Darren Moore

10 hours ago, Cockers said:

Amazing that it’s highly likely the three clubs he’s managed inside the last 12 months will be relegated. 

Wow he leaves and they get relegated, must be good.

lol

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, torryowl said:

We lost 6 of 46 and got promoted  .. how the feck can you do that with a manager who "falls apart" when the pressure is on  ..  

Correct. And lets not forget the unbeaten run, 96 points and the famous FA Cup victory. If anyone was losing their heads it was some of our fans. DM kept his head when we really needed him to. I don't think even his biggest fans would claim he is a tactical genius or a Champions League level manager in the making, but he has other qualities and he got us promoted. Poor managers don't get teams promoted

34 minutes ago, torryowl said:

..  and if you think Barnsley dominated us you watched a different game than me 

Again, correct. Credit to Barnsley, they gave it a real go when they went down to 10, but despite that they barely laid a finger on us. There was the shot that looped of one of theirs and hit the post, and the one on one with Dawson that they fluffed, but I really don't remember them creating much else. Their keeper, on the other hand, had to pull of several top drawer saves to keep us out.

• Like 7

1 hour ago, owlsdreamer said:

The most surprising thing is that anybody is surprised.

Is not and never was a good manager.

A lot of his manager stats don’t tell the true story.

He did a job for us but the way we got promoted (style) meant we weren't ready for championship.

Didn't like way we played under him and was obvious in game management issues but he got us up in a memorable promotion.

His strength is he is well liked weakness a bit of tactical nouse and is to passive rather than proactive.

Always think a good manager gets 190% out of the players available, a top manager gets a side that's better than sum of it's parts (see Ipswich at present) Moore is steady, probably gets 80-90% out of his squad but is well liked which helps compensate somewhat.

Basically a league one/two manager that will make a living in those leagues but isn't at that next level. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, wellbeaten-the-owl said:

He did a job for us but the way we got promoted (style) meant we weren't ready for championship.

Didn't like way we played under him and was obvious in game management issues but he got us up in a memorable promotion.

His strength is he is well liked weakness a bit of tactical nouse and is to passive rather than proactive.

Always think a good manager gets 190% out of the players available, a top manager gets a side that's better than sum of it's parts (see Ipswich at present) Moore is steady, probably gets 80-90% out of his squad but is well liked which helps compensate somewhat.

Basically a league one/two manager that will make a living in those leagues but isn't at that next level. 

The Ipswich manager looks to be very good, but he wouldn't have been able to do well here, I'm sure. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ThruThinAndThinner said:

Say what you like about DM but if he'd still been with us for the first 10 games of the season, we probably wouldn't have set this league on fire but nailed-on we'd have chalked up more than 2 points from 30, and we wouldn't be in the pickle we're in now.

Agree.  He earned the right to start the season and being allowed to strengthen his squad ready for Championship.  Don't think he's a good enough manager/communicator, bourne out by whats happened in his last two roles and very likely it would have ended in tears by Christmas, but we'd still have been better of than under Xisco both in terms of points and squad.  Doubt we'd have got Röhl in without the job being available in the summer so potentially a sliding door moment as be surprised if we'd have appointed anyone of else of with his potential.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, quinnssweetshop said:

Plenty of Darren Moore haters on here. 

Manager when we got promoted. Record breaking run. 

I'm just trying to think who else managed that?  Errrrrm. 

Nobody. 

Facts speak for themselves. Yet plenty on here piling on the negatives.

Howard Wilkinson, promotion and a record breaking unbeaten run from the start of a season (including games against Chelsea and Newcastle, not Accrington and Morecambe!)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, alanharper said:

Howard Wilkinson, promotion and a record breaking unbeaten run from the start of a season (including games against Chelsea and Newcastle, not Accrington and Morecambe!)

Very true but that '83-'84 season we bottled the old 2nd division title, somehow managing to finish second after being top of the table virtually all season. So it was a bitter-sweet finish that year as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, Almat said:

Although it pains me to say it, one of the few decisions Chancer got right in his time here. But in true Chancer's style he then fizzed it up by employing Xisco 😵

You can’t come on here saying Chansiri got something right, it just won’t do.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Talk about damning DM with faint praise - he'd have done better than Xisco in the first 10 games. 

33 minutes ago, Lincs Owl said:

Just wish Moore had stopped for the first 10 games of the season.  Pretty sure we'd be safe from relegation by now.  

If he's given time, he'll turn Vale round.  

Talk about damning him with faint praise, I genuinely think I could have done better than Xisco in those first 10 games. 😄

And like what I've just claimed, it's all speculation. But his record at Huddersfield was almost Xiscoesque so by no means a given that he could have bettered him over the first 10 games ..

2 hours ago, Harrysgame said:

Ok, forgetting the job titles, just don't think he is cut out for clubs like ours with the expections we have, although that's our issue as the past 20 years gives no indication that we should have expectations other than lg1 of champ.

There aren't any clubs like ours. DC makes sure of that and not in a good way.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, malek said:

We were top of the league, fell apart and missed out on automatic promotion.

Losing to worst team in the league when it metered the most as well.

First Play Off game, We fell apart again and got destroyed.

10 man Barnsley hit the bar and Luca Connell missed open net with no one around him. Pardon My choice of words, but even if they didn't dominated, Barnsley should have won in regular time. We played poorly with man advantage from 30'th minute and were very, very lucky to get promoted.

I appreciate that you think differently,  and don't agree 👍

Screenshot2024-04-17at10_57_46.png.69d40577de0f5405b402dfb6ccba5e70.png

We were better than them in every stat, but sure, dominated against

Edited by London_Owl
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Lincs Owl said:

Just wish Moore had stopped for the first 10 games of the season.  Pretty sure we'd be safe from relegation by now.  

If he's given time, he'll turn Vale round.  

No we'd be relegated by now, chansiri would have sacked him in October and then probably appointed Xisco

• Like 2