A lifetime BAN!?

Seems a tad harsh, could be a diehard fan who's had 20 pints too many and thought he was bein clever. Surely a few years would be suffice!!!

As above all but the very worst criminals are eventually released from prison

It seems strange and disproportionate that the rooters who have caused so much harm and distress will all be free and this kid in 40 years from now will still not be able to go to the football

Edited by Geedee

Its just the club looking to do the right thing - its not really enforcable, give it a month or so and let the gonads die down. I know of lads that got life time bans in years gone by and had season tickets a couple of years later!

The lifetime ban is extremely harsh and a couple of years would seem like a more normal punishment for the "offence".

There are different types of "going on the pitch", the most common being over exuberance after a goal in a big or important game.

Why the flip anyone would run on during this particular game escapes me so ban him anyway just for being a clueless plantpot.

...so...when the euphoria hits on the last Saturday at S6 and we get promotion and one or two fans get a little bit giddy and run on to celebrate will they get life time bans too?...

I'm all for lifetime bans for violence and thretening behaviour but this sounds like 'Cameron-speak' for getting tough. Make an example of the easy targets and shy away from the harder ones.

I imagine that the club would look at the context of the event. A mass pitch invasion after a match in celebration of an achievement is a bit different from someone running onto the pitch during play. What if he'd attacked a player? I remember being at a Millwall game in the League Cup in the mid-'90s and a Millwall fan ran on and told Kevin Pressman that he wouldn't leave the stadium alive. There has to be a zero-tolerance policy.

The point of a very harsh punishment is obviously to be as strong a deterrent as possible. If they only punished the offender with a limited ban it would start to become more commonplace, and much more disruptive to the sport. The punishment doesn't fit the crime in reality, but the club has no choice but to take the hardest possible stance in order to try to prevent it from happening again.

Similarly, the punishments for the rioters/looters has been harsh because a) they need to prevent it happening again, and b) it caused fear. In real terms, nicking a couple of pairs of trainers from a shop (which is pretty much all the majority of the looters did) isn't considered a massive crime, but living in London myself I can tell you that for several nights almost the entire city was in fear. Nobody knew what was going to happen next, or whether they were going to be affected or targeted. The players on the pitch are going to be concerned for their own safety if a fan runs on the pitch unexpectedly, regardless of their intentions.

...but you're getting 14 year olds who 'pinched' a baseball cap or bottle of water getting custodial sentences when everyone knws the really, really nasty fookers will be the ones who get away with it again. And I know that when I was 14 I did far worse....even at footie matches...simply because I got caught up in the 'peer group..sheep' mentality.

Just seems that the easy, stupid 'sheep' get the book thrown at them and the ones that should be dealt with with harsher sentences end up sneaking away..

I hate folks running onto the pitch but sometimes a little common sense means they realise there own stupidity and don't do it again.....and if they do, then they get a ban.

Edited by Freshfish

...but you're getting 14 year olds who 'pinched' a baseball cap or bottle of water getting custodial sentences when everyone knws the really, really nasty fookers will be the ones who get away with it again. And I know that when I was 14 I did far worse....even at footie matches...simply because I got caught up in the 'peer group..sheep' mentality.

Just seems that the easy, stupid 'sheep' get the book thrown at them and the ones that should be dealt with with harsher sentences end up sneaking away..

I hate folks running onto the pitch but sometimes a little common sense means they realise there own stupidity and don't do it again.....and if they do, then they get a ban.

True, but they need to stamp out the "peer group...sheep" mentality because that's the reason it escalated into such a huge problem - because the ordinary bored kids were getting involved. If they hadn't got involved it would've only left the real criminals, who would've then been dealt with. A handful of genuine criminals causes a problem, but hundreds of people doing the same thing but on a much bigger scale affects so many more innocent people in the long run. Knowing how severe the punishments will be, the vast majority of kids who would've otherwise become involved would now think twice. If they only got light punishments, there's nothing to deter them from doing again in the future.

If somebody runs on the pitch and doesn't get a lifetime ban, then there's 20,000 other fans who all know that if they run on the pitch they won't get a ban as long as they only do it once. Therefore, there's no deterrent. Obviously very few would do it, but I expect there would be a hell of a lot more incidents like this happening every time a ref makes a bad decision or something like that.

Guest Big Guns

Is that related in any way to those people who big up their own business exploits, earning power and physique?

:biggrin:

yep i bet there are some people out there who are just like that :ohmy: ,some of us are lucky enough to be able to speak the truth :cool: