Ugbo's position

2 hours ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

I don't disagree that he is probably our best finisher, but didn't he miss 2 of our best chances? Volley in the first 5 minutes and a header in the 2nd? I think we just had the brown touch today

No Smith hitting the bar. Was our best chance,what a miss😁

It’s an obvious solution to play him down the middle but I do see why he wants to fit Smith into the team as things stand and you can’t play Smith out wide.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Emerson Thome said:

He scored the first two of his 6 goals playing right wing. Scored 4 in quick succession as a CF, but then went 3 games as the striker (Plymouth, Leeds, Ipswich) without scoring.

He feeds on low crosses,  scores more easily if he is central and I am sure that’s how he started with us. 

After the Norwich come back most fans are saying we need to play direct.. so we do.

drop points… and then we need to play with Gassama/ Musaba.

It just proves how competitive this league is, every game is different.

personally for me today was ugbo instead of cads

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, MBMitchell said:

I don't get smith playing, but he brings other players into the fold I'm told......

He couldn't score in open play constantly in league one, so I don't expect it in the championship 

I love rõhl, but he has had a major brain fart for me over this 

It’s quite simple of you watch carefully. In the last two to three games (especially since half time v Norwich) we have changed to a percentage type of football where we play longer and go for set plays and the second balls. That is why Smith is playing because Ugbo is not as good at that style of play. Smith has played well in the last two games.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, swfc-dan said:

Ugbo was scoring every game when played as the main striker. Ever since he's moved to the wide forward role I don't think he's scored once.

He is our best finisher so why the heck is he now played wide? He nearly scored today but only got one chance.

Smith battles hard but I just cannot understand why we don't play Ubgo and a pacy winger in gassama. He looked lively but only got 10 mins.

Need to go back to what was working Danny.

Ugbo started as the main striker against Leeds, Ipswich, Swansea and Boro. He didn’t score in any of those games and we only picked up 1 point in 4 games so you can understand why Röhl felt he needed to change it and bring Smith back in.

Smith has his limitations as a footballer but I’d say we’ve looked more threatening in last 3 games with Smith up front than we did in the previous 4 against Leeds, Ipswich, Swansea and Boro

Smith played really well yesterday I thought, he was a constant headache for them and won the vast majority of his aerial battles.

The way I see it, he’s not out there primarily as a particularly acute goal threat - he’s supposed to be a target man with players anticipating picking up a second ball off the back of his efforts in the air.

Our problem - and it’s been this way for years, it was a near-constant issue in the Nuhiu era too (with the notable exception of K Lee) - is that our attacking midfielders and second strikers are consistently dreadful at anticipating where those balls are going to ping off to and getting themselves in a position to  get to them first.

We never seem to have a nippy player in behind right where it usually drops - and on the vanishingly rare occasions we do, they’re normally already three yards out offside. It’s so incredibly frustrating.

Lee was a master at it, and Hooper’s positional play was also normally very good. It seems like something we’ve neglected for years on the whole, though - what’s the point of the big man if the speedier ones aren’t getting around him? It was a very frequent bugbear when Fletcher was out there winning high balls, too.

Edited by Mr. Tom
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, sexpistol said:

It really wasn’t. That was instinctive and was unlucky. Ugbo’s chance in the first few minutes was a sitter.

I actually thought Smith did an excellent job to control it as much as he did. If he'd tried to take a first touch before the shot, either he would have been smothered or it would more likely have run away from him. Timing the prod of his boot as the ball came up was the best option and a change of just a few millimetres of the contact point could easily have seen it end up in the upper tier behind the goal. One poster described it as a 'sitter' which was ridiculous.

Ugbo has no such excuse. He was under much less pressure in terms of time, motion and position and had a window of several yards in which he could have steered the ball and still found the net.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DJMortimer said:

I actually thought Smith did an excellent job to control it as much as he did. If he'd tried to take a first touch before the shot, either he would have been smothered or it would more likely have run away from him. Timing the prod of his boot as the ball came up was the best option and a change of just a few millimetres of the contact point could easily have seen it end up in the upper tier behind the goal. One poster described it as a 'sitter' which was ridiculous.

Ugbo has no such excuse. He was under much less pressure in terms of time, motion and position and had a window of several yards in which he could have steered the ball and still found the net.

As much as I don't rate Smith, his effort was spot on and very unlucky and he got it well, where as ugbos was a lot easier and he hit it down the keepers throat

So for that I will praise Smith on the shot out of the two of them 

• Like 1