Jones' comments

It's not such a bad thing if he is staying calm IMO. We've got to stop thinking we're in League 1 still - we came into this league as theoretically the second-worst ranked team, and despite their relatively poor start, Bolton were 2 divisions above us a few weeks ago.

We know we've signed good players - they will come good I'm time.

What I heard in the interview was his compassion for the players and him taking it a bit easy on them.

Players can be really hard on themselves and fans even harder but it will often only make matters worse.

I genuinely believe that this group of players can be very good indeed once they begin to trust each other and find that bit of confidence.

I hope so, I think we have a good squad in terms of the ability. Just think its a shame the bond between fans and players is breaking.

Hopefully a spawny win or draw will give us a platform and confidence will return. We need to make sure this doesn't become a major slide like under Laws.

I hope so, I think we have a good squad in terms of the ability. Just think its a shame the bond between fans and players is breaking.

Hopefully a spawny win or draw will give us a platform and confidence will return. We need to make sure this doesn't become a major slide like under Laws.

Indeed. We need to get a win any old way. A draw next league game would do though. Just to stop the rot.

I've stopped reading/listening to them, ever since crystal palace, the guy seems to have gone bat shizzle crazy.

I think the refereeing lately has broken him.

I genuinely think he's lost the plot and I don't know how it's happened so quickly. Burton going?

What I heard in the interview was his compassion for the players and him taking it a bit easy on them.

Players can be really hard on themselves and fans even harder but it will often only make matters worse.

I genuinely believe that this group of players can be very good indeed once they begin to trust each other and find that bit of confidence.

I agree with this. I can see a good team in there too. There's been a lot of changes and when they work out each others game they'll do well

Sheffield Wednesday boss Dave Jones: "Our lads feel that every mistake we make at the moment is being punished. - Absolutely every mistake is.....better quality players in the division.

"We had three or four chances to clear both goals, but we didn't and we have been punished. That is the level we are playing at - we can't keep giving the opposition easy chances to score. - This is the issue.....just get rid.....doesn't have to be pretty football in our defensive third and don't get on the players backs when its hammered upfield

"I felt we worked hard but we have to learn not to switch off. It's a tough learning curve." - The players have to take collective responsibility for this and not be thinking about what we do when we get the ball.....harder to play the game without it and we have to work harder

"We have a lot of young players at the club and we can't get our heads down. We have to stay strong, keep plugging away and hopefully we can turn this run around. - Maybe that's the issue.....not enough experience in the squad to pull them together and play keep ball when we've just got back into a game or got ourselves in front. I think we struggle for a natural leader in the side and someone really does have to step up to the mark....don't agree with making Taylor captain as I think it will immediately undermine the dressing room and in fairness to Taylor he's new to the squad and maybe its a burden to carry for him til he has the respect of the rest of the players.

"If fans thought we were going to come into this division and take it by storm they are kidding themselves. It's a building process and we are just at the start of that." - Spot on.....spoilt by success last season and people are just to unrealistic about where we are at the moment, the danger is berating the team so much that we just slide further.....young players having a kicking from the fans and manager week in week out will make us implode.

Yes I think we've missed Terry Burton MASSIVEly and I think questions might start being asked about exactly how the players are being coached. Interesting to note that Paul Wilkinson spent 9 years managing Cardiff's reserve team and was (prior to being made assistant manager) responsible for coaching and recruitment with us.....makes you wonder just who may have been looking at which players to bring in during the summer.

Edited by WatfordOwl

Its a fair point by DJ saying some fans have unrealistic expectations. But it was the club who set the target of promotion in the first place!

Did they? Genuinely not seen where swfc have ever said promotion is the aim this season.

You could say a promotion target is a default objective for any club I guess....

On the official website,

Having a go at us for playing at 100mph at 1-1, stating that taking a quick throw in led to us conceding the 2nd goal.

From what I recall Antonio won a throw from nothing level with the edge of their penalty area, Bolton were caught on the back foot and so he took it quickly to Pecnik who should have given it him back but instead turned the wrong way and got crowded out and lost the ball. It wasn't as if we were caught upfield out of position, Bolton simply cleared the ball and Taylor made a complete balls of clearing the danger which Jones seems to have ignored.

I am a fan of Jones and hope we give him time but he is making some strange decisions and comments at the moment. Seems to be giving more support to his signings who aren't performing than to the players that got us promoted.

From the throw Pecnick dived outrageously instead of fighting for the ball, Bolton won the ball and the move ended in Taylors poor clearance and the goal.

did he say why Kirkland came out for the 2nd half 5 mins before the rest of the team seems strange to me.

i imagine he had no need to listen to the outfield tactics for the second half, and was better served out on the field with the keeping coach...

dj as a professional manager will understand that, and not require him there, as opposed to the line of thinking that if you stick someone in goal with a big gob, he'll shout and tell everybody their jobs and everything will suddenly go right...

The fans are taking their cue from the Chairman. Do not forget 3 losses (followed by a great win) when we were 3rd in the table, got our last manager the sack.

In a different league with a different points per game target.

But let's forget that, don't be realistic.

Just carry on heaping the pressure on.