Arsène Wenger…. Just thinking back

I think the last four seasons of Wenger, when it was clear he needed to change his transfer policy were extremely frustrating. 

Every season they needed solid defenders and a defensive midfielder, every year he bought tippy tappy attacking midfielders. 

They still bought poor , unnecessary players after he left, such as Nicolas Pepe, but he could hardly get a signing right towards the end. 

I think his last years were affected by the rise of player power, and his replacement Unai Emery - an excellent manager- was also hounded out but idiots and disrespectful players. 

10 hours ago, punkskaphil said:

Arsenal beat us three times under Wenger: September ‘96 (4-1), March ‘98 (1-0) and March ‘99 (3-0).

Yep. 

He never won at Hillsborough, but then we were only in the PL for three more seasons after he got appointed in 1996/1997. 

Pretty sure Arsenal relegated us in 00? 3-3 draw? 

• Like 2

Let’s be honest, it did go very stale for him at Arsenal, and there were some shocking results along the way. 8-2 at Old Trafford? 

That said, how they have performed since he went does show that competing in the PL these days is not an easy task, and I agree that the way he was hounded out by some section of the fans was very disrespectful. 

20 hours ago, Kopparberg said:

The banners, the AFTV, the chants to get out… very embarrassing… 

and all because they were finishing 4th etc

Now what does that remind me of..................??

The way he was hounded out was dreadful, considering what he'd done for the club. On the other hand, he was looking well past his sell by date. Even the most forward thinking and innovative managers eventually end up behind the curve rather than ahead of it. Maybe he should have been quietly persuaded to retire while his reputation remained high?

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, I Love Coffee said:

Greatest manager in the history of the PL

Not sure about that, but I think you could argue that he's the most impactful.

Nutrition, sports science, recruitment and so forth drastically changed once he came in.