My email conversation with John Mann MP

John Mann has kindly given me permission to published on OwlsTalk my email conversation with him about his comments about the events at SWFC V LUFC 19/10/2012. I don't necessarily agree with his comments, interpretations or actions but I do appreciate his honesty. He's not answered all of my questions but he's answered a fair few. It appears that he's had dogs abuse today (Saturday) on email, therefore, it may be good if we all digest his comments here first before commenting.

Conversation below:

ShandyPants:

Hello Mr Mann

You have claimed in the media that during the SWFC v LUFC match on 19/10/2012 at Hillsborough Stadium that rioting took place in the North Stand and stated that the stand should be closed for one game because of this. Can you tell me at what point during the match this rioting took place? I had a clear view from the Kop and saw absolutely no rioting in that stand whatsoever. I did witness gesticulation between Wednesday fans in the west side of the North Stand and the Leeds fans in the West Stand. The nearest thing to rioting that I saw came from some Leeds United supporters when they threw things on the pitch (including bottles and seats), tore down an advertisement hoarding (and dropped it upon a unfortunate and innocent young Leeds supporter who looked like he was injured by this - let's hope he is ok) and entered the pitch (assaulting Chris Kirkland and appearing to further vandalise the ground and Sky equipment as the did so).

I have heard that their were offensive chants from both sets of fans at that side of the ground. If this was the case then this should be condemned. If you stated you saw rioting in the North Stand I cannot state that you didn't but I certainly didn't see such an event.

Do you acknowledge that there was misbehaviour from some of the Leeds United fans at this particular match? If so, can you tell me what punishment should be meted out against LUFC for the behaviour of these misbehaving Leeds fans?

John Mann:

Thank you for your email

Of course i do and my demands for action against leeds are the main item radio leeds today

I am also asking the fa for action on warnock and kenny for inciting fans

I was the first on the media to highlight the vile saville chants

But there were two surges of sheffield fans towards the leppings lane the first after about an hour

Police were attacked ad missiles thrown in both directions

The sheffield abuse was as vile as that from leeds and neither were from just a few rather from any hundreds

This is why wrongly the riot police were in front of the north stand

ShandyPants:

Thank you for your reply.

Could you state (or alude) to what the 'Saville' chants were and who chanted them.

Maybe you have been misquoted or maybe used the wrong terms but, while surging and throwing missiles is ultimately wrong and despicable, it is not rioting. If Sheffield Wednesday fans surged and threw missiles then this should be brought to the attention of the relevant authority. However, rioting results in more than surging and missiles being thrown in my opinion. I believe that rioting is more of a sustained and prolonged event. Some of the Leeds Utd fans behaved very badly but even their behaviour may not interpreted as rioting.

You have not answered my question about the sanction or punishment that you would mete out to Leeds Utd for the actions of some of their fans. You have passed judgement on SWFC, therefore, you should pass judgement on LUFC based upon the same criteria. If you don't pass your judgement on LUFC the, in my opinion, you should retract your statement about closing SWFC's North Stand for one game.

Can I request the you alter and reissue your statement so that it more reflective of the situation? Can you remove your recommendation for the ban and stated what happened rather than use the general term 'rioting'? Can you make reference to the LUFC fans physically aggressive behaviour at the game - not just the chanting?

You say that Kenny incited fans. If you are referring to his 'moon' to the Kop then, in my opinion, this was taken in good humour by the vast majority of Owls fans and part of some 'banter' that was taking place between him and the fans on the Kop. His actions were taken in fun and jest.

John Mann:

The saville chants which i raised at the top of radio leeds news were as vile as the moron on the pitch and dame from a significant minority from leeds

This is certainly a major art of my report to the fa

ShandyPants:

I would appreciate if you could comment on the other points that I put to you in my previous email.

John Mann:

Kenny we disagree, your stewards were receiving abuse themselves from a few hard core as part of this and were in their words scared. In my view kennys actions could have inflamed the crowd

Sanctions i have already made public

However on my letter to the fa i further highlight that it appears not to be a random thug but a know 'risk' fanatic and the ticket distribution failures are a very major issue which if true require sanction on the club

Rioting i disagree in my viewing it was a riot with police attacked and missiles etc thrown for 15 minutes

ShandyPants:

Hi

Please can you clarify some things?

When you say 'hardcore' who were these hardcore fans and which stand were they in? If there are hardcore fans on the Kop then I am amazed. I have had a season ticket on that stand for 20+ years and although it can be quite vociferous, the fans on there aren't violent.

Which club are you referring to when you say 'sanction the club'. If you are referring to LUFC, then there can be many ways that this 'risk' individual could acquire a ticket without actualy purchasing it himself from LUFC. If you are referring to SWFC, then how can SWFC check every fan that enters the ground?

What do you mean by 'sanctions I have already made public'?

John Mann:

I presume you heard what i said on the radio

There certainly were some highly abusive fanatics at the front of the kop but the vast majority in the far end of the north stand. This is obviously not a clever place for them to be

Leeds have to be sanctioned for failure to sell tickets. I have worked with the fa on policing football and the basic safeguards, which supporters do not really see, were not in place ( in essence spotting known thugs on entry to the city or at the turnstiles)

This was worsened by poor stewarding sheff wed are using fans and friends which is no good for these bigger matches i was talking to one this morning a 7 stone 20 year old girl from worksop who was terrified

None of this excuses leeds fans by the way , but the moron should not be able to get on the pitch a d then saunter back into the crowd

In my view leeds supporters will have to have a penalty ban in some way and the club in another , but sheff wed fanatics in the north stand should not go unpunished either

ShandyPants:

Hi

Thank you for replying to all of my emails. I appreciate it.

