Scunthorpe United

4 minutes ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Yes please. Never forget their cheating in 2011 from the drop ball which Agard scored from. Luckily we responded and won the game with a McGoldrick winner (I think!). I've been wishing their demise ever since!

Yeah, I remember their manager saying they were going to let us score from the kickoff but Megson was swearing so he told them not to.

Disliked them ever since - apart from when they beat United in the play offs the following season, obviously!

• Love 1

1 hour ago, alanharper said:

Yeah, I remember their manager saying they were going to let us score from the kickoff but Megson was swearing so he told them not to.

Disliked them ever since - apart from when they beat United in the play offs the following season, obviously!

I remember Terry Skidderton at Yeovil doing the same 

3 hours ago, oh_weds_we_love_you said:

Yes, please. Never forget their cheating in 2011 from the drop ball which Agard scored from. Luckily we responded and won the game with a McGoldrick winner (I think!). I've been wishing for their demise ever since!

Funny how it can still affect you after all these years. There I was walking out of their ground next minute I'm on the floor getting my head kicked in. I'd gone to every game home and away that season and hadn't missed a home game for years. Because of it, I missed the BDM so yes I'm glad they're doing crap and hopefully, those who tw@ted me will be in a load of pain like I was

• Love 1

I was reading up on Macclesfield before about how they've reformed as a phoenix club and are going well. They currently sit 1st in their league 

Neil Danns (remember him?) is their player-manager and their star striker is Nicky Maynard who is only 36 so could easily still be playing in the football league 

It's shocking how the likes of Macclesfield and Bury have just disappeared when you think of all the money involved in football

22 hours ago, IWEDFM said:

I was reading up on Macclesfield before about how they've reformed as a phoenix club and are going well. They currently sit 1st in their league 

Neil Danns (remember him?) is their player-manager and their star striker is Nicky Maynard who is only 36 so could easily still be playing in the football league 

It's shocking how the likes of Macclesfield and Bury have just disappeared when you think of all the money involved in football

Macclesfield is full of players who were in the EFL recently. Luke Murphy, Mark Duffy, Tom Thorpe etc. Worksop are the same as well.

On 23/04/2023 at 13:51, IWEDFM said:

I watched the Macclesfield doc last summer that was similar to the Salford/Wrexham ones. Wouldn't mind seeing another series of it. They seem to be climbing the leagues quicker than Bury are.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

I watched the Macclesfield doc last summer that was similar to the Salford/Wrexham ones. Wouldn't mind seeing another series of it. They seem to be climbing the leagues quicker than Bury are.

Where can I find that doc? I would love to watch it 

1 minute ago, Beighton Owl 87 said:

It's on bbc iplayer it's called Robbie Savage: Making Macclesfield FC. 

Cheers mate but I think you have to be based in the UK to be able to watch iplayer 

On 11/04/2023 at 12:58, SnowyOwl13 said:

Think this idea was ditched after it was very unpopular with the fans.

It's an idea that has been done before, Barrow FC are actually based in Manchester and travel on the coach to home games.

Yeah this is an interesting growing phenomenon - you've mentioned Barrow, on a slightly more obscure level Hereford train at Aston Uni which is right on the other side of Birmingham and Berwick Rangers now train near Edinburgh since it offers a much bigger pool of players than rural Northumberland.

The flipside of course is that a lot of clubs' connections with the local community are tenuous to begin with, training miles away only makes it worse. The idea of Wednesday training in London would be absolutely toxic in my eyes. Players seem happy to commute pretty long distances anyway, doesn't Bannan still live near Birmingham?

On 12/04/2023 at 12:24, darra said:

Funny how it can still affect you after all these years. There I was walking out of their ground next minute I'm on the floor getting my head kicked in. I'd gone to every game home and away that season and hadn't missed a home game for years. Because of it, I missed the BDM so yes I'm glad they're doing crap and hopefully, those who tw@ted me will be in a load of pain like I was

I feel same about Bradford City and Middlesborough for similar reasons! lol

• Like 1