident in cheering their team on whether in a local park or at Wembley”.

When is this from Neil?

I'd like to ask Mr Mann why was he on the home end, I believe he was in the south stand? There were enough seats at the wings of the lower West Stand to accommodate Mr Mann the Leeds fan.

Oh there's a surprise with his feet in the flippingtrough no doubt. He knows shytes Mcgregor, the chants in North could not be heard a far as gangway 'J'.

Mann in another 'Look Norther' trying to divert the blame.

Edited by nevthelodgemoorowl

Oh there's a surprise with his feet in the flippingtrough no doubt. He knows shytes Mcgregor, the chants in North could not be heard a far as gangway 'J'.

Mann in another 'Look Norther' trying to divert the blame.

the pity is that whilst ever he/they are in denial, their behaviour continues

it would seem that criminal damage and people getting hurt isn't important

If Mr Mann would like to hear another neutral view of what went on on Friday, my mate, a Spurs fan was in the South with me and would be happy to provide one ...

...though Mr Mann may not like what that neutral view is.

Get him to put it on here and email him too. We might as well discuss it properly.

Have we found out if mr Mann was there in an official capacity yet? Or if he was in the directors box? If not, which part of the south stand was he in? And can somebody please, for the love of Waddle, find the 15 minutes of rioting that is clear to see on sky.

In fact, what's his email? I'll ask him myself.

Get him to put it on here and email him too. We might as well discuss it properly.

Have we found out if mr Mann was there in an official capacity yet? Or if he was in the directors box? If not, which part of the south stand was he in? And can somebody please, for the love of Waddle, find the 15 minutes of rioting that is clear to see on sky.

In fact, what's his email? I'll ask him myself.

You will not get an answer other then "We must agree to disagree" if you come to a different conclusion.

The man appears deluded, quite simply deluded and incapable of actually debating something. He has his line and that is how it must have happened.

And no, I did not abuse him in my email, no strong language was used at all.

I have however kept my email from him and will be looking at how I can make a complaint about how he conducts himself.

Edited by a_weishaupt

People like Mann are dangerous - like the red top journalists, who up until Leverson was able to use these platforms of influence for their own agenda. Mann is an opposition MP whose ego is inflated as he's been 'asked' by Government to sit on this group, attend that summit - he's believes he is qualified to advise. On face value that’s fine but when he uses this role to spout off within hours to all media outlets and then state he’s sending a report to the FA which may influence a potential investigation into crowd disorder as a supposedly independent observer, this becomes very murky. I don't know his motives, but he is far from impartial and the FA needs to understand this when deliberating over its actions.