Paolo D.

Guest moonraker

I don't think anyone can deny that PDC was a footballing genius, but a very volatile character and yes the way the club handled his " incident " was disgraceful. But as been said he didn't hande it well either.

Ppl compare him to the other Italian genius Carbone, I'd say PDC was more technically gifted but Carbone was more effective. But there is one major difference, Carbone still holds the club and fans in high regard, PDC never cared about our club in the way he cares about WHUFC or Celtic.

The ppl who say they would welcome him back and give him a good reception, would this include if he came back this season as manager of our pork stained neighbors, which is a possibility. PDC is a case of the genius that was never really ours and the best of luck to him as long as he never affects our club

I was at Upton Park when we beat West Ham 2-1 with Morrison scoring - he got unbelievable stick, and gave a fair bit back. I doubt he thinks much of us, even if time has healed wounds with some of our fans.

Such a shame it all ended how it did, how different our history may have been had he been in the team in our relegation season :sad:

I'll never forgive Richards and to a lesser extent Wilson for how they handled that. Nothing to do with what was in the best interests of SWFC, they were looking after their own agendas.

Di Canio used to live in the same block of flats at my nana and grandad ( ivey court road) and when ever i saw him he would also stop to talk to me and my grandad. . He was all ways really nice and seemed to appreciate how big a fan i was of him. He even gave me a signed shirt. He used to tell my grandad though that all though he loved playing for Wednesday he felt that at times Wilson didn't really like him and Benny. This seemed strange to me as i thought they were both class.

As a player i think he is the best i have ever seen play for us. I suppose i haven't really had much choice as all i can really remember about Waddle was him missing a pen against wolves in the cup and my only out standing memories of Hirst was him hitting the bar really hard and him scoring for the saints against us. I don't think i will ever see a player as good as Paulo play for us again and for people to critisise him when we hung him out to dry is daft.

Great player but I'd still put Hirst and Waddle above him.

Same for me but without a doubt the club completely shafted him... yes he was a mardy so and so but the arm around the shoulder "we still love you paolo" was probably all it would have taken!

In whatever capacity he ever turns up back at Hillsborough - I will welcome him - then if he's with a opposition "expect wednesday to beat him"...

ironic that as a player Wilson had the heart of a lion - but as a manager he was a shrivelled little maggot

Obviously it was a completely horrendous appointment and that was obvious from day one - i still resent the fact he was appointed

It still to this day makes me angry when i remember Wilson in the post match interview basically distancing himself and the club from PDC and laying down like a doormat for the FA to wipe their shitty shoes on

That interview should be played whenever would-be managers convene as the completely wrong way in which to go about handling such incidents

It has actually affected the amount of affection i have for Wilson who was a very good player for us in a very good team - but i struggle to think of him in anything but a really jaundiced light because of what his management did to the club

He shouldn't worry - despite having Grim Reaper like tendencies he'll get the chance to destroy another club soon

Paolo DiCanio was one of only TWO players (Chris Waddle being the other) that could singlehandedly turn a game and win it on his own

A true great

A genuine Wednesday LEGEND

And one of the best players we have EVER SEEN at Hillsborough in blue and white

Nothing else matters and anyone arguing anything else are the exact idiots who hound out talented players from Wednesday that make me SICK

Owlstalk Shop

Paolo DiCanio was one of only TWO players (Chris Waddle being the other) that could singlehandedly turn a game and win it on his own

A true great

A genuine Wednesday LEGEND

And one of the best players we have EVER SEEN at Hillsborough in blue and white

Nothing else matters and anyone arguing anything else are the exact idiots who hound out talented players from Wednesday that make me SICK

Agree with all of that but i'd put Hirsty in that category as well

PDC was the most outrageously talented of them all though - a complete barking fruitcake who could send the whole stadium dizzy with his tricks - i feel privelidged to have seen him - and to watch him playing for Wednesday has been one of the highlights of my life regarding football.

I remember when we played Man U at home and he literally terrorised their entire defence for the whole game - even when they were camped in our half in the 2nd half when they were trying to get back on level terms - and we'd clear the ball and Di Canio would latch onto it and they would send a posse after him and just couldn't get the ball - kinda fitting he sealed the win with a scruffy overhead kick near the end

If we'd kept him sweet our subsequent history would have been very different imo - and much better

ironic that as a player Wilson had the heart of a lion - but as a manager he was a shrivelled little maggot

Obviously it was a completely horrendous appointment and that was obvious from day one - i still resent the fact he was appointed

It still to this day makes me angry when i remember Wilson in the post match interview basically distancing himself and the club from PDC and laying down like a doormat for the FA to wipe their shitty shoes on

That interview should be played whenever would-be managers convene as the completely wrong way in which to go about handling such incidents

It has actually affected the amount of affection i have for Wilson who was a very good player for us in a very good team - but i struggle to think of him in anything but a really jaundiced light because of what his management did to the club

He shouldn't worry - despite having Grim Reaper like tendencies he'll get the chance to destroy another club soon

I have dredged this old article again. Its also ironic to see peoples comments relating to Wilson doing a GREAT job and one or two have made comment about Di Canio

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindontown/news/4798346.Wilson_has_no_sympathy_for_his_old_club/

I have dredged this old article again. Its also ironic to see peoples comments relating to Wilson doing a GREAT job and one or two have made comment about Di Canio

http://www.swindonadvertiser.co.uk/sport/swindontown/news/4798346.Wilson_has_no_sympathy_for_his_old_club/

Very interesting indeed, reading the comments from the Swindon fans about how they're a good wealthy club on there way up, and we are a poor club on the slide. lol

How ironic that we sent them down!!!!

