Paolo D.

Guest moonraker

People backing him make my blood boil

Most talented Wednesday player ever - yes

But a pathetic individual that poo poo on us!!

End of

I liked him up to a point and forgave his stupid remarks about us not loving him enough...Drew the line at some of his right wing ideals though.

yep just look at all the mad things cantona did at man utd much worse than that little shove ,and that stupid little fall that idiot ref did flip me imagine if he got twatted with my big right hook ,but just look how man utd looked after cantona

Probably nothing as its not real muscle. :rolleyes:

Guest Big Guns

The joke in all this is that i'm not even fat! :laugh:

Oh for further reading,

Help, I have tiny balls!

i no all about the effects of steroids dont need to read that ,but ive got a decent couple of plumbs in my sack dont worry about that :cool: a gypo offered me 100 pound to have a feight yesterday

Guest Big Guns

Thats crazy!

Did you take him up on it?

no ,he comes and collects scrap from my firm ,but hes got a rival so he offered me 100 pound to grab him so he couldnt move so he could smash the flip out of him ,never flip about with gypos

so he was fantastic, did nothing wrong and was a loyal servant to the club was he?

People and their characters are not either exclusively good or exclusively bad. Reducing it to such binary simplicity makes you look rather childish in this instance to be honest with you.

Of course he had his flaws, they're hardly a secret are they? But I think your own prejudices (the ones Dave Richards and Danny Wilson were counting on when they were giving it the 'look at how this man disrespects you and the club' angle when they were in fact pushing their own agenda to get rid of him) are making way too much of them. If Di Canio was really so selfish, disloyal, manipulative and deceitful how was he able to have such a good career with West Ham and be so revered by just about everyone there, including a caretaker manager who had previously said he should never play in this country again?

The common assumption is that Richards was protecting his future interests with the FA and Wilson was too much of a cat to stand up to him, especially given his own insecurities about managing 'The Italians' in the first place. Between the board and the manager I think they decided Di Canio was finished at the club but knew there would be a revolt from the supporters if they did it right away. So they did something that has been done many times and at many clubs (remember 'greedy' Steve MacLean for a start?); they started a campaign to make him look like the bad guy and they knew many fans would react like sheep if they could question his loyalty, respect and commitment to the club. As a bonus, with Di Canio's explosive personality, they knew he would help them in their task with a little gentle 'persuasion' and that's just what happened.

It was a shabby episode and one that has been a significant factor in where we are today. Di Canio was obviously no angel (his politics are uncomfortable for the majority for a start), and maybe would have wanted to leave in due course anyway, but for supporters to so blindly swallow the club spin, dump all the blame on him and not some of the other characters involved both amazes and saddens me, especially given the huge gulf in ability between him and the rest of the squad at that time. And I think it's fair to argue that when he left the stopwatch started ticking down for our second best player (Carbone) too, who was gone less than a year later. Apart from the drop off in talent these two departures cost us, we also lost somewhere in the region of £6m too. And given what has happened since, I find it amazing that anyone can look back and think the club got it right.

I will attempt to eplain myself as eloquently as you DJM, but no doubt fail... :blush:

I dont for one minute think the club handled it well, far from it, and I dislike richards as much as the next wednesdayite. Whilst excepting the wednesday were in the wrong, and, as a rather daft, periochial northern club, probably lacked the ability to deal with fiery continentals such as him - He came out of it smelling of roses whilst we commenced on our well publicised decline. We were the architects of our own demise.

I harbour some small simpering resentment (be a bit rich to call it hate) to di canio and his ilk. I think we we were merely a vehicle to enable him to climb the greasy pole to where he wanted to be...as did carbone, de bilde, hinchcliffe and laterly jeffers. (and many more)

Perhaps i'm old fashioned but even to this day I expect a little more loyalty and committment to the club that pays your wages - whether that be barcelona, wednesday or lincoln

maybe if i'm being honest with myself, maybe my resentment comes from what he represented......the beginning of the decline?

for the record - I dont think his political persuasion matters at all.

I harbour some small simpering resentment (be a bit rich to call it hate) to di canio and his ilk. I think we we were merely a vehicle to enable him to climb the greasy pole to where he wanted to be...as did carbone, de bilde, hinchcliffe and laterly jeffers. (and many more)

Perhaps i'm old fashioned but even to this day I expect a little more loyalty and committment to the club that pays your wages - whether that be barcelona, wednesday or lincoln

maybe if i'm being honest with myself, maybe my resentment comes from what he represented......the beginning of the decline?

Now this principle I am in full agreement with. I'm not persuaded that Di Canio belongs in the same category as the likes of De Bilde and Jeffers (not forgetting Jonk, Blondeau and Ross), but I see where you're coming from on that score at least.

It would have been interesting to see how Di Canio would have responded if we'd decided to do whatever was necessary to welcome him back like Manchester United did with Cantona, but sadly Richards and Wilson had their own ideas about that and we never got the chance. As a consequence both are much reviled and ridiculed for their roles in our downfall. If we'd done that and he'd still maneuvered his exit then I could understand the resentment, but as far as I'm concerned, at least 90% of the blame belongs with the board and the manager. Di Canio's volatility helped them in their aims, as they knew it would, which makes him look worse than he deserves to be remembered in my view.

I agree we should have got him back and done a 'cantona' on him and shown him the love and all that.....

at least then we could have sold him at his full market value ! :biggrin::cool:

Absolutely.

We've shafted ourselves so often in the transfer market with idiocy like that (Benito Carbone, Andy Booth, Dejan Stefanovic, Steve MacLean and Richard Wood among others).

Guest Saturday Owl

In the top 10 best players to pull on the famous blue and white strip. Not as good as Hirsty or Waddle though.

Guest moonraker

Hi Owls fans.

Seems the mad one is to be announced as our manager within the next few days,should be a roller coaster ride if he is the new manager.

Though it seems Hamaan the scouse sounding German is doing his best to get the gig.

Hi Owls fans.

Seems the mad one is to be announced as our manager within the next few days,should be a roller coaster ride if he is the new manager.

Though it seems Hamaan the scouse sounding German is doing his best to get the gig.

I think Di Canio will be a good manager, it's a hunch more than an opinion based on hard facts mind. :biggrin:

He's older and hopefully wiser.