Benito Carbone

Just been watching a few old season review vids. I know hes got a reputation as a bit of a mercenary, but is there a case to be made that Beni is our best ever player post-Francis-era? I mean, in 1998-99 he practically played the whole season by himself. And it shouldnt really matter, but he looked pretty cool too.

He is the reason why I supported Wednesday. Saw him pull off a difficult and un-neicessary bycicle kick out of no-where against Coventry that year when he simply could have headed it. From then on, my favourite player playing for my favourite team.

Watching players like carbone and di canio during my early few years at hillsborough is what got me hooked on the owls! As for best player, Beni would be up there. In a different position and situation, Brunty was top class from my memories!

Guest waistline ye diddle

Great player. Lovely hair.

Always prefered him to Di canio.

Edited by waistline ye diddle

Waddle was my first hero along with Hirst before he soon started to slow down.

Then when Carbone arrived he took on the mantle, rare to see a talented player work so hard although he struggled for goals some years.

Di Canio was something else though.

Not my favourite player of all time, but I always liked Carbone far more than Di Canio, to be honest I just dont like Di Canio at all.

Remember having a Carbone shirt when I was a bit younger, regardless of what anybody thought of him he could be great to watch and I'll never forget when we drew 1-1 with Man United at Hillsborough and he absolutely bossed the game.

Scored in the 1st game i ever went to .

We lost 2-1 to Villa it was about 96' maybe ? From then on was my hero, i remember running round the house celebrating like i was on summat' when i got home shouting Carbone scores and all that .

Legend !

Guest FanthamOfTheOpera

di Canio was the better player but no shame in that, they were both magnificent.

Things might have worked out better with Beni if we didn't have that sourpuss Wilson in charge along with 'Sir' Dave chipping in from the top. He got slated for storming off before the Southampton game (and rightly so), but at the same time at least he wanted to play - there were too many players around that time who would rather be on the bench than on the pitch. Carbone was the opposite and fair play to him for that. The club really arsed him around with the contract situation, publicly blaming him for the entire team's loss of form, etc etc.

Edited by FanthamOfTheOpera

di Canio was the better player but no shame in that, they were both magnificent.

Things might have worked out better with Beni if we didn't have that sourpuss Wilson in charge along with 'Sir' Dave chipping in from the top. He got slated for storming off before the Southampton game (and rightly so), but at the same time at least he wanted to play - there were too many players around that time who would rather be on the bench than on the pitch. Carbone was the opposite and fair play to him for that. The club really arsed him around with the contract situation, publicly blaming him for the entire team's loss of form, etc etc.

The way Richards and Wilson handled 'the two Italians' was an enormous stride down the road to where we have been this last decade. Not only did their incompetence cost us by far the best two players we had at the time, not only did they fail to replace them with anything remotely as capable, but it also lost us something like £5.75m on our original investment in them. F*ckwits.

Carbone was a bit like Tevez. Off the field was a bit of a mercenary (Carbone played for something like 19 clubs) but when he stepped over that line he was a hard working and very skilfiul player. The time he refused to be a sub at Southhampton and threw his dummy out takes shine off some of his goals for me.

But was an excellent player.