Scunthorpe United

Good. About 40 odd years ago I watched us draw a cup match 1-1at their ground. As we walked out of the ground I got tw@ed by some of their supporters and got my head kicked in. It's cost me a lot of money over the years in dental work. Getting my lip stitched wasn't great either. Been waiting a lot of year's to see their demise. Long may it continue. Sorry if that sounds bad.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Whitechapel Owl said:

Relegated to the National League North today. 

Also plan to close their academy and train next season in Ilkeston, which is 70 miles away. 

Quite the fall from grace. 

Training in Ilkeston is a good idea- i assume that will give them access to more players.

3 hours ago, Owls_fan_since_1983 said:

Scunthorpe wont find it easy took York and Stockport a few seasons

Can see Scunthorpe getting relegated next season

York were the previous club to drop straight from L2 to NNL, and they’ve only just back to the National League this year. They have ongoing off the field drama that’s interrupted things on the pitch this year and it’s been a struggle. They’re not safe from dropping back down yet. Could be a while before we see anything of Scunthorpe again.

Stockport might be back in League One next year though, they’ve been going great guns lately. Shows it can turn around quickly once the wheels are back on the track.

Scunthorpe are one of those clubs that give me both a nostalgic and current feel about Sheffield Wednesday. 

Going to their ground in League One, or was it struggling in the Championship… whatever, not far to travel, small pitch, getting stood behind a steel girder, drawing 1-1, their fans fired up that the big club (apparently us?) were there, realising that is/was our standard at the time. 

Ahhh good times 🙄

there are quite a few clubs what have fallen badly . we aint exactly at there levels of lows but if we dont go up this season with contract situations and cost cutting in place i can see us falling to mid table like charlton and portsmouth next season. its going to need a lot of investment this summer in the squad. 

• Haha 2

17 hours ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

Training in Ilkeston is a good idea- i assume that will give them access to more players.

Think this idea was ditched after it was very unpopular with the fans.

It's an idea that has been done before, Barrow FC are actually based in Manchester and travel on the coach to home games.

Shocking how teams fall through the leagues. Scunny are a decent sized club with a good fanbase. I used to dread us playing them away as it was one of those horrible grounds you didn't expect to get anything from

21 minutes ago, SnowyOwl13 said:

Think this idea was ditched after it was very unpopular with the fans.

It's an idea that has been done before, Barrow FC are actually based in Manchester and travel on the coach to home games.

It makes perfect sense, if I were a billionaire and owned SWFC I’d move the base to London. Players want to live there not Sheffield.

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, Ellis Rimmer said:

It makes perfect sense, if I were a billionaire and owned SWFC I’d move the base to London. Players want to live there not Sheffield.

Certainly makes a lot of business sense, but football isn't all about business sense.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SnowyOwl13 said:

Certainly makes a lot of business sense, but football isn't all about business sense.

I don’t see what it’s got to do with the fans to be honest. Players are free to live where they want and are often happy to travel a relatively large distance like Bannan in Nottingam I believe.

Warnock wanted to move Scarboroughs training ground to Leeds, as was struggling to recruit, fans protested so they didn’t bother, look what happened with them. I know from NHS it’s difficult for Scarborough to get staff let alone footballers.

On 10/04/2023 at 17:57, Whitechapel Owl said:

Relegated to the National League North today. 

Also plan to close their academy and train next season in Ilkeston, which is 70 miles away. 

Quite the fall from grace. 

The did close the academy last week withing a few hours they reversed their decision.

Still pretty bad for a team in the championship not too long ago and an awful long way back ahead you would think.

York

Scarborough (new club)

Hereford

Chester

To name a few.

On 10/04/2023 at 20:05, alanharper said:

Yeovil are also on the brink of dropping to National League South. Its not all that long since they were in the Championship as well, about 9 years? 

Yes please. Never forget their cheating in 2011 from the drop ball which Agard scored from. Luckily we responded and won the game with a McGoldrick winner (I think!). I've been wishing their demise ever since!

• Like 1