How good was Carlton Palmer ?

If I remember correctly I think Trevor Francis wanted him to play at centre back but he didn't really want to so he signed for Howard Wilkinson at Leeds where he played at centre back.ffs.

His hat trick against QPR was perfect - left, right and header - not necessarily in that order, which also describes his running style.

He was a lot better on the ball than he was ever given credit for but without the ball I haven't seen anybody better. An earlier post mentioned Yaya Toure and it is not as daft a comparison as some might think. Although not in the same league, ability and scoring wise, as Toure, Carlton was also able to change games by sheer force of effort and presence.

carlton palmer,was and probably will forever be the best midfield player i have/will see in a wednesdy shirt, apart from his shooting,he had everything,there was nothing he couldn't do on a football field.

quite simply a wednesday legend and one of our best ever players.

wish i knew what he smoked!! :)

Best player we had I my days of watching Wednesday 80-2000's.

I used to pretend I was him as a boy. Unlimited energy, box to box midfielder before the phrase was truly coined.

I still fight his corner to this day. First time i saw Viera play, I thought of Palmer, except for the shooting :-). Atkinson used to call him Miss Palmer. Never saw him have a bad game. Never saw him drop his head. Love the man.

First player on my all time favourite team sheet.

In my opinion he was one of the best players we've ever had. What energy he had box to box was so easy for him.

Many non-owls have often said how on earth did he get picked for England. I always say you had to see him week in week out to recognise how good he was.

His England place was richly deserved and at that time for the job he had to do I would not have swapped him for any other player in the top division.

Do what i do when anyone questions Carltons England selection name me any occasion he let England down.

In the Taylor Documentary the only thing he did wrong was score cos Taylor had ordered him to sit,

Carlton is one of my all time favourite players he was superb in Midfield and when called on to play centre half on the odd occasion he was brilliant there

Edited by Lawrie Madden

Guest wadsgod

Palmer & Sheridan are the best midfielders to put the blue and white shirt I have seen in 36yrs of watching Wednesday. He's Easley up there with the likes of Hirst Nillson Waddle & Shez

Haven't read everyone else's posts so probably repeating what's already been said.

He did the dirty work, winning the ball, getting back and covering in defence, then supporting attack. He never stopped running and must have covered 15 miles in every game he played.

He had legs longer than a giraffe's neck, that extended like a fireman's ladder, whenever anyone tried to get past him, and would simply nick the ball back every time.

Then he gave the ball to the masterful artisan John Sheridan, who would stroke the ball about, landing it on a sixpence at the feet of a team mate, rarely giving the ball away. Together they formed the best central midfield partnership in England at the time imho.

Between them they turned defence into attack in an instant.

He knew he was good though, his lack of modesty was the only fault I could find in him. He failed playing for England because there was nobody as good as Shez alongside him, but he was brilliant at what he did.

He was picked at centre half for England after an injury crisis...he had to mark the Rest of the World striker papin who was europe's golden boot winner...papin never had a kick and said that Carlton was the best defender he had played against

He covered at CB with Wednesday an a few occassions too............As a midfielder, I would always have him in my all time eleven, good as he was (and he was very very good!) he was always somewhat underrated. As an CB, I always thought he could have been world class but he always said he didn't like playing there...pity.

Ace, flippingimmense and will always be one of my favourite players ever !

non wednesdayites didnt get him and thought he was crap cos of his style but unlike us they never had the pleasure of seeing him week in week out.

how i would love even a half Carlton Palmer these days