Paolo D.

Guest moonraker

It's sad to see so many people taken in by the simplistic "he doesn't love the club like you do" rhetoric of the time from a chairman and manager who each had their own selfish agendas and both proved disastrous in the long run. Subsequent chairmen have also gone on to exploit those same superficial emotions for their own ends. Wind 'em up and let 'em go.

If Di Canio was such a terrible mercenary who never gave a stuff about anyone but himself and was constantly rubbing people up the wrong way, one has to wonder why he had such a good relationship with Ron Atkinson and why he was so revered at West Ham. And we also have to ask why he has the reputation of training harder and longer than anyone else in the squad. Richards and Wilson knew which buttons to push and unfortunately Di Canio obliged them by reacting predictably. But they already wanted him out anyway so it would have happened one way or the other. The way it unfolded only made their task easier at it smoothed the way for his departure that would otherwise have caused uproar.

Still, at least it all turned out well for the club eh?

:dry:

All mainly conjecture DJ...If Richards and Wilson wanted him gone...drop him...play him in the reserves....the fact is ..Di Canio probably wanted out...which is also conjecture i admit, but to think that Di Canio pushed a ref over because he was manipulated by two of the most stupid people to enter the portals of Hillborough is a little far fetched

Probably because some fans fall for the sap that comes out of the boardroom at the time.

Di Canio was simply left on his own to deal with the FA, media and the powerful World of football pundentry. Wilson and Richards lambasted the man who was a true Genius.

We complain about Di Canio but those are the type on players we dreamt of attracting to Hillsborough. Those types of players have to taken and accepted, Warts and all.

What the fvfck has the board got to do with that fookin' push on Alcock..it was half an inch offa stupid...he got a ban and he was supposed to turn up and play again...he didn't...

Di Canio was simply left on his own to deal with the FA, media and the powerful World of football pundentry. Wilson and Richards lambasted the man who was a true Genius.

I vividly remember Trevor Brooking on Match of the Day saying that Di Canio should never be allowed to play in this country again. About 18 months later he was the manager picking him week in, week out.

Funny eh?

Probably because some fans fall for the sap that comes out of the boardroom at the time.

We complain about Di Canio but those are the type on players we dreamt of attracting to Hillsborough. Those types of players have to taken and accepted, Warts and all.

He was accompanied to the hearing by Wednesday officials and his own solicitor...

Guest Sheff Owl

He's trying to set up a link with AC Milan he already spoke with Adriano Galliani.

Also speaking with Harry Redknapp.

All mainly conjecture DJ...If Richards and Wilson wanted him gone...drop him...play him in the reserves....the fact is ..Di Canio probably wanted out...which is also conjecture i admit, but to think that Di Canio pushed a ref over because he was manipulated by two of the most stupid people to enter the portals of Hillborough is a little far fetched

Who in their right mind would suggest that Di Canio was somehow influenced to push the referee (who got off lightly for his outrageous melodramatic fraud) by the chairman or manager?

:huh:

It was of course a stupid thing to do, but unfortunately that was the character of the man. As far as I'm concerned he more than made up for it with his passion and skills. Sadly, Richards and Wilson had their own insecurities and egos that couldn't look past that and between them they pushed us to the edge of the abyss.

Who in their right mind would suggest that Di Canio was somehow influenced to push the referee (who got off lightly for his outrageous melodramatic fraud) by the chairman or manager?

:huh:

It was of course a stupid thing to do, but unfortunately that was the character of the man. As far as I'm concerned he more than made up for it with his passion and skills. Sadly, Richards and Wilson had their own insecurities and egos that couldn't look past that and between them they pushed us to the edge of the abyss.

In what way did you mean "Richards and Wilson knew which buttons to push and unfortunately Di Canio obliged them by reacting predictably."....

Not in that beeb thing they aired at the time nor when he stated he had lost the fans player of the year award that he didn't give a throw about.

And for all those still peddling the rubbish that Wednesday somehow treated him badly please put up the video of Danny Wilson shoving Alcock over or maybe a baord member.

DiCanio was possibly the most gifted player i ever saw play for us but he pissed it up the wall with his "I'm too ill to travel ..........................now watch me wheelie my scrot round this square" thrower full whack.

Di Canio acted badly and despite the clubs chest thumping "no one is bigger" attitude they effectively screwed themselves over. I don't think it was a conspiracy just the club failing to realise where football was going and that hot headed foreign players were to be the norm and that clubs needed to swallow their pride for the sake of success/finances.

David Hirst brilliant footballer, how many caps for England? 4. Eric Cantona how mpany caps for France? Great players don`t always play loads or games for their country and PDC was a flipping fantastic player.

Hirsty blighted by injury. Superb player yes - injury thwarted any chance of true greatness. Cantona - 45 caps I believe despite falling out with the authorities - plus trophies galore. Di Canio was talented but "great"? Great players do play for their countries and win things.

