Players who have become overrated over time

I think a lot of players from prior generations tend to be under-rated if anything.

I mean, how likely is it that all the 'Greatest Of All Time' footballers are actually playing now?

Sure, they are fitter and take better care of themselves now, and subsequently hand longer careers.  

But the cult of the celebrity footballer and obsession with who is the 'GOAT' has definitely gone into overdrive recently.  That used to be a conversation for twelve year old boys.  Now people follow players from club to club like that is what football is about.

Incidentally, Bergkamp and Scholes are about the worst possible examples you could possibly find of 'overrated' 90s players.  Both absolutely world class.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, owlinexile said:

I think a lot of players from prior generations tend to be under-rated if anything.

I mean, how likely is it that all the 'Greatest Of All Time' footballers are actually playing now?

Sure, they are fitter and take better care of themselves now, and subsequently hand longer careers.  

But the cult of the celebrity footballer and obsession with who is the 'GOAT' has definitely gone into overdrive recently.  That used to be a conversation for twelve year old boys.  Now people follow players from club to club like that is what football is about.

Incidentally, Bergkamp and Scholes are about the worst possible examples you could possibly find of 'overrated' 90s players.  Both absolutely world class.

It’s an American thing

On 19/12/2023 at 08:59, Ellis Rimmer said:

Best example for me was when Paul Heffernan was out of the team and fan’s were talking as though we were leaving Ronaldo out

Who?

Some big players current and past are and have been massively overrated. Paul Pogba, Jack Grealish, Calvin Phillips, David Luiz, Marcelo, and perhaps my most controversial is Pele. I read someone on here say Gordon Banks was the best keeper ever too lol

On 04/01/2024 at 13:38, edinburghowl said:

Some big players current and past are and have been massively overrated. Paul Pogba, Jack Grealish, Calvin Phillips, David Luiz, Marcelo, and perhaps my most controversial is Pele. I read someone on here say Gordon Banks was the best keeper ever too lol

Tha phookin what??!!! 

• Haha 2

I wouldn't have David luiz in Wednesday's back line. One of the worst defenders I've ever seen. Think that's why Chelsea played him in the middle of the park to keep him out of the way.

Pele over rated?

2 hours ago, Drewswfc said:

I wouldn't have David luiz in Wednesday's back line. 

We had Majid Bougherra 

Could play a bit and run with the ball.

Also then lost the ball and was hopelessly out of position. 

Our version of David Luiz.

Also Reda Johnson did one showboat tackle a scored a few goals, but was a complete liability in defence  - some of our fans still think he's a legend. 

That famous Gordon Banks save  from Pele baffles  me. I can't see what's amazing about it. It's a decent save. If it happened in a game now it would get replayed as a highlight but wouldn't be mentioned again after that. 

6 hours ago, Bannofan said:

We had Majid Bougherra 

Also Reda Johnson did one showboat tackle a scored a few goals, but was a complete liability in defence  - some of our fans still think he's a legend. 

Your not wrong but they didn't go for silly money. I mean Chelsea bought him twice for ridiculous money. WTF?

Screenshot_20240109_052729_Chrome.jpg

11 hours ago, Bannofan said:

We had Majid Bougherra 

I put Reda Johnson in same category as Semedo and Nuhiu.
All had a good rapport with the crowd which made people want to believe they were better players than they were.
Also being a bit cynical the players knew this so and encouraged the rapport.

14 minutes ago, Owlinmad said:

Reece James is the latest one.

Well, he only plays about 2 games all season. 

Looked a player, but he's never going to amount to what people billed him up to be. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, fudge27 said:

Tha phookin what??!!! 

Commonly referred to as the greatest footballer ever? Really? A man who played only in Brazil and the US. He’s up there and an all time great for sure. The best ever footballer? Not for me. Therefore overrated 

• Haha 1