Have we overachieved this season?

I think we have. How many of our squad are getting in other Championship sides? I can't think of many.

I think we have better squads than Huddersfield and Rotherham, but I'm struggling after that.

Certainly in the forward areas, we aren't really set up for the Championship.

• Like 7

9 minutes ago, WimJunk said:

I think we have. How many of our squad are getting in other Championship sides? I can't think of many.

I think we have better squads than Huddersfield and Rotherham, but I'm struggling after that.

Certainly in the forward areas, we aren't really set up for the Championship.

I think most of the sides in the bottom half of the table are pretty poor to be honest - not much between them. You stick the lad who scored against us at the weekend in our squad and I think we would be comfortably mid-table by now.

• Like 5

I think we have some good individual players who can change a game. The real problem area is the middle of the park because we don't have any other championship standard CM's after Bannan and Vaulks. I think Danny will be targeting that area in the close season.

Edited by Castleford Owl
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, owlandished said:

Röhl has made us more than the sum of our parts.

Absolutely he has. He’s done the best that he could do with the crap he’d been given. I grant you that one or two have potential, such as Musaba, Gasama. Pol could well turn into a decent player at this level given it’s his 1st year in English football, ditto Delgado. He can’t be that poor, he’s in the Chilli side. But, apart from a couple of Wiley old players that you need, Palmer, Patto Johnson Baz he ain’t got a lot to work with. Vital we keep him.

• Like 5

I think we have some players who are developing and could be really good for us next year, musaba (most goals and assists), Gassama and Cademateri. 

I think we have some good players to build around, Pol, vaulks, Bannan, Marv and maybe a couple more

the are plenty that need to move on and that should give us the room to bring a few in.

hope we can stay up and sign Ugbo and Poveda. With a few additions we should be at least 10 points better off next season (as long as we stay up and keep DR)

• Like 4

The last 2 seasons we’ve been promoted from League 1, we’ve done it in the main with good - very good League 1 players.

This gives you a problem when you play in the championship particularly in that first season more so if you don’t invest heavily in the squad which we didn’t do in 2012/13 and we haven’t do so in this.

Our  start to this season has been the worst both in our own and championship history. To have a chance of staying up now is remarkable.

In summary our squad is a Bottom 6 Championship/Top 6 League 1 in terms of quality. Due to the skills of our manager and his coaching team in terms of tactical, analytical and man-management, they’ve had us performing like a side that would finish anywhere in this league between 10th-15th. 

IMO the Chairman backs this manager properly he’ll own a Premier League teams before long but we need to see the job through this season first.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

13 minutes ago, Sensible Soccer said:

I think we have some players who are developing and could be really good for us next year, musaba (most goals and assists), Gassama and Cademateri. 

I think we have some good players to build around, Pol, vaulks, Bannan, Marv and maybe a couple more

the are plenty that need to move on and that should give us the room to bring a few in.

hope we can stay up and sign Ugbo and Poveda. With a few additions we should be at least 10 points better off next season (as long as we stay up and keep DR)

If Danny stays, we stay up, and Danny gets the freedom to bring in his own players (wouldn't need a great deal of transfer money - we've a stack of wages ready to go off the books in the summer) then I think we are in a good place.

Like you, I'd keep Bannan (but a Bannan replacement is due soon enough - even if it's an understudy to cover him when he's needing a rest), Vaulks, Pol, Marv - and probably add Palmer and Iorfa to that list. Despite their efforts under Danny, there are a fair few who we need to move on - some under contract too. If we can get rid of £50/75k a week off the wage bill and allow Danny to use that, I think top 8 is achievable.

I'd hold caution of Poveda - as much as I like him. Someone posted his stats re injuries last week and they made Darren Anderton seem a fit professional. For the right offer, I'd have him in the squad perhaps.

• Like 2

The squad is weak, so obviously still lacking in many areas and we are now probably where we would have been had we not conceded the first 10 games. 

To be in the position we are now, with this squad and having conceded the first 10 games is a monumental overachievement.

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, owlandished said:

Röhl has made us more than the sum of our parts.

That is the definition of a team.

If you have 11 good players who don't play for each other you won't get very far. 11 average players who work their socks off for each other are more effective than their individual parts

• Like 2

On the one hand, we finished last season on 96 points. Of the League One teams who achieved a similar feat of over 2 points per game across an entire season in the past 12 years: none were immediately relegated; 50% achieved a top half finish; and the average final Championship position was around 12th-13th.

So in that respect, we probably should have done a lot better than we have.

But of course, the rest of those clubs probably didn't lose their promotion-winning manager, replace him with the worst manager in their club's history, and fail to address key areas of weakness within their squads upon promotion.

I look at our squad and see a lower-end Championship / top-end League One squad. Give them to a defeatist, passive manager like Muñoz, and they'll look dreadful; give them to a brave, intelligent manager like Röhl, and they've shown they're capable of maintaining mid-table form over an extended period.

Chansiri made such a mess of last summer that it's simply incredible that Röhl has got us in with a decent shout of staying up with two games to go.

If we stay up and give him even a half-decent amount of backing in the summer, I really think we could surprise a few people next season.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

The squad is not suitable for the  Championship. To survive will be an over achievement. 

It is clear we have numerous players who find it difficult to perform at intensity required in Championship twice in a week. Hence if we do survive major turnover in personnel is required if we are to play well at this level. If Röhl is managing us next year you feel he will  have learned greatly from this season and will know the quality of player required. In addition the chap we now have in charge of recruitment seems improvement on what went on before and you are certain we will not end up with high earning wasters on loan. The youth set up has been given a boost and you have to think more quality individuals will opt to join us than in the past as we are now prepared to give them a chance. In addition the standard of coaches we have and reputation of developing and handling young players is much better. 
To move forward investment is required and if this is forthcoming the future is bright. If we do not invest and build on the coaching team what has been done in last two thirds of season you feel will unravel. If DC des not have funds available he needs to move on as he will just get deeper in debt and he is unlikely to pull another rabbit out of the hat as happened this year with the appointment of Röhl.

Think all fans know it has been a cliff hanger of a season but realise this summer will be key to future of Wednesday.

• Like 1

Against the top 15 sides in the league this season we’ve won 3 games out of 28. Obviously that stat isn’t helped in that 10 of those games were under Xisco but even under Röhl we’ve still only won 3 out of 18 against the top 15.

But against the rest of the bottom 9 we’ve now won 10 games out of 16.

We’ve clearly struggled to beat top half sides this season but what we have done very well is beat the teams that are down there with us.

We’ve now doubled Rotherham, QPR and Blackburn. That’s a massive 18 points we’ve picked up from those 3 clubs

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, pat blondeau said:

Against the top 15 sides in the league this season we’ve won 3 games out of 28. Obviously that stat isn’t helped in that 10 of those games were under Xisco but even under Röhl we’ve still only won 3 out of 18 against the top 15.

Not great for me to hear this prior to playing West Brom (5th) and Sunderland (13th)

I knew the record wasn't great but didn't realise it was this poor 🤮

6 minutes ago, The Chief said:

Not great for me to hear this prior to playing West Brom (5th) and Sunderland (13th)

I knew the record wasn't great but didn't realise it was this poor 🤮

True but these two last games could break that run.

To beat West Brom we need to do something we haven’t achieved so far this season and beat a side in the top 6. But if we are going to do it what better way to do it than in front of a full house at Hillsborough.

And Sunderland’s recent form is like a bottom 9 team. I think both games are winnable