Benito Carbone

Fantastic player in his time at Hillsborough. With regard to his refusal to be a sub at southampton though you've got to have a little sympathy.

I reckon any of us blessed with his ability might well have done the same when you are asked to sit on the bench and watch the likes of Petter Rudi getting a game!

I like the way he sticks the nut on Kevin Gallagher. Didnt like it at the time, but its funny watching it back.

...and then hobbling off. Think he was just embarressed. That game showed the good and ugly of him. A car crash of a game, but the goals are for me more memorable than the fact we got smashed.

di Canio was the better player but no shame in that, they were both magnificent.

Things might have worked out better with Beni if we didn't have that sourpuss Wilson in charge along with 'Sir' Dave chipping in from the top. He got slated for storming off before the Southampton game (and rightly so), but at the same time at least he wanted to play - there were too many players around that time who would rather be on the bench than on the pitch. Carbone was the opposite and fair play to him for that. The club really arsed him around with the contract situation, publicly blaming him for the entire team's loss of form, etc etc.

The way Richards and Wilson handled 'the two Italians' was an enormous stride down the road to where we have been this last decade. Not only did their incompetence cost us by far the best two players we had at the time, not only did they fail to replace them with anything remotely as capable, but it also lost us something like £5.75m on our original investment in them. F*ckwits.

^^^^^^THIS.

Without doubt one of the best players to grace Hillsborough in the last 20 years imo. Even with all his faults, Benni had the ability to excite. I always thought he was put in the shade by Di Canio. But remembering how the two of them always seemed to be 2 moves ahead of the rest of the team still makes me salivate with excitement. It was a joy to behold.

Guest Retfordowl74

Loved Carbone, its a shame my lasting memory of him will be when he fell out with Hirsty in front of the kop (against derby i think)....

I agree with previous posts though, I dont think the club (wilson and richards) handled either of the itialians very well and it could all have been very different

I'd seen hirst and waddle and sheridan and nilsson etc - all great players, and then along came Beni; as a flair player, he was a cut above....

...and then we got Di Canio. Oh My.

And in that time the pigs have looked for inspiration to Glynn Hodges, Michael Brown, Alan Quinn and Carl Asaba.

No wonder they're bitter.

:biggrin:

Used to see Di Canio and Carbone all the time driving up and down Eccy Road in that Porsche. I think that's all they did all day after training, drive around visiting coffee shops and being Italian. I also remember seeing Carbone playing in that arcade in Meadowhall on that bowling game. Weird.

Guest BirdonaMaguire

He was great and I may be wrong but I think he stayed at Hillsborough the longest of any of his clubs.

I met him once in Nonnas..I was a butcher delivering meat back then and was in the kitchen when one of the staff asked me if I would like to meet him..I went through to the restaurant to shake hands. He asked my name and then wrote a message in Italian, shook my hand, smiled a lot and said something in Italian....no idea what?? That was before his first game.