New Everton stadium

19 minutes ago, Tea Baggins said:

Running massively behind and well over budget.

Plus the building contractor posted losses of £285m last year…. And had a.fatality on site!!

Not all rosy.

They missed all that off their sky sports promo 

• Haha 1

I know things move on but never been to one new build yet and felt it had character.

Rotherham's is not too bad, feel like you are in Rotherham (not sure that's an advantage thinking about it).

Also Millmoor was 30 years at least out of date when it closed, but not knocked down strangely.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, matthefish2002 said:

I know things move on but never been to one new build yet and felt it had character.

Rotherham's is not too bad, feel like you are in Rotherham (not sure that's an advantage thinking about it).

Also Millmoor was 30 years at least out of date when it closed, but not knocked down strangely.

I liked stadium MK, if the home team had a decent following it would be a great experience. 

Southampton, Reading etc don’t seem to have any character at all. 

12 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

I liked stadium MK, if the home team had a decent following it would be a great experience. 

Southampton, Reading etc don’t seem to have any character at all. 

Been a couple of times to MK Dons and sorry to say I don't think much of it.
Next to a massive 24 hour Asda and Ikea and in middle of a Retail Park.
Also I suppose the way the way the club was formed its hard to warm to MK Dons.

But of course if you are building a new stadium old school (code for an old fashioned stick in the mud) supporters are quite low down on list of priorities.
Looking for corporate facilities and maximising revenue but getting people in early to eat and drink.

Opportunities to stage concerts and other sporting events.

1 hour ago, matthefish2002 said:

It is strange they have kept Milmoor in its place. Any idea why?

To be fair Hillsborough is at least 30 years out of date too. The whole lot needs upgrading/replacing

Think it looks good. Really striking location, more to it than just a bowl, will be bang on around that area once it's done.

There was definitely a period where it felt like every new stadium development was following the same template but I feel like stadium design has got a bit more to it now.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

I think the Booth family own it, or something? It's certainly on their patch. I just don't think there's ever been a particular reason or rush for him to knock it down?

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, sheffield_dave said:

Think it looks good. Really striking location, more to it than just a bowl, will be bang on around that area once it's done.

There was definitely a period where it felt like every new stadium development was following the same template but I feel like stadium design has got a bit more to it now.

I think it looks good too. Great location like you say as well. 

The new Everton stadium might have a "nice" location but I bet the congestion is an absolute nightmare. At the vast majority of other grounds, the fans approach and depart the stadium in all directions, but with it being built into the river it means that there'll be 50k+ fans all basically arriving from / departing in the same direction.

43 minutes ago, alanharper said:

The new Everton stadium might have a "nice" location but I bet the congestion is an absolute nightmare. At the vast majority of other grounds, the fans approach and depart the stadium in all directions, but with it being built into the river it means that there'll be 50k+ fans all basically arriving from / departing in the same direction.

Have you been near Goodison on a match day? It's a bottleneck on either side. 

The new ground is poor for anyone who wants to drive up to it but I'd guess, unless you're disabled, that's not something you'd want anyway. It's a short walking distance from a couple of the train stops and about 15-20 minutes walk from the city centre. 

1 hour ago, edinburghowl said:

I think it looks good too. Great location like you say as well. 

And it looks bigger and more impressive from the road than it is inside.   I know they are up and down every season but they are run properly, much better than us, and punch well above their weight.  Their chairman is a Wednesday fan too I think, not super wealthy but seems a better businessman than ours.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Adem Poric said:

Have you been near Goodison on a match day? It's a bottleneck on either side. 

The new ground is poor for anyone who wants to drive up to it but I'd guess, unless you're disabled, that's not something you'd want anyway. It's a short walking distance from a couple of the train stops and about 15-20 minutes walk from the city centre. 

Not for about a quarter of century, obviously lol

But the point was that most grounds will have people arriving and dispersing in all directions, whereas this one will have 50k all arriving and departing at the same end of the ground which is highly unusual, maybe Wembley might get that many coming the same way but at least there are alternate options there yet even that is notoriously difficult to get away from.

3 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

To be fair Hillsborough is at least 30 years out of date too. The whole lot needs upgrading/replacing

Somewhere for Wednesday to play when Chansiri kicks us out of Hillsborough 

5 hours ago, matthefish2002 said:

I think they've got better in recent years, they seemed to have moved away from those soulless bowls like The Ricoh in the early 00s.

Chesterfield's is decent, small obviously but really good for a lower league club.