Players who have become overrated over time

I’m seeing a trend where players become more and more overrated 

I think this is potentially due to an influx of new fans looking at highlights (US fans)

Bergkamp - great player, but in seeing him regularly appear in best PL player discussions. He was very good but not that level

Scholes/Carrick-These two seem to be benefitting from another weird thing that Lampard and Gerrard become less rated over time and get a lot of people wondering why those two were playing instead of these two. 
Le Tissier-lots of flair but ultimately bigger clubs didn’t try hard to get him for a reason. Saw somebody saying Spurs were trying to get him as though that had any relevance during the 90s

i think the above have the highlights reels in common 

1 hour ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

Iliman Ndiaye. According to them lot the best player the championship has ever seen lol

Also according to them lot, John Brayford is the greatest right back ever to play the game of football because he had a beard whilst playing for them 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Bergkamp for me is the best foreign player in the premier league era. 

He was unreal for club and country. An absolute superstar! 

The Dutch team in that era had so many good players. Still regularly watch England take them apart at Wembley in 96. Amazes me to this day! 

13 minutes ago, katie melua said:

Also according to them lot, John Brayford is the greatest right back ever to play the game of football because he had a beard whilst playing for them 

Not just any beard!

Bergkamp is one of the best premier players ever

Tony yeboa maybe? Apart from a couple of screamers, was he really that good?

6 minutes ago, HighworthOwl said:

Bergkamp for me is the best foreign player in the premier league era. 

He was unreal for club and country. An absolute superstar! 

The Dutch team in that era had so many good players. Still regularly watch England take them apart at Wembley in 96. Amazes me to this day! 

He was not Henry, Cantona, Ronaldo, Shearer level which is where he seems to be put these days

9 minutes ago, The only way is S6 said:

Neymar 

Vastly overrated / underwhelming 

2 Spanish leagues 

1 UCL

A few non descript French league titles 

He’s still going though I think lots of people think like you

Tbh, I sometimes find the platitudes given to Van Dijk a tad ridiculous. 

Believe Michael Owen went so far as to describe him as the greatest defender of all time which is just hilarious really. 

No denying he's a top player and will go down as one of the great PL Cbs but still. 

Speaking of Paul Scholes being overrated

https://redflagflyinghigh.com/2011/05/blogs/scholes-tribute-the-worlds-top-players-on-the-ginger-prince/2/

https://www.givemesport.com/1785980-paul-scholess-reaction-to-praise-from-messi-ronaldo-zidane-and-other-football-greats/#:~:text=Scholes has been praised by,experts in the football world.

Easily one of the greatest attacking midfielders I've seen. Respectfully disagree anyone mentioning overrated and Paul Scholes in the same sentence

To this day, I'll never understand why Sven put him on the left wing. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Le Tissier-lots of flair but ultimately bigger clubs didn’t try hard to get him for a reason. Saw somebody saying Spurs were trying to get him as though that had any relevance during the 90s

As hard as it is to believe, Tottenham Hotspurs were and remain a huge football club in this country. 

They were one of the "Big 5" who were key in setting up the Premier League. 

Remember they signed Gazza from under Man U's/Fergie's nose. 

1 minute ago, Owl_For_a_Lifetime said:

Neymar I definitely agree with, English wise I'd go with Rooney, no arguing he was a good player but never did anything internationally after 2004..

Tbf, how many English players of that so-called "golden" generation did? 

Ashley Cole was consistently good. 

Not many players from that era replicated club form at international level. 

Personally, I think Rooney gets massively underrated by far too many. Each to their own though. 

Edited by SiJ