Erling Haaland

BIG D

I wonder if it’s anything to do with defenders not being able to give strikers a more ‘old school kicking’.

It’s a soft free kick or pen if they do these days.  

And I think the finishing ability has gone through the roof. The drills etc they must do at top level these days… 

Also @BIG D

“Haaland is the quickest player ever to score 40 goals in the competition (Champions League) - reaching the milestone in just 35 matches, 10 fewer than Ruud van Nistelrooy, the previous record holder.” 

Kylian Mbappe is third fastest, taking 59 matches while two of the finest goalscorers of the modern era - Lionel Messi and Robert Lewandowski - needed 61 games each.

• Thanks 1

You really cant make the "put any striker in that City team and they'd do the same" argument because it hasn't happened before. 

The year before Haaland they barely played with a striker, Gundogan probably top scored. Jesus never got more than about 10 playing in this same system. Aguero was incredible, one of the best players in English club football history, and he got nowhere near Haaland's record.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

I wonder if it’s anything to do with defenders not being able to give strikers a more ‘old school kicking’.

It’s a soft free kick or pen if they do these days.  

And I think the finishing ability has gone through the roof. The drills etc they must do at top level these days… 

There's definitely something in that, the likes of Marco Van Basten played on awful pitches against better defenders (Baresi etc) who if you did start getting on top of them would be able to perform a swift kidney punch or scrape of studs down the back of achilles with no one watching.

That said, even factoring in every advantage Haaland has in terms of the City team around him, his levels of performance and consistency are astonishing...

15 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Also @BIG D

“Haaland is the quickest player ever to score 40 goals in the competition (Champions League) - reaching the milestone in just 35 matches, 10 fewer than Ruud van Nistelrooy, the previous record holder.” 

Kylian Mbappe is third fastest, taking 59 matches while two of the finest goalscorers of the modern era - Lionel Messi and Robert Lewandowski - needed 61 games each.

Incredible 

17 hours ago, Sham67 said:

Pretty sure Dixie Dean scored 60 goals in a 42 game season.  I would imagine he got to 50 in less games.

Not his first 50 games though, that was his fourth season in the First Division....

(Looks like it took him about 65 games to get his first 50)

Screenshot2023-11-29at23_18_37.thumb.png.bd9c7f75e882840d630c826f3109a4ee.png

The thing with Haaland as well is he's just extremely physically gifted.

He has the frame of an old school centre forward but is also absolutely rapid. He has literally every tool you could ask for in a forward player, with natural scoring instincts to rival anybody.

Closest comparison for me is the original Ronaldo. They certainly don't look the same but Ronaldo was a physical menace who could bully his way through games, was also lightning quick and one of the games most lethal finishers. Haaland has the same threat in that he looks like a physical and athletic mismatch against anybody, and scoring feels inevitable.

Much like Ronaldo, I don't think it matters what era they played in, and I think the main hope to stopping him is sheer hope that his body starts breaking down from playing the way they do.

Think R9 was a more skilful player. 

He could dribble past several players and score. 

Haaland isn't going to do that, but if you knock the ball over the top or split the defence, he's so rapid that no one is catching him. 

Oh yeah that's definitely not a 1:1 comparison in terms of how they play or their exact attributes.

But if you want strikers with the physical gifts to get themselves in the right positions and then finish the job, I'm not sure there's 2 better.

Haaland has already won the Champions League with City which is something Agüero failed to achieve in 10 years at the club

The scary thing about City is they're incredibly good even without him or KDB

50 minutes ago, IWEDFM said:

Haaland has already won the Champions League with City which is something Agüero failed to achieve in 10 years at the club

The scary thing about City is they're incredibly good even without him or KDB

Man City legacy (for want of a better word) is always going to tainted by the financial allegations against them.

But the actual side when its gets on the pitch is a great side.