Paolo D.

Guest moonraker

Hope Swindon lose their 1st 10 games and the thrower is sent packing back to his Vespa before christmas .

I'd be ashamed if this arse ever set foot in Hillsborough again in any sort of capacity for Wednesday after the way he bad mouthed the club and the fans.

Yeah, especially after the club backed him all the way eh?

THE most exciting player I've ever seen wearing a Wednesday shirt.

Rewrite history all you want but the fact is if Wednesday hadn't banned DickAnio his FA ban would have been more severe and just what has how he percieved his treatment by the club got to do with the fans ? On the beeb he slated the city, the club and most unforgivably us the fans all from a racist w anker, all the while tooling around Rome on a scooter at a time when he was telling Sheffield Wednesday he wasn't fit to travel from Rome to Sheffield.

No player is bigger than the club or its fans this includes gifted nobheads like DickAnio.

I think you are guilty of your initial accusation sir

Firstly you use stats of Wilson's time in the prem with us to disprove my claim that I think he has one of the best records OUTSIDE of the prem

Secondly anyone who thinks the manager who showed Di Canio the door (assuming you are right on that one) did more damage than the one who showed Waddle and Hirst the door is definately on dodgy ground

Hirst left for Soton for a decent fee and ended his career shortly after. Waddle was also well past his best and headed down the leagues. The problem being that that ageing side from the early 90s was never properly replaced. We built a team full of grafters and then spent a little bit of cash on Carbone and Di Canio which eventually made us a 2 man team.

Pleat started the problem, coupled with the board who couldnt seem to make their mind up whether they wanted to "go for it" financially or not. Big Ron came in and he briefly made us all feel and appear like that early 90s side again, shrewd signings such as Thome and Alexanderson complemented Carbone and Di Canio but we sacked him and Wilson finished off the job through being unable to manage big name players.

Rewrite history all you want but the fact is if Wednesday hadn't banned DickAnio his FA ban would have been more severe and just what has how he percieved his treatment by the club got to do with the fans ? On the beeb he slated the city, the club and most unforgivably us the fans all from a racist w anker, all the while tooling around Rome on a scooter at a time when he was telling Sheffield Wednesday he wasn't fit to travel from Rome to Sheffield.

No player is bigger than the club or its fans this includes gifted nobheads like DickAnio.

I thought he was complementary of the fans in the main?

Di Canio acted poorly, perhaps it was because he was one of the "first of his kind" in terms of tempramental genius foreigners in the UK but the club failed to realise that some players in fact ARE bigger than the club because without them the club is either relegated or severely out of pocket. Although we took the course of action which some may say was telling him and his tantrums to rightly flip off, we were failing to move with the times and the changing face of football. Even Sir Alex has had to bend over for players i.e. Ronaldo and Rooney.

V

Good player? Yes.

Great player? No. How many caps did he win for Italy?

David Hirst brilliant footballer, how many caps for England? 4. Eric Cantona how many caps for France? Great players don`t always play loads or games for their country and PDC was a flipping fantastic player.

Guest ak15

Di Canio is more of an enigma than a legend for me.

He won nothing at Wednesday and his antics did contribute to the clubs decline.

Waddle > Di Canio

I hope it all goes Pete Tong for him at Swindon Town :biggrin:

Think bluesteel just touched on a pivotal moment in our history, and one which I feel consigned us to the last ten years: not giving Big Ron a new contract. That single act of pettiness by Richards and the board, followed by the stupidity of the Wilson appointment put us on that slippery slope with I pray only concluded a few months ago.

Think bluesteel just touched on a pivotal moment in our history, and one which I feel consigned us to the last ten years: not giving Big Ron a new contract. That single act of pettiness by Richards and the board, followed by the stupidity of the Wilson appointment put us on that slippery slope with I pray only concluded a few months ago.

^^^^^^^

This

Also, when you look at Di Canio, just compare how Ferguson dealt with Cantona after the Kung Fu kick. Worlds apart in the treatment and sadly for us the end result. If Richards hadn't been so interested in scoring petty points against Big Ron and feathering his nest with the Premier League and FA, the last 10 years or so could have been so different.

