Warnock

13 hours ago, sheffield_dave said:

100%. I don't believe it's ever (or ever will be) a serious proposition and there's a million and one other obstacles to it, but the one thing that would always scupper this would be Premier League clubs voting for it.

I think Celtic and Rangers are bigger than everyone in this country bar Man United, Arsenal and Liverpool, and I think with Premier League money and exposure behind them they'd start throwing that weight around pretty quickly. Nobody is voting to put their own noses out of joint like that.

Exactly 

22 hours ago, Adem Poric said:

Warnock may have mellowed over the years and he doesn't take himself seriously anymore but let's not forget that for a very long time he was a nasty piece of work and a prize cunt. 

As entertaining as he is, he is a cheat. 

The ' Battle of Bramall Lane'  was a disgrace. Manufacturing the game being called off was an insult to his own clubs fans. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 08/02/2024 at 17:38, Big Malc said:

Not arguing with any of that tbf

Just that as it stands,  the majority of the SPL is a dreadful standard.  Anyone with eyes and without a dog in the fight can see this

Anyone trying to make out the championship is similar is living in cloud cuckoo land.  Can only assume they’re taking it as a criticism of Scotland itself which is nowhere near the truth.

I agree the majority of the Scottish Premiership is a dreadful standard and overall the Championship is stronger. I don’t doubt that, it clearly is a much stronger league.

I wasn’t taking it as a criticism of Scotland too, just pointing out the inaccuracy of you saying that every other club is League 1 level.

And I maintain the Championship isn’t a great standard of league. Overall it’s not.

On 09/02/2024 at 02:53, IWEDFM said:

Not having a pop mate but you can't honestly believe that Hearts are "bigger than several Championship teams". Apart from Rotherham and maybe at a push Millwall I can't really think of any others. Like I said i'm not having a go so please don't take it the wrong way 

I also doubt whether you would survive in the Championship. It was only about 3 years ago that you were in the Scottish second tier 

Maybe at a push Millwall, there’s nearly half the league that Hearts are a bigger club than. I’ve shown it above with the financials and support, nevermind on and off the pitch. You’re entitled to your opinion but it’s nonsense.

I’ve just watched a 33 year old Marvin Johnson run the show last night at Hillsborough. A player who in his prime did nothing in the Scottish Premiership and finished 11th at Motherwell and in a relegation playoff. 

Edited by edinburghowl

Hate the bloke.

Each to their own and all that, but never understood Wednesday fans thinking he’s alright. If you ignore his comments on us, he got a game off due to his team getting too many sendings off, lies at every opportunity, is known to sign and play players for a split of their match fee and has no eyebrows 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Maybe at a push Millwall, there’s nearly half the league that Hearts are a bigger club than. I’ve shown it above with the financials and support, nevermind on and off the pitch. You’re entitled to your opinion but it’s nonsense.

I’ve just watched a 33 year old Marvin Johnson run the show last night at Hillsborough. A player who in his prime did nothing in the Scottish Premiership and finished 11th at Motherwell and in a relegation playoff. 

Sorry but Hearts are not a bigger club than nearly half the Championship. Essentially you are in the Scottish top flight and i'm pretty sure if Bristol City or Preston were in the English top flight they would be pulling in bigger crowds than what Hearts currently get

Your example of Johnson is ridiculous when the Hearts squad is made up of League One rejects like Frankie Kent and Scott Fraser

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Sorry but Hearts are not a bigger club than nearly half the Championship. Essentially you are in the Scottish top flight and i'm pretty sure if Bristol City or Preston were in the English top flight they would be pulling in bigger crowds than what Hearts currently get

Your example of Johnson is ridiculous when the Hearts squad is made up of League One rejects like Frankie Kent and Scott Fraser

Using Bristol City wasn't a great idea as they already get bigger crowds than Hearts but my point still stands

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, Ever the pessimist said:

I quite like Hearts (my Scottish team along with Dumbarton) but what’s frustrating is they’re from a city similar in size to Sheffield but they and hibs get lower crowds than us and pigs.

Is it just because even in Edinburgh there’s so many Rangers and Celtic fans?

It’s because of the size of the stadium. Hearts have sold out pretty much every league fixture for over 2 years and as I’ve said in previous posts have a season ticket waiting list of 5,500 confirmed by the club’s CEO. It’s easily researchable online mate.

And that’s with a reduced away capacity of just over 600 seats in order to accommodate more home fans. Away fans get one section of one stand currently. Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen have been kicking up a stick about their allocation for ages and those clubs could easily sell another 3,000 each. Again easily researchable on the away allocation.

Fair enough we will continue to get travelling supports of 2 men and a dog from the likes of Livingston and Ross County. We can’t help that.

However add in the 3,000 away fans from the bigger clubs and 5,500 extra season tickets on to the current average of 18,500 and you’re talking crowds of a similar level to Wednesday.

For European fixtures where the club used to use Murrayfield they’ve been 30,000+ every game. One fixture the attendance was 57,857.

The support is there and it’s laughable that he claims diddies like Preston and Bristol could get more. I’m sure Hearts would too if they were playing in the English Premier League.

17 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

You’re talking hypotheticals. If Hearts were in the English Premier League with a bigger stadium they’d get much bigger crowds too.

As for the past, I don’t remember clubs like them ever beating Bayern Munich in the Quarter Final of a European competition like Hearts. I was there. Or like Aberdeen winning European trophies.

My Marvin Johnson comment was slightly tongue in cheek but he’s a poor player. He wouldn’t be getting in Hearts team that’s for sure. Scott Fraser who scored 9 from midfield in League 1 last season is a loan for squad depth, and has been on the bench every fixture. Frankie Kent was a starter week in week out for Playoff Peterborough and they wanted to keep him. 

