Ugbo's position

Terrible waste of a player who has been bang in form. I guess DR has his reasoning but just my opinion. Perhaps DR wanted a big CF to compete against Stoke ‘s traditional huge back line. 

• Love 2

I don't get smith playing, but he brings other players into the fold I'm told......

He couldn't score in open play constantly in league one, so I don't expect it in the championship 

I love rõhl, but he has had a major brain fart for me over this 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, oneeyedmilkman said:

I don't disagree that he is probably our best finisher, but didn't he miss 2 of our best chances? Volley in the first 5 minutes and a header in the 2nd? I think we just had the brown touch today

Yeah but he'd get a lot more chances playing as CF and in the box more. He also has good link up play but it doesn't work when playing wide as he's not a ball carrier.

Gassama is our best ball carrier and most crrative player without Poveda, he won us the game at QPR. Can't understand him only getting 10 mins and he looked dangerous once he was on. Staton never asked Danny about either of these 

• Like 3

Yes, feeling from Stoke fans this season is that they are vulnerable to quick balls played in behind their defence…..so we lump it up to Smith and leave our pacy wingers on the bench. Danny has been a godsend but if we are praising him we have to be honest and say he’s also made some blunders when it comes to team selection.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

I don't get smith playing, but he brings other players into the fold I'm told......

He couldn't score in open play constantly in league one, so I don't expect it in the championship 

Smith was one of our best players on the pitch today.

Unlucky not to score too. 

• Haha 2

21 minutes ago, MBMitchell said:

Smith had trouble hitting the net last season as much as expected with all the chances he had but he did get 20 helped by  his excellent penalties. Strange how he has come back into favour but I suspect he was picked today because of  Tuesday's header,  and Sheff Cam reckons he plays also because he is good in defence. Wrong reason if so! 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, GMOwl72 said:

Yes, feeling from Stoke fans this season is that they are vulnerable to quick balls played in behind their defence…..so we lump it up to Smith and leave our pacy wingers on the bench. Danny has been a godsend but if we are praising him we have to be honest and say he’s also made some blunders when it comes to team selection.

like in the first half on Tuesday. His charisma has helped him evade the kind of treatment DM would have got. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, lukeyswfc said:

Weird lateness on subs today. Very weird.

yes 3 mins to work a miracle. . no manager is perfect but danny is making horrific mistakes .  i will actually be quite surprised if a club bigger than us will risk getting him in the summer , he has a lot to learn , fans of other clubs wont be as polite as we are . 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Yeah but he'd get a lot more chances playing as CF and in the box more. He also has good link up play but it doesn't work when playing wide as he's not a ball carrier.

Gassama is our best ball carrier and most crrative player without Poveda, he won us the game at QPR. Can't understand him only getting 10 mins and he looked dangerous once he was on. Staton never asked Danny about either of these 

Agree with point about Ugbo. We played him wide first away at Leicester I believe then took him off at h/t. e have messed with him, been too clever by half and his scoring which lifted us through Feb came to an end on March 2nd.

Very strange that after trying Musaba and Gassama again together on Tuesday,  which does not work,  neither got picked to start today and they came on late as subs . Musaba loses the ball so much and you are probably right that we needed Gassama to come on and carry the ball forward, which Windass is supposed to do but can't  

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Hyde2005 said:

yes 3 mins to work a miracle. . no manager is perfect but danny is making horrific mistakes .  i will actually be quite surprised if a club bigger than us will risk getting him in the summer , he has a lot to learn , fans of other clubs wont be as polite as we are . 

We have been very polite, and so grateful to him for lifting the mood and getting some results ( mostly thanks to the goals of Cadz and Ugbo, one not picked now and the other out of position)  but his stock is high enough to get into another club mananged by one of his countrymen, or Sunderland who seem to fancy him..H his definitely going upwards 

• Thanks 1

I said after 5 minutes what’s a centre forward doing on the left wing. Another obvious problem was we needed a player capable of going past the defenders. Lastly when we went one up, why didn’t we tighten the defence. I have been going since 1966, after the next home game, I retire to the tv for my football.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, HootHoot said:

Smith was one of our best players on the pitch today.

Unlucky not to score too. 

I trust your judgment but he didn't score when we dominated much of the game. Maybe the problem is the supply of good ammunition too. Pity about Poveda. When he sparkled vs Brum, I thought we would be safe.

53 minutes ago, swfc-dan said:

Ugbo was scoring every game when played as the main striker. Ever since he's moved to the wide forward role I don't think he's scored once.

He is our best finisher so why the heck is he now played wide? He nearly scored today but only got one chance.

Smith battles hard but I just cannot understand why we don't play Ubgo and a pacy winger in gassama. He looked lively but only got 10 mins.

Need to go back to what was working Danny.

Cardiff also messed him about. Suspect his skilfulness enables managers to have bright ideas on where to fit him in. H his our best striker and he showed what he could o and how grateful we were.

• Thanks 1