Players who have become overrated over time

He's a current player, but DCL has to be worth a shout. 

Had one decent season during COVID times, always injured, misses easy chances, breaks down again, is out for 6-months. 

And yet people talking about him like he's a top striker. 

3 hours ago, FreshOwl said:

The Neymar slander is mad. Did anyone of you actually watch him consistently? 2014-2017 Neymar with Suarez & Messi was a joy to watch 

Like a lot of non PL based players, I think people just judge him on appearances at World Cups or possibly in the Champions League.

Also, like a lot of players, because he comes across as a bit of a kn*b, people don't rate him as highly.

17 hours ago, Bannofan said:

That famous Gordon Banks save  from Pele baffles  me. I can't see what's amazing about it. It's a decent save. If it happened in a game now it would get replayed as a highlight but wouldn't be mentioned again after that. 

It was a stunning save. GB had to get across his goal and get down to a powerful downward header and turn it around the post. All in a split second.  So can't agree with you, there, Banno

But apparetnly GB considered this pen save against Hurst his best - got Stoke to the LC Final, too

1 minute ago, edmontonowl said:

It was a stunning save. GB had to get across his goal and get down to a powerful downward header and turn it around the post. All in a split second.  So can't agree with you, there, Banno

But apparetnly GB considered this pen save against Hurst his best - got Stoke to the LC Final, too

Tell you what, that is a right penno save!

11 hours ago, Drewswfc said:

Your not wrong but they didn't go for silly money. I mean Chelsea bought him twice for ridiculous money. WTF?

Screenshot_20240109_052729_Chrome.jpg

Chelsea spunking a total of £60m on that clownshoes is one of the funniest things I’ve seen in a while

On 04/01/2024 at 13:45, Owl_For_a_Lifetime said:

Overrated:- 

Tino Asprilla, Jamie Redknapp, Les Ferdinand, Peter Crouch, Robbie Fowler, Neville Southall

Underrated:-

Steve McManaman, Ian Wright

And that's as a pundit!

Played for some big clubs but ultimately will be remembered for making his teams mates wear a white suit.

2 hours ago, edmontonowl said:

Good strike but nice height and nowhere near the corner. Crap pen in my opinion 

On 09/01/2024 at 18:43, Screen Door Slams said:

This should get a few bites..................Ryan Giggs

I think Giggs was a great player, but I wouldn't have him anywhere near an All Time PL XI despite his quality and longevity. 

8 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Would you have Bergkamp in there?

No, I probably wouldn't, but that's not the same as saying someone is overrated. 

Nice try though. 

1 minute ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Why not what’s wrong with him?

I'd put other players ahead of him in an all time XI. 

Nothing wrong with him, just think other players edge him in terms of getting in. 

You're only revisiting this cause you are getting pelters in the matchday for both this and your daft suggestion that Sheffield Wednesday should move its training base to London. 

4 minutes ago, SiJ said:

You're only revisiting this cause you are getting pelters in the matchday for both this and your daft suggestion that Sheffield Wednesday should move its training base to London. 

I haven’t bumped it. Seems you rate Giggs as much as I do Bergkamp

1 hour ago, SiJ said:

No, I probably wouldn't, but that's not the same as saying someone is overrated. 

Nice try though. 

Think that is something that has become a real issue with the discussion around football now. People confuse overrated and bad far too often.