Guest Sheff Owl

Hirsty blighted by injury. Superb player yes - injury thwarted any chance of true greatness. Cantona - 45 caps I believe despite falling out with the authorities - plus trophies galore. Di Canio was talented but "great"? Great players do play for their countries and win things.

All because of flipping Steve Bould.

In what way did you mean "Richards and Wilson knew which buttons to push and unfortunately Di Canio obliged them by reacting predictably."....

Presumably we're both agreed that Richards had one eye on that office at Lancaster Gate? And it's well documented that Wilson didn't like 'the two Italians'?

I think it's perfectly reasonable (in fact I feared it from the outset - before it actually unfolded) to suggest that chairman and manager saw the opportunity to put the player in his place. Whether they wanted to sell him right away I don't know, but as things progressed I'm pretty sure that became the plan. But they knew the fans would lynch them for selling what was the best player in the squad by a country mile. So, like many chairman have done over the years (remember Steven MacLean for example) they knew that lots of supporters could easily be influenced with nothing more than a few inferences of disloyalty and disrespect of the club and it's fans. Whereas MacLean settled for a quick gesture to the director's box, Di Canio, as they knew he would, sulked and ranted, helping fuel the fire and doing their work for them. After a while, I dare say the player wanted to leave just as much as they wanted him to. How else do you explain the club saying they had no idea where the player was when we were watching him, in no less than his home town, on Sky rumbleing Sports?

Given what subsequently happened I find it absolutely astonishing that anyone can have a shred of support for the self-serving duo that oversaw this. Obviously Di Canio wasn't blameless, especially for the incident that started all of this - an act of petulant idiocy, but I just wish fans would stop behaving like wind-up toys and see the bigger picture.

What the fvfck has the board got to do with that fookin' push on Alcock..it was half an inch offa stupid...he got a ban and he was supposed to turn up and play again...he didn't...

Nothing to do with the push. Everything to do with the management of the situation.

He was accompanied to the hearing by Wednesday officials and his own solicitor...

Not according to his autobiography. He appointed his own because the club failed to contact him, support him, hear his side of the story, etc. The first time the club saw/spoke to him was on the actual day of the hearing. flipping disgrace that the club did not appoint a solicitor.

Edited by M Royds

Presumably we're both agreed that Richards had one eye on that office at Lancaster Gate? And it's well documented that Wilson didn't like 'the two Italians'?

I think it's perfectly reasonable (in fact I feared it from the outset - before it actually unfolded) to suggest that chairman and manager saw the opportunity to put the player in his place. Whether they wanted to sell him right away I don't know, but as things progressed I'm pretty sure that became the plan. But they knew the fans would lynch them for selling what was the best player in the squad by a country mile. So, like many chairman have done over the years (remember Steven MacLean for example) they knew that lots of supporters could easily be influenced with nothing more than a few inferences of disloyalty and disrespect of the club and it's fans. Whereas MacLean settled for a quick gesture to the director's box, Di Canio, as they knew he would, sulked and ranted, helping fuel the fire and doing their work for them. After a while, I dare say the player wanted to leave just as much as they wanted him to. How else do you explain the club saying they had no idea where the player was when we were watching him, in no less than his home town, on Sky rumbleing Sports?

Given what subsequently happened I find it absolutely astonishing that anyone can have a shred of support for the self-serving duo that oversaw this. Obviously Di Canio wasn't blameless, especially for the incident that started all of this - an act of petulant idiocy, but I just wish fans would stop behaving like wind-up toys and see the bigger picture.

Holding Di Canio responsible for that piece of idiocy does not mean you are supporting Wilson nor Richards, both will fall by their own poor standards...what i'm saying is ...while i will admit Di Canio was a great player one of the most skillful ive ever seen in the shirt...he let us down by promising to come back and renaging. He let the fans down, Wilson and Richards susequently helped the whole club down the toilet.

Being a critic of one does not make me a supporter of the other two

Guest moonraker

Swindon 8/1 to win lge 2 next season............................7/2 for promotion.

The 7/2 looks juicy if you like a good punt.

One of Swindon's sponsors has dumped 'em because Paolo's a Mussolini fan. :happy:

Daily mail

lack of support???from daily hail readers???...

i'll bet a fair % of their readers would support his beliefs...we're it not for the fascist/nazi salute...

lobbers, all wind and wee wee...

dicanio maybe a winner in management, or he may be a disaster, time will tell...

i doubt which he is, will not depend on whether or not he's a fascist...

i imagine it might be colourful...and very few dull moments...

Holding Di Canio responsible for that piece of idiocy does not mean you are supporting Wilson nor Richards, both will fall by their own poor standards...what i'm saying is ...while i will admit Di Canio was a great player one of the most skillful ive ever seen in the shirt...he let us down by promising to come back and renaging. He let the fans down, Wilson and Richards susequently helped the whole club down the toilet.

Being a critic of one does not make me a supporter of the other two

Spot on