Erling Haaland

BIG D

A superb player and an elite goal scorer.

He would have won the Ballon d'Or had Argentina not won the World Cup.

KDB will be back soon, he makes him even better.

Whilst he will not win international football awards, he will clear the decks in world club football.

How much is he worth in the football market? Two Mbappes and a Barry Bannan.

I wonder if there is a greater gulf between the best team and the rest these days. 

Man Utd used to win the league with low 80s, whereas now you need 95 or so just to finish 2nd. City have battered basically all teams not in the top 4, so whilst he’s a sensational player you can’t help think that any of the other classic #9s on that list would have a similar record. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Alb1owl said:

I wonder if there is a greater gulf between the best team and the rest these days. 

Man Utd used to win the league with low 80s, whereas now you need 95 or so just to finish 2nd. City have battered basically all teams not in the top 4, so whilst he’s a sensational player you can’t help think that any of the other classic #9s on that list would have a similar record. 

Not sure. 

Perhaps it was a more even league back in the day. We would often do pretty well against the likes of United and Arsenal at Hillsborough, whilst nowadays most of teams in the PL are cannon fodder for the top sides. 

Have the top teams got better, whilst the rest of the division isn't all that? Possibly. 

Think the level of spending in the PL often masks the fact that two thirds of the division range from mediocre to absolute crap. 

Still - I think elite players like Haaland play at elite clubs for a reason, whilst very good strikers back in the day (let's say Les Ferdinand) played at clubs a notch or two below that. 

If Haaland's job was so easy, then logically you could put any half decent striker in there and he would bag 40 or so goals a season. I don't think that would be the case though. 

It's a bit like anyone could manage Man City to the title. You could put Big Sam in charge and he'd replicate what Pep has done. He wouldn't. 

• Love 1

I think although the scoring record is amazing, we do seem to be in an era that strikers can get a goal a game, it started with Messi and Ronaldo, then Lewandowski+Suarez started at it, now we've got Haaland and Kane doing it, for me it seems to be 1) More protection for strikers 2) An increase in the gulf in quality from the top teams to the lesser teams in their respective leagues

6 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

I think although the scoring record is amazing, we do seem to be in an era that strikers can get a goal a game, it started with Messi and Ronaldo, then Lewandowski+Suarez started at it, now we've got Haaland and Kane doing it, for me it seems to be 1) More protection for strikers 2) An increase in the gulf in quality from the top teams to the lesser teams in their respective leagues

Not just out and out strikers too, even wide forwards (Salah) are hitting goal scoring rates which are better than 1 in 2. 

Honestly, I'd say if you are banging in 15 to 20 goals a season in a league, you're having a pretty damn good season, but now you have guys consistently posting high 20s, and low to mid-30s. 

1 minute ago, SiJ said:

Not just out and out strikers too, even wide forwards (Salah) are hitting goal scoring rates which are better than 1 in 2. 

Honestly, I'd say if you are banging in 15 to 20 goals a season in a league, you're having a pretty damn good season, but now you have guys consistently posting high 20s, and low to mid-30s. 

Exactly, it makes it difficult to compare eras really. The pitches are so good these days, which much help greatly for attackers too.

33 minutes ago, SiJ said:

Not sure. 

Perhaps it was a more even league back in the day. We would often do pretty well against the likes of United and Arsenal at Hillsborough, whilst nowadays most of teams in the PL are cannon fodder for the top sides. 

Have the top teams got better, whilst the rest of the division isn't all that? Possibly. 

Think the level of spending in the PL often masks the fact that two thirds of the division range from mediocre to absolute crap. 

Still - I think elite players like Haaland play at elite clubs for a reason, whilst very good strikers back in the day (let's say Les Ferdinand) played at clubs a notch or two below that. 

If Haaland's job was so easy, then logically you could put any half decent striker in there and he would bag 40 or so goals a season. I don't think that would be the case though. 

It's a bit like anyone could manage Man City to the title. You could put Big Sam in charge and he'd replicate what Pep has done. He wouldn't. 

I still think he’s exceptional, that much is clear. He’s definitely in a league above the likes of Ferdinand as you say. 

But I don’t think he’s automatically better than Shearer, Kane, Van Nistelrooy or even an Aguero or Owen. 

Let’s not look past the fact that he misses some penalties and even some fairly simple chances.

That might be harsh because it’s impossible to score every single chance, but it makes me think he’s at the very very top level, but not necessarily distinct from the others in that bracket, and that his frankly wild ratio couldn’t be emulated by others I’ve mentioned if they also happened to play for a team who has been just completely dominant. 

Not many eras have had teams like city who seem always to win 3-0 or better at home to teams 6 and below. 

10 hours ago, SiJ said:

Not sure. 

Yeah, yeah, but what if he was called Big Sam Alladarcio? 🙂