It’s time to talk about these goal kicks

Boot it up field and you have a 50% chance of retaining possession. 

Play out from the back is the much better option so long as it works more often than it doesn't. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

It’s the modern way to play. Creates space, drags teams out of position. It’s better than pumping it 75 yards to the opposition centre half and giving them possession.  

Since Röhl came in we’ve got better at it and our results have improved accordingly. 

The next improvement needs to come from the fanbase who need to stop wetting their knickers as soon as we don’t pump it 75 yards to the opposition centre half. 

Amen to this.

It’s mainly middle aged gimmers who still have the sound of their dinosaur PE teacher ringing in their ears ‘Hoof it forrad’ 

Maybe just relax, it’s counter productive to panic the players, plus we have benefitted from it more than we have suffered. 

Edited by Miffed
  • Like 3

the safer option is to chip out towards the wings somewhere near the half way line . if it goes over the targets head its a throw in to the  opposites and you can reset ......dawsons a dab hand at it and beadle chipped  a couple  out against leeds . 

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, vulva said:

It’s the modern way to play. Creates space, drags teams out of position. It’s better than pumping it 75 yards to the opposition centre half and giving them possession.  

Since Röhl came in we’ve got better at it and our results have improved accordingly. 

The next improvement needs to come from the fanbase who need to stop wetting their knickers as soon as we don’t pump it 75 yards to the opposition centre half. 

Two old middle-class ******** heads sat behind me. "Get rid of it" they scream.  Should tax them more.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, deano said:

Play out from the back is the much better option so long as it works more often than it doesn't. 

We play it out from the back,  almost get caught and boot it up in panic usually straight out  😅

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Too many people over thinking this but I believe Röhl and his coaches are getting it right even if it’s taken some time. I don’t believe they set up to play one way all the time. Leeds game was an example. When they pressed us Beadle started chipping out to the wing backs but kept over hitting it.. Later in the game when things opened up they either played out from the back or hit it long when Smith came on.

We had scary moments playing out but it was actually more succesful than Smith failing to get a head on the long punts downfield or  Beadle chipping into touch.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, deano said:

I never trust a keeper to mess with the ball on the ground in the area. So many opponents are quick enough to latch on

41 minutes ago, McRightSide said:

Bambo was involved in a sweeping move from a goal kick that led to us winning a corner against Leeds 

Don’t mate, you know how they love a scapegoat. Bambo made a few important tackles on Friday that were in dangerous positions, he’s not the best, but he’s not the worst either. I don’t understand the need to get on players backs. Palmer is a typical example.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MF TAZ said:

Can someone explain it like I’m 5? 

It’s really simple. The keeper and centre-halves play the ball to each other which invites the opposing team on. As the opponents press, it leaves space in the areas that they vacate. We then pass the ball into these spaces and exploit the fact that we’ve bypassed some of their players. We’ve created quite a few chances using this tactic and scored from some of those chances. It’s risky but effective when it works. 

Edited by shandypants
  • Like 3