Are you watching Michael the blade

4 minutes ago, vulva said:

We’ve beat Exeter. They’ve just lost at Wembley and are off to the Premier League again.  

I think they are winning. Shall we pipe down a bit?

Agreed but this bloke is a special type of horrible and deserves stick at every opportunity 

10 minutes ago, vulva said:

We’ve beat Exeter. They’ve just lost at Wembley and are off to the Premier League again.  

I think they are winning. Shall we pipe down a bit?

True.

It's incredible to think that when Tufty arrived the Blades were a mid-table Third Division team.

They spent relatively little, and probably would have achieved back-to-back promotions had Cootes not been butchered.

OK, Channers can't pick a manager to save his life, but how many managers from the lower leagues could do what Wilder did, especially with so little to work with.

They're just incredibly lucky.

1 hour ago, Athelwulf said:

True.

It's incredible to think that when Tufty arrived the Blades were a mid-table Third Division team.

They spent relatively little, and probably would have achieved back-to-back promotions had Cootes not been butchered.

OK, Channers can't pick a manager to save his life, but how many managers from the lower leagues could do what Wilder did, especially with so little to work with.

If they've spent relatively little, where has all the Premier League money gone, and why did they have an embargo?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, markowl said:

If they've spent relatively little, where has all the Premier League money gone, and why did they have an embargo?

I meant on the way to the PL.

I remember Tufty complaining that there was no-one at the club on big wages en route to promotion.

What's happened since is different, as you rightly say, but they're where they are today because of what Wilder did in his time there.

That was my point, really.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Athelwulf said:

True.

How many managers did McCabe go through before he stumbled upon Wilder?  How’s Wilder done since leaving them?

*No Wednesdayite would refer to him as Tufty unless taking the ********

3 hours ago, kirksandallowl said:

How many managers did McCabe go through before he stumbled upon Wilder?  How’s Wilder done since leaving them?

*No Wednesdayite would refer to him as Tufty unless taking the ********

I wasn't extolling McCabe's skill at selecting managers, simply saying that he was lucky, or the Blades were lucky.

I've been going to Hillsborough since 1977, and I've not seen anything like what happened there in my time.

Wilder was lucky too, in that when he arrived at the Lane the big earners/wasters were finally leaving so he could build a new team.

That wasn't the case at bonny 'Boro.

Wilder is the most overrated manager in England. Middlesbrough were in the bottom half when he left and Carrick in his first ever season as a manager with the same squad has guided them to the playoffs. Wilder is on the brink of the sack at Watford apparently having managed just 2 wins in 9 matches. He's a League One manager at best

• Like 2