In the here and now Hearts are a bigger club than Preston, Bristol, and several other of the diddies in the Championship.

That is the case on attendances even when the club is hamstrung by stadium size.

On the finances they generate even with a far worse TV and sponsorship deal than the English Championship clubs get, and on the pitch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

It’s because of the size of the stadium. Hearts have sold out pretty much every league fixture for over 2 years and as I’ve said in previous posts have a season ticket waiting list of 5,500 confirmed by the club’s CEO. It’s easily researchable online mate.

And that’s with a reduced away capacity of just over 600 seats in order to accommodate more home fans. Away fans get one section of one stand currently. Celtic, Rangers and Aberdeen have been kicking up a stick about their allocation for ages and those clubs could easily sell another 3,000 each. Again easily researchable on the away allocation.

Fair enough we will continue to get travelling supports of 2 men and a dog from the likes of Livingston and Ross County. We can’t help that.

However add in the 3,000 away fans from the bigger clubs and 5,500 extra season tickets on to the current average of 18,500 and you’re talking crowds of a similar level to Wednesday.

For European fixtures where the club used to use Murrayfield they’ve been 30,000+ every game. One fixture the attendance was 57,857.

The support is there and it’s laughable that he claims diddies like Preston and Bristol could get more. I’m sure Hearts would too if they were playing in the English Premier League.

You’re talking hypotheticals. If Hearts were in the English Premier League with a bigger stadium they’d get much bigger crowds too.

As for the past, I don’t remember clubs like them ever beating Bayern Munich in the Quarter Final of a European competition like Hearts. I was there. Or like Aberdeen winning European trophies.

My Marvin Johnson comment was slightly tongue in cheek but he’s a poor player. He wouldn’t be getting in Hearts team that’s for sure. Scott Fraser who scored 9 from midfield in League 1 last season is a loan for squad depth, and has been on the bench every fixture. Frankie Kent was a starter week in week out for Playoff Peterborough and they wanted to keep him. 

In the here and now Hearts are a bigger club than Preston, Bristol, and several other of the diddies in the Championship.

That is the case on attendances even when the club is hamstrung by stadium size.

On the finances they generate even with a far worse TV and sponsorship deal than the English Championship clubs get, and on the pitch. 

I agree that Hearts are bigger than Bristol City and Preston but there are no 'diddies' in the championship with the exception of maybe Rotherham. Even they could probably compete with the likes of Hearts or Aberdeen for attracting players though.

As for Marvin Johnson being a poor player that wouldn't get in the Hearts team I disagree with. He's been superb recently and if he's good enough for Ipswich he's certainly good enough for Hearts.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

I agree that Hearts are bigger than Bristol City and Preston but there are no 'diddies' in the championship with the exception of maybe Rotherham. Even they could probably compete with the likes of Hearts or Aberdeen for attracting players though.

As for Marvin Johnson being a poor player that wouldn't get in the Hearts team I disagree with. He's been superb recently and if he's good enough for Ipswich he's certainly good enough for Hearts.

Marvin Johnson has been good recently and he was great on Friday night but he’s 33 and probably a bottom half of the Championship at best level player. The player Hearts have in his position Alex Cochrane has been attracting Premier League, top of the Championship and Serie A interest and is 23. Marvin Johnson would not replace Cochrane and he’s certainly not as valuable either. He’d be a great signing for Wednesday too if we had the cash. 

Hearts are a big club , a good team and would be absolutely fine in the championship.  Remember Luton got promoted last season from the championship so let’s not pretend the championship is the last word in quality.  The gulf between the prem and championship is absolutely massive, as proven by saints and Leicester absolutely battering everyone this season.

Celtic would murder most of the championship teams and this isn’t a great Celtic side by any stretch. 

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

Marvin Johnson would walk into the Hearts team as would most Wednesday players. Even Ashley Fletcher would score goals in Scotland 

Not saying Hearts aren't a big club but they're certainly not bigger than half the Championship but we'll leave it there

• Haha 1

W0 D2 L3 in the league so far for Warnock and questions already being asked.

Aberdeen lost to a terrible St Johnstone team at home last night 2-0. Definitely in the relegation playoff mix and sinking like a stone. They’re in big trouble and he doesn’t seem to have any answers. And that’s with a striker who they will probably sell for £7-8m in the summer at his disposal. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, edinburghowl said:

Aberdeen lost to a terrible St Johnstone team at home last night 2-0. Definitely in the relegation playoff mix and sinking like a stone. They’re in big trouble and he doesn’t seem to have any answers. And that’s with a striker who they will probably sell for £7-8m in the summer at his disposal. 

Good.

Maybe the Warnock jerk circle on this site will stop.

• Like 2

On 10/02/2024 at 08:24, Ever the pessimist said:

Hate the bloke.

Each to their own and all that, but never understood Wednesday fans thinking he’s alright. If you ignore his comments on us, he got a game off due to his team getting too many sendings off, lies at every opportunity, is known to sign and play players for a split of their match fee and has no eyebrows 

Hate is too strong a word but the idea that he's a lovable rogue is absurd. I think his teams have always cheated when they can get away with it. Because he plays the pantomime clown now hasn't fooled me at all.

• Like 1

Colin tho lol

Made the big mistake of making the whole thing about him.  Football is always about the players.  

in Colin’s world if it is going well it is down to his management:  if it is going badly it is due to players not ‘ running through brick walls ‘ and other cliches .  

23 hours ago, edinburghowl said:

To what extent can the fact he has never managed in that league play a part?