It’s time to talk about these goal kicks

9 hours ago, MF TAZ said:

Can someone explain it like I’m 5? 

"New way"

Keep the ball by passing and stretching the opposition players left and right then progress forward.

"Old way"

Hoof it up field where it's then a 50/50 chance of who gets possession.

Don't like it when we play it too close, just look at "Rambo" at Arsenal at the weekend.

9 hours ago, vulva said:

It’s the modern way to play. Creates space, drags teams out of position. It’s better than pumping it 75 yards to the opposition centre half and giving them possession.  

Since Röhl came in we’ve got better at it and our results have improved accordingly. 

The next improvement needs to come from the fanbase who need to stop wetting their knickers as soon as we don’t pump it 75 yards to the opposition centre half. 

Basically what I've just wrote 9 hours later, for what it's worth I agree lol

52 minutes ago, shandypants said:

It’s really simple. The keeper and centre-halves play the ball to each other which invites the opposing team on. As the opponents press, it leaves space in the areas that they vacate. We then pass the ball into these spaces and exploit the fact that we’ve bypassed some of their players. We’ve created quite a few chances using this tactic and scored from some of those chances. It’s risky but effective when it works. 

What happens if the opposites turn down the invitation?....

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, torryowl said:

What happens if the opposites turn down the invitation?....

They have to have some movement off the ball - either man marking or closing off passing channels - otherwise you'd just play around them.

You play it across the back a few times until someone is pulled out of position enough for a good through ball to be available - usually to the #6 or down the channels to your wide players. If they're in a mid block, over the top to the strikers is an option too (Leeds did that to us a few times once they figured out how effectively our out-of-possession shape was preventing them from playing it forward).

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Umeeksk said:

They have to have some movement off the ball - either man marking or closing off passing channels - otherwise you'd just play around them.

You play it across the back a few times until someone is pulled out of position enough for a good through ball to be available - usually to the #6 or down the channels to your wide players. If they're in a mid block, over the top to the strikers is an option too (Leeds did that to us a few times once they figured out how effectively our out-of-possession shape was preventing them from playing it forward).

Seems to me that we tippy tappy across the edge of the box few times  until the crowd get a bit restless and then give it the keeper who hoofs  it usually  out of play  ....have we scored a goal playing this way coz I can think of  3 that its cost us one   

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Seems to me that we tippy tappy across the edge of the box few times  until the crowd get a bit restless and then give it the keeper who hoofs  it usually  out of play  ....have we scored a goal playing this way coz I can think of  3 that its cost us one   

First goal against Bristol City is a great example of a goal coming from playing it across the back:

Watch how they get pulled out of shape as the ball comes across and we exploit the gaps that open up, get the ball into the right channel, then play in a one-touch cross. Training ground goal.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Umeeksk said:

First goal against Bristol City is a great example of a goal coming from playing it across the back:

Watch how they get pulled out of shape as the ball comes across and we exploit the gaps that open up, get the ball into the right channel, then play in a one-touch cross. Training ground goal.

Good move that as we played at at some pace but most of the time we dont we just move back and forth a cross the  back ..... a few more like that I might become converted.

35 minutes ago, torryowl said:

Good move that as we played at at some pace but most of the time we dont we just move back and forth a cross the  back ..... a few more like that I might become converted.

If you're playing it across the back and not finding a way through it's probably because the opposition are organised and doing their job well.

Look at this sequence of us defending against Leeds for a minute and a half and completely stifling them. That's not because Leeds are rubbish. It's because our shape is superbly organised.

Of course, Leeds figured out that this wasn't working and started pumping it long and challenging for second balls instead - because ironically for all our organisation we struggled at defending the simple stuff at times. Their second comes from just four touches after a long goal kick. I think that goes to show the value of tactical adaptation and having more than one plan to score!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, vulva said:

It’s the modern way to play. Creates space, drags teams out of position. It’s better than pumping it 75 yards to the opposition centre half and giving them possession.  

Since Röhl came in we’ve got better at it and our results have improved accordingly. 

The next improvement needs to come from the fanbase who need to stop wetting their knickers as soon as we don’t pump it 75 yards to the opposition centre half. 

This. However, I'm not convinced we always have the defenders on the pitch who are capable of playing this way. That's when I don't like it cos I know what's coming!

14 hours ago, MF TAZ said:

Can someone explain it like I’m 5? 

Yes but only after you have eaten your tea and tidied your room. 

Then believe everything I tell you and don't talk back. 

OK?

• Haha 1