Have we overachieved this season?

22 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Against the top 15 sides in the league this season we’ve won 3 games out of 28. Obviously that stat isn’t helped in that 10 of those games were under Xisco but even under Röhl we’ve still only won 3 out of 18 against the top 15.

But against the rest of the bottom 9 we’ve now won 10 games out of 16.

We’ve clearly struggled to beat top half sides this season but what we have done very well is beat the teams that are down there with us.

We’ve now doubled Rotherham, QPR and Blackburn. That’s a massive 18 points we’ve picked up from those 3 clubs

That to me suggests we'd walk league 1 next season if we went down and if we stay up even with a modest budget we would finish midtable. DRs ability to out coach similar level teams/managers has been proven.

I think thays why this season feels even more important. If DC can somehow stay quiet, back Danny as much as he can (mid table budget) and just run the club averagely then we have a chance to progress here. Big if though 

It may have already been mentioned, but at the start of the season a report said that our squad had the oldest average age,  was the cheapest to assemble and it had the least value.   Throw into the mix the worst manager in our history managing pre-season, the summer transfer window and the opening 10 league games.    

I would say staying up would be an overachievement.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

If we do stay up I think Chansiri has got out of jail really.
The feel good factor of a great escape will cloud and mask his poor running of the club.

Just a bit. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, WimJunk said:

I think we have. How many of our squad are getting in other Championship sides? I can't think of many.

I think we have better squads than Huddersfield and Rotherham, but I'm struggling after that.

Certainly in the forward areas, we aren't really set up for the Championship.

Danny has got most of them playing way above what you would expect or get from a lot of these players

Discussion to be had when the season is actually over.

Though pretty much every league predictions at start of the season had us to finish in bottom 3 - hopefully all wrong!

The fact we've taken this to the last game of the season is staggering considering where we were early on.

Full credit to Danny, coaching staff and, yes, the players because they will have also had to pull themselves together and get on with the task at hand.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, briggowl said:

The wage budget is 9th to 11th highest in league (depending on which site you land on)!

This is absolutely shocking and just shows how wasteful we've been.

You can turn it into a positive though. Between some of these wasteful loans going back and some decent contracts expiring (and clearly not being renewed) off our own books, there should be room to work with next year at least in terms of wages.

It's time to learn the lesson though. To be paying out the 9-11th highest wages in the Championship on a squad this old and unbalanced (and poor?), with 19 out of contract, and as wasteful on loans as we have been.. now is the time to change it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

This is absolutely shocking and just shows how wasteful we've been.

You can turn it into a positive though. Between some of these wasteful loans going back and some decent contracts expiring (and clearly not being renewed) off our own books, there should be room to work with next year at least in terms of wages.

It's time to learn the lesson though. To be paying out the 9-11th highest wages in the Championship on a squad this old and unbalanced (and poor?), with 19 out of contract, and as wasteful on loans as we have been.. now is the time to change it.

No offence to Lee Gregory, but I said to my mate that he wouldn't play this season much. I've no idea if he had his extension triggered, but if not, it was just a waste of a wage.

Same with Hendrick, it isn't rocket science to see his best days are probably behind him.

5 hours ago, briggowl said:

The wage budget is 9th to 11th highest in league (depending on which site you land on)! In that respect we’ve horrendously underachieved 

The flip side of that is we’ve overachieved and have paid our players far too highly for being not good enough. I’d go with the crazy contracts and shockingly poor negotiations option to be honest!!! 

I don't believe that for a second, the figures on those sites are pure speculation. I don't know what formula they use but it's way off. They have Sunderland very low on the list, a club who's sacked two managers this season for not being in the top 6. No way we are paying more than them. Other than Bannan and Windass who else in the squad could you confidently say are on above average Championship wages? 

The FA published those agent fees last week, and I'd say they're a much better guide, I don't see how those could be so low and our wages so high. 

• Like 1

SAFC fan here, 

There are thousands of us up here who want you to stay in the Championship for genuine reasons. You are a proper club, with real supporters who speak from the heart, we aren't too far removed or different. Working class roots, us mackems/pitmatic lot were from  mining families, you guys steelworkers and a few miners as well. No prawn sandwiches to be seen. We are doing really badly due to the inept decision to sign only unproven youth, so it's a given that you'll take at least a point from us, a point we'll gladly surrender. I hope you have a great time at the SoL at the weekend. Respect. 

• Like 3

On 23/04/2024 at 08:47, WimJunk said:

I think we have. How many of our squad are getting in other Championship sides? I can't think of many.

I think we have better squads than Huddersfield and Rotherham, but I'm struggling after that.

The lack of goals over the season has been woeful. Except last 2 games

No such thing as over achieving. The very fact we are where we are means it was achievable. 
Probably fairer to recognise that Röhl has done really well with the resources at his disposal but the results and performances against the likes of Ipswich, Udders and Boro show we could’ve done even better. This makes next season a mouthwatering prospect. 

8 minutes ago, The Fitter said:

SAFC fan here, 

There are thousands of us up here who want you to stay in the Championship for genuine reasons. You are a proper club, with real supporters who speak from the heart, we aren't too far removed or different. Working class roots, us mackems/pitmatic lot were from  mining families, you guys steelworkers and a few miners as well. No prawn sandwiches to be seen. We are doing really badly due to the inept decision to sign only unproven youth, so it's a given that you'll take at least a point from us, a point we'll gladly surrender. I hope you have a great time at the SoL at the weekend. Respect. 

Please let your players know they have to surrender a point please mate 😉😁

1 minute ago, Lawrie’s Left Peg said:

No such thing as over achieving. The very fact we are where we are means it was achievable. 
Probably fairer to recognise that Röhl has done really well with the resources at his disposal but the results and performances against the likes of Ipswich, Udders and Boro show we could’ve done even better. This makes next season a mouthwatering prospect. 

“Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard.”

On 23/04/2024 at 08:47, WimJunk said:

No