Paolo D.

Guest moonraker

I think you are guilty of your initial accusation sir

Firstly you use stats of Wilson's time in the prem with us to disprove my claim that I think he has one of the best records OUTSIDE of the prem

Secondly anyone who thinks the manager who showed Di Canio the door (assuming you are right on that one) did more damage than the one who showed Waddle and Hirst the door is definately on dodgy ground

Firstly i was using my stats to actually prove how good a manager Wilson was at this club. Best records outside the Prem, without even googling that i can tell you for a cast iron fact HE HAS NOT!

Secondly Wilson might not have had his foot up Di Canios ass but he was definitely swinging it!

Di Canio - Wednesday Legend.

People and their characters are not either exclusively good or exclusively bad. Reducing it to such binary simplicity makes you look rather childish in this instance to be honest with you.

Of course he had his flaws, they're hardly a secret are they? But I think your own prejudices (the ones Dave Richards and Danny Wilson were counting on when they were giving it the 'look at how this man disrespects you and the club' angle when they were in fact pushing their own agenda to get rid of him) are making way too much of them. If Di Canio was really so selfish, disloyal, manipulative and deceitful how was he able to have such a good career with West Ham and be so revered by just about everyone there, including a caretaker manager who had previously said he should never play in this country again?

The common assumption is that Richards was protecting his future interests with the FA and Wilson was too much of a cat to stand up to him, especially given his own insecurities about managing 'The Italians' in the first place. Between the board and the manager I think they decided Di Canio was finished at the club but knew there would be a revolt from the supporters if they did it right away. So they did something that has been done many times and at many clubs (remember 'greedy' Steve MacLean for a start?); they started a campaign to make him look like the bad guy and they knew many fans would react like sheep if they could question his loyalty, respect and commitment to the club. As a bonus, with Di Canio's explosive personality, they knew he would help them in their task with a little gentle 'persuasion' and that's just what happened.

It was a shabby episode and one that has been a significant factor in where we are today. Di Canio was obviously no angel (his politics are uncomfortable for the majority for a start), and maybe would have wanted to leave in due course anyway, but for supporters to so blindly swallow the club spin, dump all the blame on him and not some of the other characters involved both amazes and saddens me, especially given the huge gulf in ability between him and the rest of the squad at that time. And I think it's fair to argue that when he left the stopwatch started ticking down for our second best player (Carbone) too, who was gone less than a year later. Apart from the drop off in talent these two departures cost us, we also lost somewhere in the region of £6m too. And given what has happened since, I find it amazing that anyone can look back and think the club got it right.

To put all the blame on the club is also a misconception DJ...Di Canio pushed a referee over..it was stupid,

If you are going to put blame on the clubs handling of that affair, and point to it as a a "Significant" factor as to where we are today...does Di Canio get no blame whatsoever by overstepping a mark no footballer should?

The club got it wrong...but they should not have been put in that position, would not have been put in that position, had Di Canio not resorted to that particular piece of idiocy.

If any particular institution is at fault, its the F.A themselves...a player who lays hand on a referee should be banned from English football sine die

Around the same time, didn't David Batty shove a referee with slightly better balance, and get away with about a 2 game ban?

My link

Referee Paul Alcock's untimely stumble to the ground courtesy of Paolo Di Canio's push on Saturday comes as officials are increasingly targeted for abuse and assaults.The Italian's reaction to being sent off in Sheffield Wednesday's game against champions Arsenal at Hillsborough triggered wild debate among fans about the winger's future - and how to protect the men in the middle.

It was not the first time Mr Alcock had been attacked during a match.

Earlier in his career Frank Sinclair was banned for nine games when he hit the shopping centre manager in the head while playing for West Bromwich Albion.

But Premiership managers are ever more willing to criticise referees. Liverpool's Roy Evans last week said they were "ruining the game". Now players seem to be taking matters further.

Don't touch

Several have ignored the Football Association rules that state: "Players must never touch the referee before, during or after a match."

