How good was Carlton Palmer ?

Proper hero , him and Sheridan used to boss evry midfield. Was great at breaking up play and would bust a gut to get forward at every opportunity. His ungainly style led to the criticism from outside sources.

Immense. The most underrated player in our history. Shortly after he left for Leeds he turned up in the away end at Blackburn. A few loons crowded round him at half time screaming "The Wednesday Hate Carlton Palmer" Even though it was a bit menacing he never batted an eyelid.

When he came back, we had kids like Stephen Haslam in midfield who were getting bullied every week. The first game he was back somebody fouled Haslam and Carlton grabbed whoever it was by the throat, which was exactly what the kids needed.

Carlton Palmer was our engine, and driving force.

Totally agree Hootie. Never stopped running and fighting for the cause, never gave anything less than 100%, if ever the heads dropped Carlton would be going round geeing everybody back up. Never lost a 50/50 ball and most of the time won 30/70 balls cause he would just dive in and one of his long legs would come out with the ball.

Edited by Soul Power

Guest wilyfox

Carlton was the complete midfielder for us. box-to-box, energy, movement, work-rate, defensive ability and equally proficient carrying the ball forward. he gave us real forward drive.

He was picked at centre half for England after an injury crisis...he had to mark the Rest of the World striker papin who was europe's golden boot winner...papin never had a kick and said that Carlton was the best defender he had played against

Me and my brother used to rate the players after every game for three or four seasons. We only ever gave out a perfect 20 a handful of times but one of those was for Palmer playing in central defence against the Blades at Wembley in 1993.

I'm glad to see him getting proper credit for what he did for us. He was ungainly, arrogant, little goal threat and a target for England fans not bright enough to see what he brought to the team. But the truth is he was enormously influential for us and allowed the flair players to do their stuff while he put in the graft.

astonishing footballer - had never seen anything like him before nor since - a unique player who fitted into the team which was then built around him. Big Ron adored him and that's good enough for me.

Always remember the equaliser at Oakwell 90, when it looked like the game was slipping away, and the equalisler at Ayresome Park when again it looked like we fooked up in the league cup. A true ledgend

Guest Theboylangers

And he was the recipient of one of the best and most original Wednesday songs ever of course.

Edited by Shaunnie

In my opinion he was one of the best players we've ever had. What energy he had box to box was so easy for him.

Many non-owls have often said how on earth did he get picked for England. I always say you had to see him week in week out to recognise how good he was.

His England place was richly deserved and at that time for the job he had to do I would not have swapped him for any other player in the top division.

fully agree them cross field runs he did devastated the opposision he also had a good touch, his finishing got better and better and he was awesome when called on in central defence, its only lazy journalism when writers say he was poo poo

Used to back him every game to score first - didn't win much.

Was typical of BFRs team at that time, could play, worked hard and played harder. Was an absolute dream a few years ago when me n a few off here (fattybear, Grandad and others) got on Soccer AM (back when it was good) and CP was one of the guests. But they wouldn't let us sing his song.

CARLTON. HIT LES, DEMAND IT!!!!

Incidentally, why was he sold? Did he want to go to Leeds, did the manager not like him? Could never work that transfer out.

TBF England were shyt at the time.

Indeed - but for some reason Palmer gets the blame for that, when he was a lot better than many of the shysters that got capped under Taylor.

Remember that header he scored against Everton!! Absolutely loved the man.

When I watched us get dumped out of the FA cup to Wimbledon in 97, he was sat right behind us, top bloke.

We've never replaced him but Semedo is a candidate for the job.

"One of the longest headers I've seen at a match was Carlton Palmer for Sheffield Wednesday against Everton at Goodison in 1993-1994," says Iain McCluskey. "Palmer headed it miles up in the air from about 22 yards. It looked like it was drifting over until it dipped wickedly at the end, and tucked under a motionless Neville Southall's bar."