Would you mind if I share this email conversation with my fellow Wednesdayites on popular fans Web forum OwlsTalk?

I would like to express my fear here that other parties outside SWFC AND LUFC will seize upon the events at the Yorkshire derby to forward the own agenda. Football spectators are an easy target. I am sure that you have been careful about how you have reported the events at the match.

I have not heard your radio interview/statement as I live in Sheffield and I believe you were on Radio Leeds.

John Mann:

Yes though most emails have been pure abuse , one attacking me for not condemning leeds Fans for throwing flares(!)

ShandyPants:

Sorry. I framed my request to share this email rather badly and, therefore, cannot determine whether you are saying 'Yes' I can share or 'Yes' you would mind if I shared. :-) I will reframe my question:

Do you give your permission for me to share this email conversation with my fellow Wednesdayites on the popular fans web forum Owlstalk?

John Mann:

Yes you can share it

I never trust an MP they can make the worst sittuation in the world look good and make anything what has been blamed surrounding them IE Leeds supports and him trying to blame our fans. MP's wonder why people dont voste well its because you talk poo pooe and spin better than a spinning top.

I'd like to ask Mr Mann why was he on the home end, I believe he was in the south stand? There were enough seats at the wings of the lower West Stand to accommodate Mr Mann the Leeds fan.

You can contact him on mannj@parliament.uk. He replied very quickly. I guess he'll respond if your not accusational or abbusive.

Nice one shandy pants . Only skimmed through it but you seem to have nailed some misconceptions that the learned MP had .

not a bit biase that mp is he ,rioting my a--se chucking dummies is what i would call it ,,

anyway good e'mail shandy mate ,

Cheers lads. He's obviously commented to the FA. Lets hope his comments are fair and reflective of the situation. I'm sure he has the best intentions in mind, however, I am not sure that a extra influential voice is useful here.

Guest Briscoe Inferno

How regularly does this MP attend football matches - having supported them for 40 years? He clearly has no idea what happens in a run of the mill fixture let alone a derby.

He comes across as a very naive and histrionic first time spectator.

Doesn't sound as though he has been to a L**ds home match let alone one away because pitch incursions are fairly regular occurences for them.

Was part of the Treasury Select Committee that questioned Bob Diamond, however came across as he does on this - an unexpected attendee who revels in the sound of his own voice.

He needs to have a chat with Clive Betts about what happens every Saturday afternoon in our world.

Your emails were well composed and althought not 100% grammar error free, his was absolutely shi'ite! I'd really worry if he was my MP. Can't even be arsed to turn the spell checker on Lazy 2hat.

Well done mate.

(edit: mine has a typo, but I've had 2 bottles of Rioja so I don't give one)

Edited by Nobsworth

Your emails were well composed and althought not 100% grammar error free, his was absolutely shi'ite! I'd really worry if he was my MP. Can't even be arsed to turn the spell checker on Lazy 2hat.

Well done mate.

(edit: mine has a typo, but I've had 2 bottles of Rioja so I don't give one)

Yes. I did notice a few grammatical errors. I consider myself as one of the grammar policemen on here also. :-) Poor form from me there. lol

Good job mate. It definitely is one in the eye for Colin who only saw fit to condemn one fan. The Sky footage freeze frame alone shows 8 Leeds 'fans' on the pitch and they're not there to sympathize with CK. That's not to mention and I might be being generous here, approx. 200 jerks trying to get to the North Bank, throwing stuff and ripping out seats. Still, it should be in the refs report and SWFC should be seeking to censure Warnock for his total stupidity.

Edited by sten

John Mann is my MP. My first honest impression of him is that he reminds me of mr Noisy. he is such a big mouth, gob poo pooe. Somebody that just wants to be the big voice heard. I have noticed that he has to have an opionion on everything.

John Mann is my MP. My first honest impression of him is that he reminds me of mr Noisy. he is such a big mouth, gob poo pooe. Somebody that just wants to be the big voice heard. I have noticed that he has to have an opionion on everything.

Aren't they all though?

Nice work, shandypants

I think he's ducked most of your questions there mate. He doesn't say what sanctions he proposed on Leeds, he doesn't say who should be sanctioned for the idiot getting a ticket or getting into the ground and he doesn't say who there stewards were being intimidated by. I'm not quite sure who he's suggesting should be employed as stewards either. Is he saying we should employ bouncer style stewards or is there some professional stewards association that we don't know about

Guest PrincessWendy

Shandypants (can't imagine where that comes from)

It's an interesting exchange but you won't get anything but one-sided nonsense from this flagrant apologist. The truth about LUFC is that the disgraceful behaviour of their supporters on Friday is only the latest in a long line of wrongdoing that stretches back over a century. The only reason that they are called "United" is that the preceding club from which they have sprung (Leeds City) had to be wound up over 102 years ago (perhaps someone can tell me why). Since then the entire football following community in the town has been consumed with an inferiority complex that exhibits itself periodically in violence, vile, uncivilised abuse and shocking racism. History shows they have been punished for this kind of thing before when, in the early 1970's they had to play the first few home games of a season away from Elland Road. Guess where at least one of them was played?

The leopard cannot change its spots.

Bless you

HRH Wendy

Edited by PrincessWendy

Guest chuckie4570

Nice one Shadypants...... Once again a member of Her Majesties House of Commons can't give a straight answer... and these f**cking w@nkers run this country!!

John Mann - I say what I want and put my spin on it!!! This bloke is as bad as the scummer who ran on the pitch for failing to acknowledge his 'fans' actions!!!!