Are we hated - If so why ?

1 hour ago, pinowl said:

On our way ... on our way to the Premier League were on our way!!!!!! Am tellin all the local teams to go f*** ... we are the best in South Yorkshire ... they know it and we know it   The bright lights of the Premier League are a' coming folks... WAWAW

South Yorkshire, hmm... I think we should be setting our sights a little higher..

We need to be the best North Eastern team (currenly the bar codes unfortunately) and then strive to be the Northern's no.1 !

We need to re set the balance and get us back above the scousers and the manc's, - feckin' Leeds et al are foook all...

C'mon WEDNESDAY !

2 minutes ago, parkfieldowl14 said:

Given the abuse we got from Toytown fans even after some of us put our own money into their bucket,i'd tell them Thanks but no Thanks.

Have to say, I put money into Toytowns bucket and their fans reactions lately have told me I won't be doing that again...

As for Chessy I have different feelings, they went with someone they were warned not to....

Not sure if I feel sorry for them or a little bit responsible. lol

Nah, feck it, have they got any decent players...

I don't get the hatred in football. There are some clubs I'm not fond of but that's mostly because of the actions of a select few fans, players, staff or owners. It's not often a whole club from top to bottom is hate worthy. 

There's more important things to worry about. It's a game, albeit a passionate and emotive one, but for those that hate because of football... I think some perspective is needed in all honesty. 

Ignoring Sheffield United as there's always been rivalry, It's a fact that we're the biggest/ most successful locally. Back when we were in the Prem there was just friendly banter. As we were crippled with debt and sliding down the leagues this coincided with Toytown/ Chezzie/ Donny / Dingles etc rising from the lower leagues and we met in the middle. It was then their time to get one over on us as we had rarely met on an even footing. They seemed to be more bitter and loved it that we were fecked financially. They're even worse now we've got a bit of cash because we are the stereotypical sleeping giant. With the right investment we can be a force and they don't like it.

Brighton/ Huddersfield etc are typical of the local clubs, historically crappy 4th division sides that are currently riding their highest in history.

When I speak to fans of other clubs that are generally considered top tier teams I don't get any bitterness from em at all. Quite a lot want us to be back in the big time as that is where they see us.

I don't hate any clubs, but if they give it they can have it back. 

Outside of local clubs, then very few probably hate us.

The Brighton and Charlton dislike probably stems from the competition in the L1 promotion year and I find it hilarious as the Massive gag wound them up completely when it was primarily intended to wind the pigs up. Also hilarious that they thought we were arrogant whilst being completely arrogant themselves. Regardless I am sure those people are in a minority as the amount of people using message boards is largely a minority of the whole fanbase.

Real people I meet don't seem to hate us but I don't live in South Yorkshire any more. Most people seem to have more of a disliking of the grunters than us, mainly indifferent to other Yorks clubs and dislike Leeds . That's the impression I get. Not very scientific.

I am not on Twitter very much so don't notice prevailing opinions on there. Other places I don't notice much strong opinion either way

Interesting that the OP has said this.  My experience having lived in various places near Sheffield and all the way to London is that all the local small teams despise us.  They say its because of our arrogance, I think its just because we're the most historically successful club in the area and therefore dominate the local media etc.

But outside of that region I've always found that fans of other clubs all hate Sheff Utd (mainly from Warnock onwards) but have a lot of respect for us for always bringing loads of fans with us and generally having gone through the ringer in the last ten years.  

I wouldn't say we're generally hated at all.  Except of course for the band.  Everyone hates the band.  And they are right to.

Think some fans of other local clubs seem to spend time more finding things to dislike about us then support there own sides, the ones on football heaven do anyway.

Outside of that I don't think people are that bothered about Wednesday. Think older fans respect us as being a traditionally big club but majority of the younger ones brought up on Premier League would probably struggle to know much about us.

My pig / Toytown/ chezzy mates (don't know any dingles) have been going on about FF all season. Said he was going to leave and should never wear the shirt again etc.

I said I'm an Owl, obviously I wasn't happy what went on but I think he was badly advised, he apologised and I accepted it. DC & CC said he was going nowhere and I was happy with it, I even had bets with those that were brave enough.

They were desperate for him to leave, it would've made their season.

It appears their 1st instinct is to have a pop at us than support their own team.

A few years back, a pig mate had one of those chav United v Wednesday stickers in his car. He was reyt chuffed until I said, if you're in the car behind the Wednesday shirt is more prominent and you look like like an Owl, besides which there is no way I would have a pig badge in my car despite what it depicted. 

He hasn't got it in anymore

My experience is that outside South Yorkshire we are well liked. I constantly hear comments , Big club, traditional ground, great fans, deserve to be back in the Prem. In South Yorkshire the hatred is understandable and can be explained in one word "jealousy". Having said that the hatred seems to have spread to Charlton and Brighton fans due to on line social stirrings. 

I've never understood this obsession some fans seem to have about hating other teams. Proper local rivalries like us and the Blunts make obvious sense but some like Brighton/Palace and Norwich/Ipswich are just ridiculous. They're bloody miles apart ffs. I'm more concerned with Wednesday than other teams tbh.

I must have missed why Charlton fans hate us, especially as none of the Charlton fans I know feel that way. How/when did this "rivalry" come about?

I'm fairly indifferent towards Charlton, although I don't like their owners and feel sorry that their fans are having to endure such incompetence from the club hierarchy (don't feel the same about Hull though despite the parallels... I'm still annoyed about all those empty seats at Wembley!).