In May Newcastle's David Batty pushed referee David Elleray after being sent off against Blackburn. The FA found him guilty of misconduct and banned him for the first six games of this season.

In 1997 Arsenal's French World Cup midfielder Emmanuel Petit was banned for three games for pushing referee Paul Durkin.

In 1996, Birmingham City defender Gary Poole was suspended for four matches for physically attacking referee Richard Poulain.These incidents have also come amid concern that officials are not always safe from furious fans.

In February linesman Edward Martin was knocked unconscious by a Sheffield United supporter at Portsmouth. It followed at least six other attacks on league officials in the 1990s.

Global problem

But England's problem seems tame compared with other incidents around the world.

Vietnamese international Chu Van Mui was banned for life for attacking a referee in the country's cup final.

The referee was punched, kicked and chased around the stadium by the player's team-mates.

A club in Israel was banned for two seasons when players attacked a referee in a match earlier this year.

Asher Cohen hid under a table in the dressing room. But he was found and ended up in hospital with a broken nose.

Magic attack

Officials in other sports have also seen their job become more dangerous.

In rugby union's English showpiece Pilkington Cup final in 1996, Leicester flanker Neil Back pushed referee Steve Lander to the ground. He received a six-month ban.

In NBA basketball even superstar Magic Johnson has been ejected from a match for making contact with an official.

However it is perhaps amateur leagues that have shown the biggest rise in violent attacks. In UK Sunday League football such incidents are common.

One player drove a van at the ref after he was sent off while Nottingham official Gary Biddulph suffered a fractured skull when he was attacked in a charity match.

But some officials have been quick to get their own back. In 1997 linesman Neil Bassford attacked two players with his flag. Both needed stitches to the head.

Guest Sheff Owl

The funniest thing with all that Alcock business is when Nigel winterburn poo poo himself when Di Canio went towards him. :laugh:

Guest moonraker

The funniest thing with all that Alcock business is when Nigel winterburn poo poo himself when Di Canio went towards him. :laugh:

Remember that well :biggrin:

Good reading this thread and good how we all see the game different.

Anyway it will be interesting to say the least,will he get inspiration on a wet Tuesday in Accrington :ohmy: ...we will wait and see.

Hopefully the likes of JPM will stay and thrive now he has arrived.

All the best to you all.

Guest moonraker

Thanks.

Funny how the good in the modern player is overlooked at times, for all his faults this showed class.

When wednesday beat everton 3-1 away I think that was my 3rd away match i was about 7 years old, we had 10 men and were 2-1 up. he took 4 players on including the keeper, then he pulled his tazmanian devil shirt out. That still to this day is one of the best goals ive seen as a wednesday fan

In May Newcastle's David Batty pushed referee David Elleray after being sent off against Blackburn. The FA found him guilty of misconduct and banned him for the first six games of this season.

That's actually misleading - 5 of those banned 6 games were for accumulating yellow and red cards - they tacked an extra game on the end for shoving Ellery

I strongly believe we should have used that as precedent and said we expected PDC to be treated similarly - not weasle Wilson's "omg it was like the worst thing in the history of the world ever and we strongly support the FA's bid to have him executed by firing squad"

Just a shame Mandaric wasn't chairman during the 99-00 season. Wilson would have been gone by October. Awful manager whose tenure we are yet to recover from.

small boy (cheap small boy) set to do a man's job...out of his depth with no support...i work with someone who is a relation of eric whinstanleys, and he said at the time wilson had contacted whinstanley and said "will you join me here, i don't know who i can trust, and who i can't"...

Just a shame Mandaric wasn't chairman during the 99-00 season. Wilson would have been gone by October. Awful manager whose tenure we are yet to recover from.

Fully correct. I mentioned it in another thread a while back, I still believe if we didnt appoint Wilson then this last decade would of been very different.

Guest OwlertonG

i wish him good luck... shame swindon are in league 2

we thought we were a club on the slippy sloap

i remember swindon winning playoffs and being in prem de la prem and Jan Age Fjortoft