How good was Carlton Palmer ?

Guest Wirrowl

I was at West Brom when he got that injury time winner. Anybody remember the details of that match? I agree with the OP - I am always putting people who support other teams straight about how awesome CP was. He was Yaya before Yaya was invented! The thing that even some owls forget is that his initially random finishing became totally reliable by his last season. He must have had some real application under the party image to work on that. AWESOME!

Guest spongejosesquarejaw

Best box to box midfielder at the club in my time watching. A true legend, thoroughly deserves to be mentioned amongst the likes of Shezza, Hirsty & Waddle

It was sad that he was suspended for the league cup final in '91 cos he played such a large part in getting us there, but I remember him saying the reception he got from the fans made up for it...

When I interviewed Chris Turner he heaped praise on Carlton for the Wembley win, saying how good he was for team spirit all through the build up regardless of the fact of his suspension.

As a player he was magnificent.

Strangely with my wife being from Birmingham, my father in law's mate was manager of a local side that had Carlton. This local manager told Carlton he'd never make a footballer!

Carlton Palmer was a excellent player. Think he would make 90% of people all time Wednesday team (who are old enought to remember him anyway).

Dont get though people comparing him to Semedo, different type of midfielders. Semedo is a defensive midfielder where as Paler was a box to box one. Plus Carton Palmer is a far, far better player.

In my opinion he was one of the best players we've ever had. What energy he had box to box was so easy for him.

Many non-owls have often said how on earth did he get picked for England. I always say you had to see him week in week out to recognise how good he was.

His England place was richly deserved and at that time for the job he had to do I would not have swapped him for any other player in the top division.

To be fair, England under the turnip head were poo .

Palmer was quality for us. Very underated by the majority non-owls. Probably a bit like James milner in that he's highly rated by his own fans but not appreciated by them that see him 3 times a year.

He was brilliant for us wherever he played and a true legend but if he had stuck to centre half i reckon he could have been a England Legend as well . he was that good .

Was just going to post this. Great midfielder, truly inspirational 'character' (dear god could we do with someone like him now!!) and if he had reverted to centre half in his prime I genuinely do think he would have been world class.

Him and Sheri worked absolutely perfectly together. Both excellent players in different ways but together they were far greater than the sum of their parts. Much of Big Ron's side were like that: King and Worthy, Williams and Hirst.

Makes you wonder, had John Sheridan decided to represent England (he was born in Manchester after all) and been selected alongside Carlton...

BFR brought him with him from WBA. I was working in Birmingham at the time with some Baggies fans who all told me we'd signed a gem cos I'd not really heard of him, and they were right. DJ later signed him for Southampton btw- - I like DJ's quote about him - "He covers every blade of grass out there, but that's only because his first touch is so crap" DJ obviously had a sense of humour in those days, he must have lost that overnight too.

CP is still only 47, not much older than some of our squad- could he do a job? :rolleyes:

In my opinion he was one of the best players we've ever had. What energy he had box to box was so easy for him.

Many non-owls have often said how on earth did he get picked for England. I always say you had to see him week in week out to recognise how good he was.

His England place was richly deserved and at that time for the job he had to do I would not have swapped him for any other player in the top division.

always place behind john sheridan in the adoration stakes,not for me Carlton was the rock of our team at the time,he richly deserved his England caps and his hero status at SWFC

sheridan couldnt run, carlton couldnt kick, they were the perfect combo.

anything but a side footed carlton pass could have gone anywhere,

the odd one went in the top corner.

but somehow, i reckon he was our best all round centre mid of the last 20+yrs.

it was impossible to boss our midfield with that man playing.

havoc, carnage, energy, never say die, aggression, awkwardness,

inspiration, unpassable, athelte, winner are just words off top of my head.

he generally won it on' deck or 8ft in' air by sometimes sending opponents

into touch or flying and layed it off to the flair players.

knew his limitations and stuck to his strengths, sheridan would often sit and spray

to save his little legs, carlton was best let loose to hunt.

plus hardly ever got injured, ultra consistent and cleared loads of set pieces.

MASSIVE LEGEND