How good was Carlton Palmer ?

With Sheridan and Palmer we had such a good combination.

The joke used to be that Palmer would tell Shez that he could not run....and he would reply but you can't pass.

Often thought if we grafted Sheridans head on to Palmers body we would have the best payer in the world...ever!

Never mind with those two we had a a seriously good midfield unit. Oh they were happy days!

U really had to watch and see our carlton to believe it, he had an engine burning like a furnace and could do the most unpredictable things, a true wednesday star never given enough credit for his unbelieveable service to us. Great servant and amazing athlete.... Reda could learn a lot from watching his action. He has the potential and with the backing from us could maybe do half as good??.....

Guest Triplej2

Aye, he was flipping immense. Could get from box to box in about 6 strides :biggrin:

Them's were t'days when we used to sign players from clubs like West Brom and not the other way round!

Last time I was at Wembley for an England match I was stood next to the Bobby Moore statue. A young lad turned to his dad and asked him "Dad, where is the Carlton Palmer statue?", The dad replied "Soon son, soon".

The thing about Carlton, as well as being an excellent player, he was a character too, he liked a laugh and he was great to have around the dressing room. I remember him getting in a bit of trouble in a bar, he was flirting with this young woman, he pointed to her skirt and said "I'll put it in there" then he pointed to her mouth and said "and it will come out there"

Just a bloke, who used up all his luck in one go when he met his wife.

Fantastic player, and one of my all time heroes. Oh how I wish he was still playing!!!!!

There haven't been many players that could cover the distances he used to run in a game.

I could never understand the bad press he would receive, and I'd argue his case anytime.

Was a truly awesome signing by Big Ron.

Have met him a few times and he's a great bloke.

Guest Bournemouth Owl

If only we had him now ..... Along with John Sheriden, Chris t Waddle, David Hirst, Pablo Di Canio, Des Walker. we would be quite a good team

CP was a far better footballer than many Owls fans ever gave him credit for. Remember talking in our local club to the steward who was Wednesday-mad, and his son, another ST holder.When we expressed the opinion of how good he was, we were slagged off by a real gang of 'Owls Fans', who insisted he was crap and we didn't know what we were talking about.