Arsène Wenger…. Just thinking back

It was horrible. 

Their greatest ever manger and one of the most important managers in English football history. There is very much English football before Wenger and English football after him. 

Three league titles, seven FA Cups. 

Yes, he made mistakes in his last several years, for some reason thinking that Arsenal were going to compete at the very highest level with a team largely consisting of smaller, more technical footballers lacking the physical power of his great title winning sides. But he still managed to get them in the Champs League most seasons and won them three more FA cups during that period. Also - he was clearly hamstrung by the move to the Emirates which hit his transfer budget. 

Just now, areNOTwhatTHEYseem said:

Isn't that largely because he had to spend relatively less than his top-end rivals in order to pay for their new stadium?

Wasn’t it common knowledge that they had money but he wouldn’t spend, hench the fans frustrations 

6 minutes ago, Django said:

Wasn’t it common knowledge that they had money but he wouldn’t spend, hench the fans frustrations 

According to Wenger, they had to cut costs: “In 2006 the most difficult period of my life started. We had restricted finances, we had to pay back a huge amount of money and we had to sell our best players."

They reportedly owed around £260m in loan debt.

33 minutes ago, Django said:

It was time for him to move on though in the end

The decline in the quality of his sides was pretty much year on year from 06 onwards 

Not quite sure that was a fault of Wenger.

But it meant the end for him. When a manager has been as successful as he had, as soon as you stop winning things turn sour.

They've hardly done anything since he left.

He was perhaps in the role a little too long, fickle fanbase built on social media accelerated the bile towards him.

In answer to the OP - Graham Taylor when managing England and how that tag followed him afterwards. Good, genuine guy who gave his all and ridiculed for it - think back to how the papers treated him at the time. 

13 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

Can you think of a worse ‘hounding out’ of a job than this?  

(In England) 

It was pathetic looking back. 

I thought it was pathetic at the time . Seven FA Cups.....7. Champions League every year. Why did they think they were entitled to more than that? 

I was living in North London at the time and my driving instructor was a big Arsenal fan and even though he hated the abuse Wenger was getting he just said it was the end of an era and they needed a change. I pointed out the success he had had and he just said 'he has been found out, he won't win with us ever again'.

2 hours ago, HighworthOwl said:

Always liked Arsène Wenger as a manager. But he talks some utter s**t in his new role. 

Dont think he ever beat a Wednesday team. Which is incredible when you consider how good they were in the late 90s and how bad we were. 

Arsenal beat us three times under Wenger: September ‘96 (4-1), March ‘98 (1-0) and March ‘99 (3-0).