As for Paulo, an absolute genius (and enigma) as a footballer. When he played you always expected the unexpected and usually got it. The sort of player that the public loves to see, talented and unpredictable. I really do wish him well at Swindon.

Oh and if Alcock had been a player he would have been sent off for diving!

I would be very excited if I was a Swindon fan. This is exactly the kind of appointment we should have made years ago. A name that would completely lift the club. Imagine if we had appointed di canio instead of Irvine, there would have been 30,000 in the ground for the next match. Good luck to him. Bet there is a sell out for his first home game.

Di Canio ..i believe said he would be back to see Wednesday fans on boxing day that year after serving the ban...no show....Ive said before it was a pleasure to watch him play, a brilliant footballer, but he wanted out of Hillsborough, he got what he wanted.

What else could the club fvckin' do after that particular piece of fvckin' buffoonery?...No club could condone it....A club of Wednesdays stature at the time had little or no choice...they could have terminated his contract there and then with little criticism...they didn't... he should have returned to play against i think it was leicester ..he didn't...he ran off, he let the fans down....the fans he had promised to see on Boxing Day that year...fans who actually stood outside the hearing supporting him....

Don't fvckin' kid yourselves he knew what he was doing

I thought he was complementary of the fans in the main?

Di Canio acted poorly, perhaps it was because he was one of the "first of his kind" in terms of tempramental genius foreigners in the UK but the club failed to realise that some players in fact ARE bigger than the club because without them the club is either relegated or severely out of pocket. Although we took the course of action which some may say was telling him and his tantrums to rightly flip off, we were failing to move with the times and the changing face of football. Even Sir Alex has had to bend over for players i.e. Ronaldo and Rooney.

Not in that beeb thing they aired at the time nor when he stated he had lost the fans player of the year award that he didn't give a throw about.

And for all those still peddling the rubbish that Wednesday somehow treated him badly please put up the video of Danny Wilson shoving Alcock over or maybe a baord member.

DiCanio was possibly the most gifted player i ever saw play for us but he pissed it up the wall with his "I'm too ill to travel ..........................now watch me wheelie my scrot round this square" thrower full whack.

It's sad to see so many people taken in by the simplistic "he doesn't love the club like you do" rhetoric of the time from a chairman and manager who each had their own selfish agendas and both proved disastrous in the long run. Subsequent chairmen have also gone on to exploit those same superficial emotions for their own ends. Wind 'em up and let 'em go.

If Di Canio was such a terrible mercenary who never gave a stuff about anyone but himself and was constantly rubbing people up the wrong way, one has to wonder why he had such a good relationship with Ron Atkinson and why he was so revered at West Ham. And we also have to ask why he has the reputation of training harder and longer than anyone else in the squad. Richards and Wilson knew which buttons to push and unfortunately Di Canio obliged them by reacting predictably. But they already wanted him out anyway so it would have happened one way or the other. The way it unfolded only made their task easier at it smoothed the way for his departure that would otherwise have caused uproar.

Still, at least it all turned out well for the club eh?

:dry:

Edited by DJMortimer

It's sad to see so many people taken in by the simplistic "he doesn't love the club like you do" rhetoric of the time from a chairman and manager who each had their own selfish agendas and both proved disastrous in the long run. Subsequent chairmen have also gone on to exploit those same superficial emotions for their own ends. Wind 'em up and let 'em go.

If Di Canio was such a terrible mercenary who never gave a stuff about anyone but himself and was constantly rubbing people up the wrong way, one has to wonder why he had such a good relationship with Ron Atkinson and why he was so revered at West Ham. And we also have to ask why he has the reputation of training harder and longer than anyone else in the squad. Richards and Wilson knew which buttons to push and unfortunately Di Canio obliged them by reacting predictably. But they already wanted him out anyway so it would have happened one way or the other. The way it unfolded only made their task easier at it smoothed the way for his departure that would otherwise have caused uproar.

Still, at least it all turned out well for the club eh?

:dry:

Probably because some fans fall for the sap that comes out of the boardroom at the time.

Di Canio was simply left on his own to deal with the FA, media and the powerful World of football pundentry. Wilson and Richards lambasted the man who was a true Genius.

We complain about Di Canio but those are the type on players we dreamt of attracting to Hillsborough. Those types of players have to taken and accepted, Warts and all.