Emerson Thome

My (rather fuzzy memory) is that we turned down an offer of between £5m and £7m, only to sell for just over £2.5m a few months later.

Can't remember where I heard this as it was a few years ago, but sure there are others on here who can provide more info.

Was a solid player for us though.

Edited by i used to be sc_owl

He was sold in the season we were staring at relegation, the 2 bids came in earlier during the year before we were destined to go down.....so hence the price drop as we wanted him off the wage bill.

Never really got much of a chance at Chelsea as was trying to break in the team with Desailly and LeBoeuf as their main partnership.

I used to love that song about him looking like Paul Warhurst.....probably the only time I appreciated hearing the band knocking out a tune.

Didn't he end up going to Sundetland for twice the money Chelsea payed us?

Not exactly on the same scale as Kovachevic but still annoying.

Even more so as Sunderland were allegedly one of the clubs in for him at the 5m level before he went to Chelsea. Strangely enough Dave Richards was elected Premier League Chairman just after he moved to Chelsea and Ken Bates was his main backer. Strange co-incidence that isn't it? :ph34r:

I met him at Hillsborough once and shook his hand, he nearly crushed every bone in my hand, he was a monster of a bloke, but was really friendly and polite. As mentioned above him and Walker formed a great partnership.

Always remember big duncan ferguson running into thome at a corner to knock him out of the way and just bouncing off him and hitting the floor. Thome just turned around like nothing more than a fly had hit him. Beast of a bloke

I was at Sheff train station last year early morning and Richards walked by with his Premier League ruck sack heading for the KC train I assume.

Then I just heard some bloke shout "Richards you w•••••". I thought its nice to know your still despised 13 years on. I will always blame him for the start of our decline.

Do you also thank him for seeing us win our first trophy in 56 years?

Do you thank him for helping build a team that saw us finish 3rd in the top division, the highest finish in 31 years?

Do you thank him for the two cup finals we reached in '93, the first time reached the F.A Cup Final in 27 years?

How about the first time we'd been in Europe for 30 years?

Bringing in players into the squad like Des Walker, Chris Waddle, Chris Woods, Andy Sinton, Andy Hinchcliffe, Wim and loads more (not all a success but at the time all suppossed to be top players).

He turned down a then record transfer offer from Manchester United for David Hirst proving we were a buying club and didn't sell our best assets!

It's easy to slag Richards off for deserting us be he helped engineer 3-4 years that were fantastic.

I was at Sheff train station last year early morning and Richards walked by with his Premier League ruck sack heading for the KC train I assume.

Then I just heard some bloke shout "Richards you w•••••". I thought its nice to know your still despised 13 years on. I will always blame him for the start of our decline.

Absolute tripe...

... The train from Sheffield goes to St. Pancras

Edited by Ever the pessimist

This man headed a board of directors that authorised transactions that very nearly sank us not to mention the diabolical decision to get revenge on Atkinson.

He started the decline be in no doubt about it.

Do you think Leeds fans hold Ridsdale in high regard??

Was that Atkinson who stood on the town hall and said " No way will I leave this club" only to eff off to villa the next day?

Not diabolical at all eh!