Emerson Thome

Do you also thank him for seeing us win our first trophy in 56 years?

Do you thank him for helping build a team that saw us finish 3rd in the top division, the highest finish in 31 years?

Do you thank him for the two cup finals we reached in '93, the first time reached the F.A Cup Final in 27 years?

How about the first time we'd been in Europe for 30 years?

Bringing in players into the squad like Des Walker, Chris Waddle, Chris Woods, Andy Sinton, Andy Hinchcliffe, Wim and loads more (not all a success but at the time all suppossed to be top players).

He turned down a then record transfer offer from Manchester United for David Hirst proving we were a buying club and didn't sell our best assets!

It's easy to slag Richards off for deserting us be he helped engineer 3-4 years that were fantastic.

He did bring initial success and put us up there. But then why did the board stop? They thought they had made it and rested on their laurels at exactly the wrong time. Just after our success football then moved on at a rapid pace, foreign players, big clubs putting down global roots effectively making them TNCs and we stayed in a Yorkshire bubble with a board that couldn't comprehend what needed to be done, in my opinion.

danny Wilson dropped a right clanger selling Thome.

seem to rember the story at the time thome and des walker had fallen out so thome had to go, old des was well past his best by then but we still turned offers down for him and got shut of thome.

des stayed and was a liabilty every match all he did was put the ball out for corners and throw ins when we couldnt defend from ither at the time.

also rember big ron saying that when thome came for a trial he told his agent to leave the engine running as he would give him a ten min trial. he gave him a contract after five min

He did bring initial success and put us up there. But then why did the board stop? They thought they had made it and rested on their laurels at exactly the wrong time. Just after our success football then moved on at a rapid pace, foreign players, big clubs putting down global roots effectively making them TNCs and we stayed in a Yorkshire bubble with a board that couldn't comprehend what needed to be done, in my opinion.

That is exactly what happened. Richards was the head of these and every board member had a vote not just him. Apparantly it wasn't his decision to axe big ron the 2nd time, he was out voted by the board...

We were stuck with these until they almost took the club to extinction!!

I drank alot since the day's of Thome, so my memory is not what is was, but did we not knock back a more profitable offer a few months before Chelsea knocked the door and took him for a pittance?

I drank alot since the day's of Thome, so my memory is not what is was, but did we not knock back a more profitable offer a few months before Chelsea knocked the door and took him for a pittance?

All this rubbish about Emerson Thome loving Wednesday.....I know his agent and he once told me he wasSO desperate to get away - purely for financial reasons and ca't knock him for that but it always amazes how fans fall for the "I love Wednesday " poo pooe

Who's his agent then?

Do you also thank him for seeing us win our first trophy in 56 years?

Do you thank him for helping build a team that saw us finish 3rd in the top division, the highest finish in 31 years?

Do you thank him for the two cup finals we reached in '93, the first time reached the F.A Cup Final in 27 years?

How about the first time we'd been in Europe for 30 years?

Bringing in players into the squad like Des Walker, Chris Waddle, Chris Woods, Andy Sinton, Andy Hinchcliffe, Wim and loads more (not all a success but at the time all suppossed to be top players).

He turned down a then record transfer offer from Manchester United for David Hirst proving we were a buying club and didn't sell our best assets!

It's easy to slag Richards off for deserting us be he helped engineer 3-4 years that were fantastic.

I do agree with this.

This man headed a board of directors that authorised transactions that very nearly sank us not to mention the diabolical decision to get revenge on Atkinson.

He started the decline be in no doubt about it.

Do you think Leeds fans hold Ridsdale in high regard??

And i also agree with this :wacko:

Anyone else thinking of similarities with a certain Kevin McCabe across the city.

He had United in the prem and on the verge of greatness lol only to make bed decision after tragic decision and it will only be a matter of time until he cuts loose and the club may well be suffering for years.

Only difference is that when we were in the Prem, we were competing at the top intitially and actually winning things.

Also kind of uncanny that the bloke that got a lot of the flak in the relegation season for selling Thome and getting thrashed 8-0 at Newcastle amongst a few other horror decisions is now residing at the helm of the Lane :ghoulguy:

It was one of those transfers you can look back on and say - yeah, it's decisions like that which helped put us in the financial mess we got into.

He was cracking for us, really liked him. Typical of us though - we get a Brazilian in and rather than being tricky, skillful and a goal scoring sensation, he's a massive wall of a man who smashes through anyone in his way. Top bloke.

Chelsea must have been laughing all the way to the bank at how stupid our board were with the Emerson Thome scenario.

As people have said, they made double the fee without him hardly playing for them.

One of many, many times you have to ask the question, wtf was Dave Richards doing?

Oh, and Emerson Thome was frikkin quality

Big Ron signed a coupla good players in Thome & Alexandersson during his brief second spell. one of my biggest 'what ifs...' is Atkinson being offered a longer term instead of the crap that followed. i feel that was the club's biggest mistake of the last 20yrs.

Big Ron signed a coupla good players in Thome & Alexandersson during his brief second spell. one of my biggest 'what ifs...' is Atkinson being offered a longer term instead of the crap that followed. i feel that was the club's biggest mistake of the last 20yrs.

Are you saying it was a massive mistake in not giving Ron a longer contract (regardless who we might've got afterwards), or getting Wilson instead of Ron ?