Owls to withdraw reserve team

http://www.swfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10304~2347872,00.html

Bit of a sad one this.

I can fully understand the reasoning, but our reserve team has been playing league football for longer than the first team (since 1891), so a fine tradition will be lost.

It's a shame that the final reserve game ever will be a 0-4 defeat on Barnsley's academy ground, when at one time second string matches would fetch upto 20,000 people.

RIP reserves!

I agree it is a bit sad. My first experiences of Hillsborough were when my dad used to take me to watch the reserves and so I'll always have fond memories of these matches.

That said though, over the last 20 years the game has moved on at an increased pace whilst Wednesdauy have stood still and we need to move on as well.

this is a bad move imo. the reserves are there to get players who cant get a game or who are injured match fit and for the scouts to get out and see some youngsters from other clubs. now we have a firm base with mandaric. i thought we may get a scouting system in place

Forget about sad, I think this will be a good move.

I love that both MM and GM seem to be leaving no stone unturned with regards to dragging this club up to speed with the rest of the footballing world.

Maybe these behind closed doors games will also see more fringe players used as the youth team presumably have their own league?

Onward and upward.

Guest wincobankowl

this is a bad move imo. the reserves are there to get players who cant get a game or who are injured match fit and for the scouts to get out and see some youngsters from other clubs. now we have a firm base with mandaric. i thought we may get a scouting system in place

In reality it doesnt actually change that much.

The players not in first team action will still play regular matches, just not in a formal league structure.

With regards to scouting, nowadays its more about developing contacts rather than watching matches to 'find' players.

http://www.swfc.co.uk/page/News/0,,10304~2347872,00.html

Bit of a sad one this.

I can fully understand the reasoning, but our reserve team has been playing league football for longer than the first team (since 1891), so a fine tradition will be lost.

It's a shame that the final reserve game ever will be a 0-4 defeat on Barnsley's academy ground, when at one time second string matches would fetch upto 20,000 people.

RIP reserves!

I agree Kivo. When I was at school and could not afford to go every week,I used to go down to the ground on my bike,from "the cross" and at half time they would

let you in free,got to see all the players,as they would rotate them regulaly and a good crowd would be there. Happy days. lol

Another move in the right direction, shows difficult decisions will be made. Also points to a smaller squad next year with maybe a nod to the players not currently playing that to get football of any sort you need to go elsewhere permanently

At least we dont need to read about them being hammered any more, I can barely remember any good results for them.

If the first teamers were interesting in playing reserve football we'd have kept them no doubt but that doesnt appear to be the case, thats the sad thing as SWFC's hand has been forced.

I remember watching players like Leroy Chambers tear up the reserve league and Lance Key looking like a demon in the net .......they both went far after that !

The reserves used to be a good way of getting some decent game time , I remember in 1993 players who played a few first team games like Simon Stewart, Mike Williams , Julian Watts , Adem Poric , Graham Hyde , Ryan Jones etc all came from our reserves and they were able to do a job becuase the standard of reserve games was better then......they completey turned over Southampton before the Cup Final games with CBW getting a hat trick if my memory serves right !

Also saw Goce Sedloski play his trial game in the reserves (we got in free becuase he didn`t yet have his work permit so they couldn`t charge people to watch him play) , Emerson Thome may have also played ?

RIP reserves

Another move in the right direction, shows difficult decisions will be made. Also points to a smaller squad next year with maybe a nod to the players not currently playing that to get football of any sort you need to go elsewhere permanently

^^^ This is what I was thinking as well. Well spotted!!!! ^^^^

Very smart move indeed by the club. Makes everyone try harder to get into the first team and then stay there as it's the only game. Those not featuring will soon get fed up of just training. Well done GM + MM.

I'm very sad at this but times change I suppose. Years ago some proffessionals spent their entire career playing for the reserves with just an occasional first team game. It also used to be an opportunity for the less well off and children to see their team in some form. In my youth I saw many famous players in theor clubs reserves (or stiffs, as they used to call them)...Albert Johanssen, Terry Cooper, Noel cantwell, Harry gregg, Ronnie Clayton, Ron Flowers, Bill Curry, Bill Foulke, Ray Pointer (who'd just got a cap for England).. Recently I always enjoyed the reserves "derby" when there would be a fair crowd. Afew seasons ago we won the Pontins cup at Hillsborough (v Tranmere) in front of about 1200.