Emerson Thome

Do you also thank him for seeing us win our first trophy in 56 years?

Do you thank him for helping build a team that saw us finish 3rd in the top division, the highest finish in 31 years?

Do you thank him for the two cup finals we reached in '93, the first time reached the F.A Cup Final in 27 years?

How about the first time we'd been in Europe for 30 years?

Bringing in players into the squad like Des Walker, Chris Waddle, Chris Woods, Andy Sinton, Andy Hinchcliffe, Wim and loads more (not all a success but at the time all suppossed to be top players).

He turned down a then record transfer offer from Manchester United for David Hirst proving we were a buying club and didn't sell our best assets!

It's easy to slag Richards off for deserting us be he helped engineer 3-4 years that were fantastic.

That is an interesting word, when DR is talked about.

Do you think all of the above would have counted for anything, if Milan hadn't come calling.

Are you saying it was a massive mistake in not giving Ron a longer contract (regardless who we might've got afterwards), or getting Wilson instead of Ron ?

both. Atkinson was a vastly experienced manager in the top flight. he was brought in to steady the ship and keep us up - he did that; he wanted a longer stay, and i think he earned a longer stay. we replaced managerial experience with what was thought to be managerial potential at the time; experience is often underrated.

both. Atkinson was a vastly experienced manager in the top flight. he was brought in to steady the ship and keep us up - he did that; he wanted a longer stay, and i think he earned a longer stay. we replaced managerial experience with what was thought to be managerial potential at the time; experience is often underrated.

Didn't Richards not offer BFR a contract cos he thought he'd got Gerard Houllier as a shoe-in? Then Wenger spoke to him and told him not to come to Wednesday just as the Liverpool job came up.

Didn't Richards not offer BFR a contract cos he thought he'd got Gerard Houllier as a shoe-in? Then Wenger spoke to him and told him not to come to Wednesday just as the Liverpool job came up.

no idea; sounds like unfounded speculation to me... even if true, we didn't get him. i feel that showing Atkinson the door was a major turning point for what followed. like Big Ron said himself, we were 2 or 3 players away from being very decent. i can't help but think players like Carbone & Di Canio would have been managed better by Atkinson than Wilson. talk of Houllier never came to fruition.

Also surprised Peter Atherton or Jon Newsome weren't with us around 1995/96. Must've been just before they joined us.

Atherton joined in 1993/4 and stayed until we were relegated in 2000 if I remember correctly. Newsome rejoined us towards the end of 1995/6, scoring in the draw at West Ham on the final day when we could still have been relegated had results gone against us.