Ryan Lowe, the story so far

Guest intercity0wl

Guest Big Guns

To be honest I don't no much about lowe apart from he scores lots of goals so wot kind of strikers is he and how will him and madine link up but good luck lowe get us them goals

I've never been aboard the hype train regarding strikers needing pace. Perhaps in the Premiership it's more valuable (if you already have the other attributes you need), but it's certainly not an issue at this level, so Lowe's age doesn't concern me one bit.

What a good striker needs is the will to never stop running and have that presence of mind to know when and where to make those runs, you don't have to be fast if you can read the game better than the opposition's defenders. Mackail-smith wasn't particularly fast and tore this league to shreds, he just had the stamina to chase everything and the ability to make clever runs in behind.

Prutton is going to turn into a key player (if he wasn't already) with the arrival of Lowe, he has the vision needed to spot a runner and make a pass, I think they're going to combine really well. Watch this space.

Reject who wouldn’t let his dream die

Published on Monday 5 September 2011 07:47

WHEN he was 19, Ryan Lowe was like many of the young players who have failed to make the grade at a league club.

He went back to grassroots football.

But even when playing on Sundays in his home city of Liverpool he was fuelled by a burning desire to be a professional.

His rise began in the non-league game on Saturdays and he moved up to become a prolific scorer in the Football League

Now almost 33, he has arrived on the big stage of Hillsborough at an age when many players are beginning to wind down their careers.

His story could also be an inspiration to any young player

“I went all over when I was I was young: Liverpool, Tranmere, and all the way across to Hull. It didn’t quite work out,” said the Owls’ new £100,000 striker.

“I went back to grass-roots level, and played non-league football for Burscough and Southport.”

At one stage he was playing on Sundays for a Liverpool team called the Sandon Dock and on Saturdays for Lancashire non-league team Burscough.

“Eventually I went back to Tranmere and to Everton, It was Everton who recommended me to Kevin Ratcliffe [former Toffees star] at Shrewbury.”

He was 22 when he left Burscough and signed his first professional contract, at Meadow Lane.

“I was just so pleased to get the nod to be a professional,” he said.

“Maybe I wasn’t quite as good in the early years. As you get older you learn more.

“People may say I’m nearly 33 [on September 18], but I’m still hungry, and at this big club I want to test myself at the highest possible level I can achieve.”

“All credit to the own

er, the manager and everybody involved for making it possible for me to be here.

“It’s not often you see the sort of thing that’s happened to me.

“All I can do is to try to repay the club for what they have done for me, and hopefully that will be with my goals and performances.

“”I don’t think anyone is ever too old to play at a higher level, and you can’t be too young if you’re good enough.”

Lowe, who is set for his debut at Charlton tonight, has proved himself at Shrewsbury, Chester, Crewe and Bury.

Of most relevance to Wednesday is his record of 53 goals in 100 appearance for the Shakers over the last two years, including one last Saturday with a 30-yard free-kick against Charlton, which took his tally for this season to seven already.

The striker also won acclaim from his fellow professionals last season when he won a place in the PFA’s League Two team of the year.

He believes that other players could emulate what he has achieved.

“There were other good players around Liverpool. It seemed they didn’t want it enough. It was just my ambition to play professional football, whether it be semi-pro, the second or third divisions, or the Championship,” he said.

“I kept fit and worked hard and always knew I’d prove a few people wrong. I’ve done that.

“What a place to come to: a massive club with massive expectations, which is tough, because when you’re at a club like this everyone wants that bit of silverware straight away.

“Obviously it takes time. But if I can help in any way I’m more than happy to do that.”

Lowe, a Liverpool fan, has never forgotten his roots: “The Sandon Dock have folded now but until a couple of years ago i used to go and watch them on a Sunday.

“I remember where I come from. There are players out there who, I believe, could do what I’ve done.”

There's just something about Lowe that makes me think he might just become a very popular player here. He's a very unglamorous sort of player and hardly the sort of signing we were clamouring for at the start of the summer, but if he gets us afew goals and puts in the effort for us I can see him being a popular figure at Hillsborough.

Not too dissimilar to a certain Lee Bullen.

There's just something about Lowe that makes me think he might just become a very popular player here. He's a very unglamorous sort of player and hardly the sort of signing we were clamouring for at the start of the summer, but if he gets us afew goals and puts in the effort for us I can see him being a popular figure at Hillsborough.

Not too dissimilar to a certain Lee Bullen.

Could have a good point there re Bullen. If Lowe can settle into the team and get on the scoresheet early in his career with us then his age will rapidly be forgotten by his detractors. Even if we only get a couple of seasons out of him, if he helps get us promoted he'll be well thought of. In fact, if I know Owls fans like I think I do, his age will help him achieve cult status. We are the fans that sang 'We've got Tricky Trevor, But he won't play forever' after all. We've seen what age and experience can add to a team. Those short sighted enough to write him off would do well to brush up on their history.

Guest intercity0wl

ryan lowe has had to graft all the way

massive contrast to the "silver spoon tosspots" we're usually associated with

this is exactly the type of player madine needs, lowe will bring the best out of him

i can see them both scoring shed loads

And combined with the yet to come return of COG & JJ i would say thats quite a few goals waiting to be scored, but you can guarantee if they dont start to come tonight some numptys will be on here writing them of before 9.30 pm..

Edited by intercity0wl

Guest TonyOwl88

Its nice to have a player like Ryan Lowe at our football club. We will have a tough game tonight, and probably will conceed a goal or two. I guess that's where Lowe comes in. Goals are as good a form of defence as any other.