Interesting last line Scram, because without looking up the facts I'd venture that Wilson has been one of the more succesful managers outside of the premiership since he stopped playing?

And for those who want to put the blame for our demise at Danny Wilson's door, have you forgot about the kerb crawling maggot who was in my opinion the real cause......and lets not forget how Wilson was shafted over the Michael Mols and Dani signings

Interesting last line Scram, because without looking up the facts I'd venture that Wilson has been one of the more succesful managers outside of the premiership since he stopped playing?

And for those who want to put the blame for our demise at Danny Wilson's door, have you forgot about the kerb crawling maggot who was in my opinion the real cause......and lets not forget how Wilson was shafted over the Michael Mols and Dani signings

Im sorry but your either pissed or insane.

Danny Wilson had a 28% win ratio with us, 28%. Think how much better that would have been if he had been able to manage the Di Canio situation as he was clearly vital to us doing well.

Others may have contributed but as a manager nobody has had a more negative effect on this club in my humble opinion.

I wish Di Canio the best of luck at Swindon and if he visits Hillsborough i for one will clap him on his return!

Edited by Brad_owl

Maybe someone can fill in the details on this one but didn't one of our supporters groups (maybe London owls) award him a player of the year trophy in his last season for us, then when asked for its return the following season he said he wasn't giving it back and didn't want the shitty trophy anyway (paraphrasing).

Any player who treats supporters in that way can take a running jump as far as I am concerned, no matter how good they are on the pitch.

Danny Wilson had a 28% win ratio with us, 28%. Think how much better that would have been if he had been able to manage the Di Canio situation as he was clearly vital to us doing well.

Others may have contributed but as a manager nobody has had a more negative effect on this club in my humble opinion.

I wish Di Canio the best of luck at Swindon and if he visits Hillsborough i for one will clap him on his return!

Likewise

I remember one season they brought up the stats for bottom team's points totals at Xmas. Here's a fun one - under Wilson, we had 3 points going into the boxing day game. 3!!!

How the flying fupp any manager gets to Christmas with 3 points on the board and still has a job is beyond me. I remember the MPs ill advised campaign to get Wilson sacked, and clearly DR used that as an opportunity to demonstrate that he was his own man, that he gave his managers chance to get it right, or some other such bullshit.

3 points!

I remember one season they brought up the stats for bottom team's points totals at Xmas. Here's a fun one - under Wilson, we had 3 points going into the boxing day game. 3!!!

How the flying fupp any manager gets to Christmas with 3 points on the board and still has a job is beyond me. I remember the MPs ill advised campaign to get Wilson sacked, and clearly DR used that as an opportunity to demonstrate that he was his own man, that he gave his managers chance to get it right, or some other such bullshit.

3 points!

You're not quite right, but the truth is barely much better. Going into the Boxing Day fixture (we beat Middlesbrough at Hillsborough to spark a short-lived revival of 3 wins in 5 games) our record was :

P17 W1 D3 L13 F15 A42 PTS6

(We'd been bottom since the fourth game of the season, 5 of our meager goals total came in the win over Wimbledon, we conceded at least twice in 13 of those games and failed to score ourselves in 9 of them.)

flipping hell ! How in the name of buggery did Wilson stay in the job?

Edited by DJMortimer

You're not quite right, but the truth is barely much better. Going into the Boxing Day fixture (we beat Middlesbrough at Hillsborough to spark a short-lived revival of 3 wins in 5 games) our record was :

(We'd been bottom since the fourth game of the season, 5 of our meager goals total came in the win over Wimbledon, we conceded at least twice in 13 of those games and failed to score ourselves in 9 of them.)

I think you'll need to ask the chairman of the premier league Sir Dave Richards that one. :dry:

I think you are guilty of your initial accusation sir

Firstly you use stats of Wilson's time in the prem with us to disprove my claim that I think he has one of the best records OUTSIDE of the prem

Secondly anyone who thinks the manager who showed Di Canio the door (assuming you are right on that one) did more damage than the one who showed Waddle and Hirst the door is definately on dodgy ground

Ah - my bad, I'd gone to Soccerbase to scan the results, as in my mind's eye it had been 4 points, and obviously missed the victory against that terrible Wimbledon side that Egil Olsen created, prob because it was listed as MK Dons on there.

How did you bring that up btw, or did you just look up the results and add them up?